“Top class accommodation in Montevideo”

Casa Sarandi Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 35 Montevideo B&B and Inns
Cork, Ireland
“Top class accommodation in Montevideo”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed in Casa Sarandi for two nights in September 2013. I cannot say enough good things about this accommodation.

The apartment was pretty, perfectly clean and very well kept. It is well located at the edge of the old town and close to the nice shopping street. There are good amenities on the same street as the apartment - corner shop, pharmacy, etc.

My room was beautiful & very cosy and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom and shower facilties were perfect. I rarely feel at home in hotel/B&B accommodation but Casa Sarandi was different. Because the room was so comfortable, I found it hard to get moving to see the sights on occasion!

I met Karen on arrival and her welcome & willingness to help was exceptional. I am quite well travelled and it is rare that I have come across this type of welcome. Karen was more than willing to help in any way she could.

In my view, Montevideo is underexposed to the tourist circuit and this is part of the reason why I enjoyed my short stay. Karen's tips on what to see and do were critical for me in getting the most out of my trip. I had the pleasure of being Karen's first Irish visitor - I now hope that I can convince many more to follow me.

Thank you, Karen, for making Montevideo a highlight of my South America adventure. I wish we had more time to chat during my stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Hi Declan, so great to get a review from our first Irish visitor! :) We are completely in agreement with you that "Montevideo is underexposed to the tourist circuit" and so glad to hear that "Karen's tips on what to see and do were critical for me in getting the most out of my trip." We absolutely love Montevideo (and Uruguay) having arrived here just over a dozen years ago ourselves, it's what we enjoy most - making sure that you get to see those places that really none of the guidebooks in the paltry space they usually give Uruguay, seem to know about.

Thanks for the kind words - and thanks for the lovely little reminder of Cork! It has pride of place in our living room at home :) All the best and hope to see you again at some point for a longer trip - Karen and Sergio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Finnish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 2, 2013

As a super picky gal working in tourism, I can absolutely say I LOVE CASA SARANDI and would recommend it to even the pickiest traveler. Things I loved about my stay: incredibly comfortable bed, great heat & A/C in the whole apartment and in each room, lovely balconies, beautiful light, fast WiFi, QUIET ROOMS thanks to double-paned windows, great showers and spacious en suite bathrooms, double-ply toilet paper, super clean and nice smelling, lots of common space if you choose to mingle with other guests, cool deco building, super fast elevator (never waited more than one minute!), 24-hour pharmacy right downstairs, EXCELLENT and personalized recommendations of what to do and where to go by Karen the owner and prime location in well connected area. In a city where you really need a local to show you whats up, Casa Sarandi and Karen are just the ticket.

Loved it. Will be back in summer to test out the beaches :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MadiBuenosAires
La Plata
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our stay in casa Sarandí couldn't have been better! Karen was an excellent host, her recommendations were amazing: we went to great restaurants and enjoyed an incredible show at Teatro Solís! Our room was huge and lovely decorated, the kitchen had everything ready to make the perfect cup of coffee, and there's good internet connection available.
The house is located in the old end of town: it is quite picturesque to stroll around in the afternoons, and you could also take some nice photos of the area.
Right next to the B&B there's a drugstore open until late at night and a small convenience store where you could get snacks for breakfast.
Thanks, Karen, for the delightful time we had at your home!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Soledad, thank you for the kind review. We hope to receive you again in the future! -- Karen
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was my second time at Casa Sarandi and the quality is still excellent. Karen is a great host and now a friend. Next time in Montevideo I'm 100% sure I'll stay again at Casa Sarandi. You can check my first review in my page. I have some few things to add. There is a new restaurant nearby that offers a excellent luch called FOC. For breakfast I still recommend the Café Brasileiro and La Abadia, and Copacabana during weekends.
Best wishes Karen and Sergio!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Many thanks to our hosts Karen and Sergio for all their input, care and follow up to make sure we doing all that we planned and wanted to in Montevideo and Punte Del Este. Our accommodation was very comfortable and was as pictured on the website. Casa Sarandi is located in Ciudad Vieja close to museums, galleries and shopping. And thanks to Karen we ate at fabulous restaurants!! We stayed 5 nights, some nights we shared with another couple. Very pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Maisons-Laffitte, France
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Located in Ciudad Vieja, a district which is not very safe at night, it is neither a guesthouse nor a bed and breakfast, simply a flat for rent divided into three bedrooms with a common kitchen and a living room. After reception, communication with the owners mainly by phone or Facebook to know the main events in Montevideo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pgtf57
Seattle
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a fabulous guest house! Very clean, excellent location, and the kitchen was great to use. Karen was especially wonderful, and provided lots of tips for things to do in the city that were specific to us and what we wanted to see. Their guide book was also great- with insights into the best places to eat and interesting things to do that we would not have thought of or known about on our own!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Jen and Erv, it was a pleasure to receive you! -- Karen