“Relaxing Place”

Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 1, 2013

After I went out of my hotel in the morning, I started walking around Plaza Independencia and walked through peatonal Sarandi searching for a café for breakfast.
I found this café and I sat inside. I had coffee and croissant. It was really a very delicious one and excellent coffee. I was able to see teatro Solis and enjoy looking at this beautiful building.
The staff were very good and the service was great. It is a very nice place for recharging after a walk around Montevideo. I think they should look into their prices.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Very few places open and accessible in the old town at night. It was fairly quiet in here at around 21:45h on a Monday night.
Had the wasabi salmon, despite reading a previous review, and really enjoyed it - it goes better with rice than the potatoes that they serve it with. Potatoes are tasty - just that the salmon and wasabi sauce goes better with rice.
Service was a bit hit and miss, but we had a pleasant enough meal, and decent malbec by the copa.
Parilla opposite was busy and the next street with Irish bar was lively.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

After walking around, Café Bacacay is a nice option to stop and have eat something. We had lunch there and really enjoyed the atmosphere. It's traditional and modern at the same time. We chose a table inside and the wall has two huge window panes offering a view of Teatro Solis, which is a nice touch. Ecen if you stop for a drink or coffee, I think it's worth visiting to have a taste of downtown Montevideo.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Nice place, excellent location, nice and friendly staff. But the food is very basic, sometimes downright bad, and EXTREMELY expensive for what it is.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

if you stay in cafe bacacay you can enjoy the theatro solis view...stop. tannat wine from pisano was delicious, food we tried could be ok for english basic pub, not more...and you pay a lot for service (bread in plastic bag). the famous, for lonely planet, wasabi salmon is good salmon but you can't taste it because of the strong sauce, milanesa was like an italian milanesa. the most expensive and low quality in our holiday.