“Friendly and confortable”

Ranked #4 of 34 Montevideo B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Friendly and confortable”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Casa Sarandi is a great option in Montevideo. The owner Karen is an immigrant from Wales, very friendly, gentle and helpful. I asked her so many favors before and after arriving and she did it all always with a smile and courtesy.
The house has 3 or 4 rooms (I don't remember), some en suite others don't. I stayed in both en suite rooms in different periods and both are great. Confortable, very spacious, clean, organized and equipped.
The location is very good, in the heart of Ciudad Vieja (Old City), so it is very peaceful at night. It is 5 minutes walking distance to the Plaza Independencia (Independence Square), the heart of Montevideo. There is a delicious restaurant (Dueto) and great cafes (Café Brasileiro) nearby, just ask her some directions of restaurants and bars. Pocitos and Punta Carretas are two neighbourhoods with great restaurants and pubs, although they are far from Ciudad Vieja there is no traffic in Montevideo and the taxis are VERY cheap (7 dollars from the hotel to the restaurants/pubs area of Pocitos/Punta Carretas), so it feels close.
The price is also good.
The only thing I missed at Casa Sarandi was breakfast which is not offered, but since there are some awesome Cafés nearby the hotel, you can take breakfast in different places each day ;)
Also, there is a great kitchen with tables at Casa Sarandi and fully equipped, so you can cook if you want to.

PS: when you are there, ask Karen about her band called "Trelew". She sings in the band, and it is beautiful. Folk music mixing uruguayan, argentinian and welsh melodies and rhythms.

1 Thank Eduardo A
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Eduardo and Debora, it was so great to meet you! Thanks for the lovely review and it was our pleasure to help you out with your enquiries, particularly about the vineyards - we actually learned a lot ourselves, so no problem at all! We were also delighted to read your other reviews of the places we had recommended for you to visit and to see that Bouza was your best dining experience ever! Wow! And thanks for the plug for Karen's music ;) Keep in touch -- Karen and Sergio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I travelled to Montevideo on my own, spent a few days at Casa Sarandi and had a great time. Casa Sarandi is in a great location close to the main centre of Montevideo and the old city (Cuidad Vieja) which has great eateries and interesting buildings and history. The rooms are great and the Casa is well set out with all you could possibly need for your stay.

Karen the host was wonderful and helpful from the first point of contact. Karen has great knowledge of Uruguay and made me feel very welcome. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, felt safe and would certainly recommend Casa Sarandi to future travellers!

Room Tip: La Sirena is the pick of rooms in my opinion......
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Loreley, we appreciate your comments and kind words. When you get your B&B started in Mexico be sure to let us know! We definitely intend to be guests! All the best with the rest of your travels, Karen and Sergio.
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had a very good experience staying in Casa Sarandi. We had the room with the separate bathroom and that wasn't a problem. This room is very big with a couch in it and we loved the art in it.

The kitchen was great to use and prepare your own breakfast. The sittingroom is also great to sit and play a game or read a bit.
The owner is very nice, when you arrive you feel like visiting an old friend. We received a map from Montevideo and got all the information we needed (we got a folder with great information about restaurants, supermarkets, laundryservice etc.) We felt the neighbourhood to be very safe.
We loved it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. We are really happy to read how you liked the Duna room and we can report we have installed a wastebasket as you suggested, it was a really useful suggestion! :) We hope that your travels are still going well, and look forward to receiving you again in the future! All the very best Karen and Sergio
Cary, NC
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have a hard time picking a score for this place. On the one hand, the owner was extraordinarily helpful - booking me theater tickets, calling to reserve a bus ticket, and providing a lot of useful information. Wi-fi was fine, and there were phones available. On the other hand, I had a couple of issues with otherwise fine accommodation, and I was less happy than I expected with the location.

It was at best disconcerting to be told that on leaving the building after dark I should on no account turn west towards the post office tower, while heading east would be quite safe. Especially when re-entering Casa Sarandi’s apartment building required me to turn my back to the street while wrestling somewhat painfully with a large and recalcitrant iron key. I imagine this is less of a problem for couples, but as a woman traveling alone I felt less secure than I would have liked, the more so after taking a good look at the Old Town, which even in daylight felt a bit iffy in some areas.

I had Duna, the room with the bath across the hall. That wasn't a problem (especially as I was the only guest for two of my three nights), but I was unhappy about the lack of a bath mat and an extractor fan. Also, the closet in the bedroom was behind two incompatible doors and the sofa, like the chairs in the sitting room, was uncomfortable. The kitchen was well equipped with hardware, but unlike the last apartment I stayed in (a gem in Budapest) there was nothing to eat or drink.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank thursdaysd
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. It is always helpful to receive detailed feedback.

We say to our guests that the port area -like ports in most cities-- is best to avoid at night. Besides there's nothing much to do there at night. Casa Sarandi is actually at the opposite compass point to the port, 15 minutes walk away, but just to be sure I recommend to our guests that when they leave the house they turn right (towards the city centre, the Solis Theatre, the area with bars and restaurants), thus avoiding any confusion. The advice is meant to be a helpful guide and I am sorry to discover that instead it made you nervous about the area.

Two of our bathrooms -including Duna where you stayed-- have large windows so we did not install extractor fans. Our one interior bathroom does have a fan.

