“A beautiful hotel”

Ranked #35 of 86 Hotels in Montevideo
Quebec - Canada
“A beautiful hotel”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

It was very new, so the facilities were fresh and it wasn't too busy. It was in a good location. Staff were helpful, breakfast was good, room was nice. It was very new, so some of the facilities weren't quite finished, like the gym. No tea making in the room

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I spent just 1 day at this hotel. It's in walking distance to the city center and in a safe zone. The rooms are clean an confortable. The price is fair considering what they offer to the guests. The famous Mercado del Puerto is easy to reach from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Antonio D
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I went with a November promotion from Buque Turism and really loved this hotel. It is close to Plaza Independencia, the money exchange houses, and good restaurants. The rooms are well-decorated with good air-conditioning and TV, as well as floor-length mirrors, big closets, a minibar, a safe, and really clean bathrooms. I spoke in Spanish with the staff so I can´t vouch for their English skills, but they were extremely helpful and polite, they even opened the rooftop balcony for me to take photos of the view in the morning. The sauna, lap pool, American-style breakfast, and free coffe and tea were all great bonuses. There were also public-access computers and laundry services, although I didn´t use those. The hotel seems to have a business/conference room next door so many guests are businessmen during the week. If you stay here, go eat at El Fogón for dinner, it was the best restaurant in the Center and had an enormous menu.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bairesexpat
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Not bad. Tastefully refurbished, stately old hotel. Stayed 5 nights while working in Montevideo. We picked it because our hosts in Montevideo paid 4 nights at a discounted rate, and the hotel allowed us the same rate for the extra night. Attractive, large room with a nicely finished wood floor. Clean, modern room. Small balcony opening over the street. Nice view. Good sized bath. Two small beds pushed together. Comfortable mattresses and pillows. Since our room faced the main street with no adjoining guest rooms, so there was no noise from other guests but some vehicle noise from the street, which did awaken us a couple of nights. Most other rooms were off the street but adjoining. No idea what those were like. Housekeeping forgot to leave toilet paper a couple of days and mistakenly took the shower cap, but otherwise did a good job cleaning. Front desk staff was courteous and attentive enough, but nothing special. Minibar never worked at all despite 3 complaints and corresponding promises to repair or replace. Internet always worked well. Nice complimentary breakfast with hot eggs and tasty pastry and great view of the sea on the top floor of the hotel. Terrific way to start the day. Limited guest services otherwise. Our one experience with room service was so bad it was funny (two $12 cold thin hamburgers on dry bread with a small portion of cold soggy fries), but a number of restaurant options are very close by. The area seemed safe enough at night. It is a short walk to the beach and to a supermarket. We never went to a nice restaurant, although available. After work, we ate 3 nights at the Il Mondo Italian fast food place, 3 (short) blocks away on the Avenida 18 de Julio, as it was a zero stress, lively and happy yet quiet place were we could talk, with plenty of nice customers and lots of tasty cheap food and ice cold draft beer. I think they adopted us. Overall, a very pleasant stay for a very low price.

Room Tip: The rooms on the main street (Soriano) have some street noise, not bad, but no common walls with oth...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lake Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Good location in old town, happy with clean hotel! The price pay is good value what you pay for.The staff is friendly and helpful.. The area and the clean bath room is excellent.if you want good location and clean hotel this is the one.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Golfboyyk
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I spent five nights there for a business meeting. On my third day, after I was told that my room won´t be cleaned because I spent all morning there I left some money in my purse (hidden in my bagagge). For my surprise, when I return in to spend the night, my room was clean and my money was stolen. I inmediatly reported the incident in the front desk but after two days none of the managers could let my any response. During my check out, the manager explained me that they reviewed the input system but nobody (not even the housekeeping) enter my room. I explain that it couldn´t be true since my room was cleaned and I left it undone, but they do not believe me. It is not reconmmended walk during night, the streets are not lighting and five of my business partners were assault when they were returning to the hotel in the evening. On my last day, a plumbing problem do not allow us to take a bath before we leave for a 14 hours flight. I honestly do not recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had purchased 3 nights accomodation with wotiff.com 10 days before our arrival, all confirmed and credit card charged, Arrived at hotel at 2pm to be told that 3rooms had plumbing problem and they had taken the liberty of arranging another hotel, a 2 star hotel that cost half the price we paid, no offer to refund the difference and no other options offered. We were advised by the Manager that we were the 3rd booking they had to relocate that day!!!!

After wottif became involved they agreed to show us the affected rooms, the plumbing problem then turned into a bug problem in 1 double room, the other room was being painted and looked like a single room. After 2 hours of tough negotiations and demanding a hotel of the same ranking they agreed to send us to the Palladium for 1 night which was the only other hotel with a pool, this hotel they insisted was sold out so I had to bring up their availability on hotel websites.

Wotiff confirmed that the Hotel was apologetic that they had oversold their rooms and could not accomodate us, when you have prepaid and the booking is not refundable this is not acceptable.

I was extremely disappointed with their lack of professionalism, as was wotiff when they were hung up on 7 times when they tried to talk to the hotel on our behalf. A warning email would have been appropriate rather then waiting until we arrived at reception. A very tiring and disappointing experience which still hasn't ended as we had booked 3 nights.

I have no idea w

Room Tip: ring hotel first to make sure they have not onsold your prepaid room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple