“Sophisticated food for a great value!! Loved the ‘menu du jour!”
Review of WASA Ethnik Food - CLOSED

WASA Ethnik Food
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ciudad Vieja
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Loved the ‘menu du jour ‘ that includes a starter and a main dish. I’m from the US and my husband is French and we are both food lovers in search of the unique experience. Having lunch at Wasa yesterday made our day and made us regret not eating their earlier.

Walter and Stephanie, the chefs and owners, take the great fresh Uruguayan produce and bring them to an incredible level of sophistication. If the fish filets or the polenta cake shine just by themselves, combine them with the touch of sauce, herbs, fresh vegetables or fruits on the plates and you will be amazed and probably like us, pleasantly surprised by the flavor combinations. Walter is an artist when it comes to presentation……. colors, plate arrangement , texture, everything is precise and cared for.

Walter and Stephanie are a very friendly and will gladly have a chat with you. When it is rush hour and time to cook, remaining polite and attentive to the customers, they are not the kind that will spend an excessive amount of time socializing with the guests, they are focusing on delivering the perfect plate. They cook and plate right in front of your eyes on the other side of the bar, just enjoy the show if you choose to sit at the bar.

Stephanie offers a great service, she did an amazing job judging our pace, not rushing us and not letting us wait for too long. It is a level of service that we find only in the best restaurants. We will have to go again to see if it was luck or we hope and think …. professionalism.

We’ve been living in Montevideo for 2 years, we knew about Wasa but were hesitant going to eat there due to past experiences of eating in French owned restaurants outside of France. They are sometimes good but can be disappointing and overrated. Our experience at Wasa made us really proud to live in Uruguay and for my husband to be French. Great Uruguayan fresh produce meets the hands of a great French cook in a relaxed atmosphere here at Wasa.
Wasa restaurant would be a favorite for us even if it was in France with 100’s of other great restaurants to choose from.

Overall, what a treat!! We will definitely go again soon.
Erica and Grégoire, (RentinUruguay.com)

3  Thank RicaB1
There are newer reviews for WASA Ethnik Food

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Hard to find this little place off Sarandí. Regardless, bagels in Montevideo. Sold.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I was in this restaurant yesterday, and the food is realy good, with fresh ingredients, with is made right in front of you. I realy enjoy the food, simple with a fair price.
It is open in luch only, and is quite hard do get a table, since the place is very small.
You have to visit if you were in Montevideo.

1  Thank loucoportrip
Reviewed March 19, 2012

You will find WASA just off the Sarandi Mall on Zabala.
Just like its French cousin one block down on Sarandi, its also a narrow building with a bar that runs down the length of the narrow shop. This means that if you are not looking carefully you will miss it... it´s really not much more than just a doorway.
There are only 14 seats, and the place packs out with locals between 12 and 2.30pm, so come early is the best way to guarantee a seat.

On offer was a fixed menu, entre and main for 200 pesos (US$10).
The entre consisted of a soft poached egg on a bed of lentils, tomato and some other bits, and topped with thin slices of fried sweet potato .
The main was the most tender chicken I think I´ve ever had in Uruguay on a skewer, with some sort of pasty pulp sprinkled with a garnish of raw vegetable. It was all most unusual and really very nice.

On the down side, the decor is a bit shabby, and I found the narrow wooden stools rather uncomfortable for a lunch seating. Also no butter or oil was served with the bread.

Unless you are on a tight budget I would recommend Estretcho. It´s a bit more expensive for the fixed menu, but includes desert. It is more comfortable and has better ambience. Both are lunch only places catering to the business community and closed on weekends.

Having said that, either restaurant is a unique experience in Uruguay, and worthy of your custom. If I hadn´t been to Estretcho a few days earlier I would be raving.

I forgot to bring my camera today, but I will return so I can post some pics soon.

1  Thank Kanan A
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Small place. Be ready to wait for the seat ...but it is worth for a wait. Food is simply excellent. Unexpected combinations, everything well prepared. The price is really low comparing what you get.