“Wonderful place for local art”

Acatras del Mercado - Galeria de Arte
Ranked #5 of 39 Shopping in Montevideo
More attraction details
Owner description: The gallery offers a varied selection of fine arts and crafts, all by Uruguayan artists. Unique pieces exhibited in a special setting.Art and architecture are combined in an exceptional fashion.Visit us, You will receive personalized attention and good information.We ship all over the world,we speak Spanish and English.A special atention is made to the clients who mention that they have saw us in tripadvisor.
Brentwood, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful place for local art”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Visited the shop while spending a few day in Montevideo. I saw a metal sculpture that I loved, but was too heavy to carry home. My daughter took a picture and obtained their e-mail address. Once back in the States I contacted the owner about having the sculpture shipped. He was very helpful--had his dad build a box to make sure the piece arrived safely. Great service, and wonderful art. This is a must visit stop in Montevideo.

Visited September 2012

Durham, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An extraordinary space for original art (!)”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I visit Montevideo twice a year. It happens to be my hometown, although I live and work in the USA, at North Carolina Central University in Durham. Years ago, I discovered this quaint art shop where some very attractive pieces were shown. An oil painting by Alvaro Bonilla caught my eye and I eventually purchased it from Yamandú, owner of Acatrás del Mercado. This young man, who happens to be an Architect, decided to devote most of his time to the art business but with a very specific idea in mind: to showcase original works of contemporary Uruguayan artists and specially those dedicated to non-commercial, production-line items. At the same time, the focus is not on amateur artisans but rather on accomplished, seasoned professionals. Although much of what is shown at Acatrás can be classified as avant-garde, in my view Yamandú has a keen eye for what I consider contemporary classics. He has developed a small space with a few chosen pieces into a full-fledged art gallery crowded with very attractive--and dissimilar--items. From exquisite jewelry to highly accomplished ceramic pieces, interesting paintings and beautiful wooden sculptures. At some point he had to expand and opened his attic that now houses the larger pieces and, on occasion, features the work of a single artist. If indeed this wonderful place is located in the heart of the Mercado del Puerto area--the most ubiquitous "tourist trap" in the city--it is most certainly not a place where one goes to purchase souvenirs. I strongly recommend it to those who want to know what is really happening in the contemporary art scene of a small city with a rather unique perspective on cultural developments. This afternoon I had the pleasure to visit Acatrás del Mercado and walked out with a lovely piece, as usual...

Visited July 2012
2 Thank hxaubet
Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique and inspiring gallery”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We have visited Montivideo 3 times and each time go back to this wonderful gallery. In a sea of mass produced trinkets and souvenirs around South America this shop is a gem. The array of original, hand made art is magnificent. In our 30+ day trip around the continent this shop has been our all time favorite. Each time I have come away with unique gifts to take home to artist friends who themselves create for a living. From jewelry to paintings, pottery to sculptures each piece is a treasure. The owner is helpful and attentive, anxious to tell you about the artists and will wrap your purchases with the care due to these precious creations. This gallery is a must see for anyone stopping in Montivideo.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank CJP251
San Jose, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful crafts and service”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have just visited a few South American countries and this store is the best I found for local arts and crafts. The prices are really good as is the selection. It's located quite near the dock where the cruise ships tie up and the central market where people go to eat BBQ meat. I bought several items and they wrapped them so well that I know that I can get back to California without any breakage. Very nice people. Wonderful array of artistic products. Highly recommend.

Visited December 2011
New York City
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Super unique art gallery in Ciudad Vieja near the port.”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We first discovered this art gallery in 2009 when we were visiting Montevideo for the first time on a day trip from Buenos Aires. We left with a huge, beautiful ceramic plate and have returned every time we go to Montevideo for a treasure or two. On the last trip we found a funky hand painted piece of driftwood in vibrant colors.

The gallery has all kinds of art: ceramic, wood, paintings, jewelry, sculpture and more. The staff and owner are truly committed to supporting local artists and art in Uruguay and their items are not mass produced or commercial. Another nice thing is that there's something for every price range, even some bargains for such beautiful art.

It's a great place for gifts for others or yourself. I would highly recommend a visit even just to look and see the different types of art and Uruguayan artists.

Visited September 2011