“Charming atmosphere, mediocre food"”
Review of Dueto

Dueto
Ranked #25 of 1,055 Restaurants in Montevideo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ciudad Vieja
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Desperate for a decent meal in Montevideo after a surfeit of steak, I warily decided to heed the enthusiastic advice of TA posters and went to lunch at Dueto. Arriving, the welcome was friendly, and the dining room was lively--this place is clearly very popular with a well-heeled crowd of local regulars. Alas, the food: A miserly salad with mayonnaise dressing and one of the weirdest, heaviest and most tasteless versions of lasagna I've ever had in my life. This meat heavy concoction with a thick layers of béchamel sauce was made in a small round wooden bowl. It was topped with very hot melted cheese, but was cold in the center, so pre- made and then reheated in a connection oven of some kind. Instead of the succulent bolognese sauce I had been craving, I got a bizarre load of coarsely chopped meal, a few wild mushrooms, and, er, um, some chopped walnuts. Wish I had somewhere in Montevideo to suggest, but as delightful as the city may be, its restaurants are just dire.

2  Thank InveterateExplorer

Reviewed March 10, 2012

We arrived at about 9pm to find the restaurant empty. It´s just off Sarandi, the main drag which is bopping with bars, restaurants and loud music. The street is dead, which might explain the lack of people, although two more tables arrived soon after us.

The food is as good as is claimed in all the reviews, and my girl friend considers this place to be the best she has experienced in four years in Uruguay, and I wouldn´t disagree. When her serviette fell to the floor the waiter insisted on bringing her a clean one, even though she told him not to bother. The service is not to be faulted.

And it´s really fantastic value... You get gourmet food with silver service, probably cheaper than what you pay in a regular restaurant like the Passiva, if you choose the fixed menu. We had a three course meal with water and a glass of quality wine, and the bill came out at US$46.50.
This place has to be Uruguay’s best kept secret.

2  Thank Kanan A
Reviewed March 9, 2012

What a jewel of a restaurant in the heart of the Old Town. My husband and I like to dine here for the great atmosphere, attentive service and excellent quality of their daily menu. The chef provides internationally diverse menu options and a great wine list. My husband and I celebrated his birthday here a couple weeks ago and had another amazing meal. Most notably was my blue cheese risotto served with sweet breads. The sweet breads were crispy and perfectly cooked. The blue cheese complemented the dish so nicely. It was a refreshing surprise since I had never thought of combining blue cheese into a risotto. We finished our meal with a delicious crème brulée and a homemade organcello liquor. The overall price for this price fixe menu of a starter, entrée and dessert was around $18 US, a great price for such a lovely meal in a wonderfully sophisticated atmosphere. But don’t take our word for it, we suggest you try it out for yourself.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Very pleasant restaurant. Good Italian style food, we had lassagna and gnocchi, and the warm salad. Very good white wine, sauvignon blanc, Juan Gruau. Service very friendly and professional. A bit overpriced, though: 75 US doll. for a simple meal for two.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

I went with some friends and loved the charm of the place. The charm was just the start. The energetic chef came to sit with us at our table and when asked what of his menu he liked best, it was the lamb meatloaf. I was skeptical, but tried it an LOVED it. Not often do I eat something that is new and different. This was. If in Montevideo.....go to Dueto and tell the chef that "Alison" says Hi.