“Great budget option in a nice part of town”
Review of Pocitos Hostel

and 1 more site!
Pocitos Hostel
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great budget option in a nice part of town”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here for both the first few days and the last few days of my Uruguayan adventure. It is a small residential style building in a nice part of town with convenient bus access and walkable to a pleasant urban beach, restaurants and various shopping options. Friendly staff, available 24 hours, secure with a door buzzer entrance, clean and comfortable. WiFi is reliable and surprisingly fast.
The rooms have basic sturdy wooden bunkbeds with firm foam mattresses, thin sheets and good comforters. No air conditioning but fans in each room and large windows upstairs. Rooms are on the basement level or second story, the first story is a lounge area with TV and radio, office area with couches and a kitchen.
Bathrooms are serviceable. Very clean and modern but the upstairs baths (both toilet areas and shower stalls) are TINY. I'm a thin female and I felt crowded trying to shower and kept elbowing the wall and the toilet stalls almost had my knees hitting the door. The upstairs WC is a 2 shower (with curtains), 2 toilet (public restroom stalls) and 1 sink. The downstairs WCs are 2 full baths (shower, toilet and sink behind a regular door) which give a little more room.

Simply a pleasant place to stay and on the better side for a hostel, certainly cleaner and

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This hostel is worth the trip with taxi from the Centro, it's close to one of the nicest beaches in Montevideo, lots of clubs, restaurants, buses to the Old Town etc. The staff is really nice, they give you lots of good tips and are so helpful! The asado we had Saturday night was delicious and everyone went out on a club afterwards. So fun! The dorms and the bathrooms are clean and nice, and it is quiet when it is suppose to be. I would come back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thea E
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I had been looking for an affordable, nice place to stay in Montevideo. The location is great and the staff wonderful- they´re extremely helpful, friendly, and very cool. The rooms are basic (I had a single both my stays here) but clean. Being a solo woman traveler, I didn´t mix with most of the guests at the weekly parilla while I was there, as they tended to be guys who drank way too much. They also have breakfast served every morning, which is basic fruit and tea and bread and juice. Also a few blocks from the rambla, where you can enjoy the calmness of the beach.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lapulapu_718
California
Reviewed September 10, 2010

This is a different perspective, but gives a sense of how wonderful this hostel is. My daughter was staying there for a few days. I hadn't been able to get ahold of her by either cell phone or computer. I was sure she was just busy having fun, but as a mom was still worried. I finally called the hostel. It was 3 AM there but the phone was answered. I explained my concern and the guy who answered the phone knew exactly where my daughter was and what time she was due back. He put me at ease and had my daughter call me when she returned. I don't know of many other places that would respond in this manner. My daughter absolutely loved this hostel and all the people who run it. It was very quiet in Montevideo at this time of year, but the staff still put together a BBQ and gave my daughter many suggestions as to where to go and what to see. From a parent's viewpoint, this hostel is where you want your son or daughter to stay when visiting Montevideo.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank georgewCalifornia
New Concord, Ohio
Reviewed February 26, 2010

The first hostel we went to had messed up our reservation and was full, so we spent the night at Pocitos Hostel in the predominantly Jewish neighborhood Pocitos of Montevideo. Only a two minute walk from Pocitos beach, this hostel was charming and the staff very friendly. They are fluent in English. The fireplace in the common area was very inviting, and the hostel is within blocks of a few small restaurants and only a short taxi ride from the bus station. The following night, when we returned to the other hostel we were disappointed to leave Pocitos.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank kirstenmarie22
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 7, 2010

This is a nice and charming place in a very nice neighborhood in montevideo.
You can get to all other sights by taking the bus
The staff are a bunch of young guys who are very friendly and very nice
The common area is cool to hang out
The negatives, the rooms are tiny and cramped and are noisy :( and it is expensive

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Santiago
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Pocitos Hostel it's located in a great neighbourhood in Montevideo, the staff is very very kind, and the people staying there, in my case, were honest guys having fun just like me and my friends. At night we had some drinks in the backyard of the hostel. I'll come back as soon as I can. Only for young people.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends