“Unique and inspiring gallery”

Acatras del Mercado - Galeria de Arte
Ranked #1 of 44 Shopping in Montevideo
More attraction details
Owner description: The gallery offers a varied selection of fine arts and crafts, all by Uruguayan artists. Unique pieces exhibited in a special setting.Art and architecture are combined in an exceptional fashion.Visit us, You will receive personalized attention and good information.We ship all over the world,we speak Spanish and English.A special atention is made to the clients who mention that they have saw us in tripadvisor.
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We have visited Montivideo 3 times and each time go back to this wonderful gallery. In a sea of mass produced trinkets and souvenirs around South America this shop is a gem. The array of original, hand made art is magnificent. In our 30+ day trip around the continent this shop has been our all time favorite. Each time I have come away with unique gifts to take home to artist friends who themselves create for a living. From jewelry to paintings, pottery to sculptures each piece is a treasure. The owner is helpful and attentive, anxious to tell you about the artists and will wrap your purchases with the care due to these precious creations. This gallery is a must see for anyone stopping in Montivideo.

1  Thank CJP251
in 3 reviews
"port"
"gourd"

Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have just visited a few South American countries and this store is the best I found for local arts and crafts. The prices are really good as is the selection. It's located quite near the dock where the cruise ships tie up and the central market where people go to eat BBQ meat. I bought several items and they wrapped them so well that I know that I can get back to California without any breakage. Very nice people. Wonderful array of artistic products. Highly recommend.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We first discovered this art gallery in 2009 when we were visiting Montevideo for the first time on a day trip from Buenos Aires. We left with a huge, beautiful ceramic plate and have returned every time we go to Montevideo for a treasure or two. On the last trip we found a funky hand painted piece of driftwood in vibrant colors.

The gallery has all kinds of art: ceramic, wood, paintings, jewelry, sculpture and more. The staff and owner are truly committed to supporting local artists and art in Uruguay and their items are not mass produced or commercial. Another nice thing is that there's something for every price range, even some bargains for such beautiful art.

It's a great place for gifts for others or yourself. I would highly recommend a visit even just to look and see the different types of art and Uruguayan artists.

5  Thank schosar
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I really liked this shop, just very close to the amazing Mercado del Puerto. It's full of very original souvenirs to bring home and not the tasteless type but true pieces of art so a great way bring home a nice memory to display. I bought a ceramic vase with Torres Garcia-like carvings/drawings, super nice and amazingly packed, I think it could have resisted not only the journey back home but a nuclear war ;-)

1  Thank Nico_LND