Just as a clarification for other readers, we don't offer food at the guesthouse -we prefer to encourage our guests to frequent the historic cafes and restaurants of all categories that surround Casa Sarandi, or to cook for themselves using the fully-equipped kitchen-- but we do keep tea, coffee and sugar (and some other bits for cooking) available.

Regarding the bathmat, this was an oversight of our cleaning lady who is normally very careful with these things. We are so sorry about that. What a shame you did not drop us a quick email or call to let us know, so that we could have remedied the situation straight away.

Many thanks again for the feedback and we hope you had a great new year! Very best wishes Karen (and Sergio)
Mount Hope, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

"Unfortunately we have received a large booking for a wedding for the entire guesthouse and we would like to ask if you would mind very much if we help find you alternative accomodation." This is the email that we received fro Casa Sarandi Guesthouse less than 2 weeks before our departure on our South America trip. Of course we minded but there is not much we could do except warn other travellers. Simply be aware.
Roy & Leanne

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
It is a great disappointment to us to receive this review. We value our clients a great deal and know that when they book they have often done quite bit of research in order to arrive at us. The wedding party was a very large booking (25 nights) which makes a significant difference in a small business with just three rooms like ours. We contacted this guest (who had booked a two-day stay in the middle of the wedding party dates) six weeks ahead of their arrival in order to find out their preferences and match them with another hotel in the same location that they would also love.

We did not cancel the client and would have respected their booking depending on their response. This can be seen in the quotation cited above.

We received a positive initial first response, we expressed our gratitude for the understanding and set about reserving preferential accommodation with another hotel that we use frequently and trust.

We were then surprised to receive a subsequent mail cancelling their reservation and the alternative reservation that we had made on their behalf. We offered a further explanation for our situation, and another option for accommodation, but received no response.

We opted to be frank with the client rather than invent a story about renovations or such, as would be standard. We work from the basis of a mutually respectful relationship based on trust with all our clients, down to the fact that regularly we do not take deposits, nor do we take inventory, and we feel it needs to be a coherent process. – Karen and Sergio
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having booked Casa Sarandi for the new year, Karen was worried that there wouldnt be enough for us to to do as the city is very quiet over this holiday. Happily we were looking for a quietish end to a 3 week trip. Karen found out as much as possible about what was going on and all her recommendations were absolutely perfect for us (two couples, same family travelling together). From the beautiful local music (Museo del Vino) and delicious food (Santa Catarina and La Estacada) to the ideal spot to watch a panoramic of the midnight fireworks, we couldnt have asked for more. The guesthouse itself was perfectly located, beautifully laid out and had bonus free WiFi. Would highly recommend Casa Sarandi and would love to go back in the future. Thank you Karen and Sergio.

Room Tip: All rooms were excellent - just depends whether you want en suite or are happy with a private bathro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaSarandi, Owner at Casa Sarandi Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Joe, Becca, Dominic and Heidi - what can we say? We were SO delighted to read your review.

As you noted we were worried about what you would do over the New Year as it can be very quiet on the 31st and 1st. And so we were really, really happy to know that you had such a good time and that our suggestions worked for you.

Thanks so much, and we hope to receive you again in the future if you are ever in this part of the world. -- Karen and Sergio
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Casa Sarandi guesthouse. I booked directly through their website and got a very quick, extremely friendly response. Karen and Sergio don’t live in the apartment but will meet you on arrival and are always available by telephone (provided in apartment) or email. Karen sat down with me and made all sorts of great recommendations on activities in and around town. As you will note below, I loved my room at Casa Sarandi, but it is the interaction with the owners that stands out as the best part of my stay in Montevideo. They are amazingly friendly without being even slightly intrusive.

The guesthouse is really a spacious three bedroom, three bathroom, third floor apartment in the heart of the old city. Located two blocks from the water and two blocks from Plaza Constitucion. You’re likely to be sharing the apartment with a few other guests, but that was not at all uncomfortable with so much space. In fact, it was great to have other tourists with whom to share sightseeing tips and experiences. You can come and go as you please without feeling like you’re inconveniencing others. I felt safe in the neighborhood even when returning from a wine bar at 01:00, although I wouldn’t venture over towards the port area.

The entrance to the building could be easily overlooked on Buenos Aires Ave. It’s sandwiched between a pharmacy and a grocery store with another grocery/liquor store across the street. Just inside the front door you find a small lobby with a staircase and a 1930’s cage elevator. Although on a busy street, the double glazed windows keep the noise out of the rooms. My room was particularly large (just as pictured on their website) with a private bath directly across the hall. There is a ceiling fan and great A/C in each room.

I used the wireless internet with my laptop, but there is also a shared PC available in the entrance way. The internet was fast enough to quickly upload my photos and even stream Netflix on an afternoon when I needed a break from sightseeing and heat.

I really didn’t make use of it, but there’s a well equipped kitchen to make coffee or store beverages and snacks. I suppose you could be more adventurous and make a meal, but with so many great, reasonably priced restaurants in short walking distance it seems unlikely.

On my last night I went with another Casa Sarandi guest to hear Karen sing at a nearby wine bar (Museo del Vino). It was the highlight of my trip.

Tip: Let Karen and Sergio make arrangements for a car from the airport. It was reasonably priced compared to a taxi (US$45.00) and very convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Blaise, thank you so much for the wonderfully complete review and the very kind words. We are so glad that you had such a good time and we will definitely keep you informed of Karen's show schedule when you prepare your next visit ;) See you in 2013 hopefully! All the very best, Karen and Sergio