Posada al Sur
$56
$76
$72
Travelocity
All reviewshigh ceilingsciudad viejabeautiful buildingold houserooftop terraceold townhostel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Great hostel! Super friendly staff, eps. Sebastien, beautiful well equipped kitchen, spacious rooms, high ceilings... We even got invited to a little Christmas party they were having in the common room, and they gave us mojitos!
We spent our first night in Montevideo in El Viajero, where the rooms were like overcrowded jail cells, so this place definitely exceeded expectations. We got a private room with bathroom, and loved it.
Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nskonig
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Posada al sur is a great little hostel, nice high ceilings, nice bathrooms (hot water!), the common area is great to hangout in with the sun shining through the windows, the kitchen has all the stuff you need, the included breakfast is good, the rooftop would be a great place to hangout when the weather is good. The staff are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank adamteale
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Realemnte q es mucho mas lindo q lo q muestran en la web. Es un lugar impecable, todo limpio, muy lindo decorado ... la gente tiene muy buena onda!! el desayuno es muyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bueno. Lo unico q realmente no nos gustó es la zona de noche, es bastante peligrosa y daba miedo andar caminando por alli

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank flopiseve
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I write this review partly out of the good experience I had, and partly in response to what I feel is an unfair review by the first reviewer (which I had read and used as a basis of forming a pre-stay opinion).

I spent three nights in Montevideo, the first night at Ciudad Vieja hostel, and then, because I wasn't able to get continous availability there nor elsewhere, I took a chance after reading the Lonely Planet review (and checking Tripadvisor) and booked two nights at Posada al Sur.

Posada al Sur is a fantastic value option for travelers who want to be in the heart of the old town. It is located inside an 18th century house, of which the first floor has been lovingly restored to serve as the hotel/hostel. After reading the first review, I was expecting a rather cold (literal and physical) experience, but instead received a warm welcome from the proprietor, who took great pains to make me feel at home, and spent a lot of time talking to me. I didn't try talking to her in English, but to defend her, I think it is unfair for the first reviewer to criticize her language skills. If it helps, the proprietor's Spanish is excellent, and easy for a foreign student to understand :)

The room itself was well prepared for the winter months -- the heater had been switched on, and the bed (I think it's the same one that was referred to as a futon) was comfortable. The star performer was the blanket, which did a fantastic job of keeping me cozy in the night. The private bathroom was spotless, and I had all the steaming hot water that I could have wanted.

The breakfast was simple, but unlimited and hearty. I got everything that was promised on their website: coffee, juice, yogurt, tea, bread, different kinds of jams, mate and dulce de leche. The juice and jams were delicious, and were sourced from local farmers. Sadly, I didn't get the opportunity to taste the dulce de leche (trying to lose a few Ks!).

Wifi coverage throughout the building is excellent, and even if you don't have a machine, they have two computers available to guests in the beautiful common room that has a balcony overlooking Peatonal Peréz Castellano.

Addressing the issue of safety, the proprietor clearly marked out areas that were no-go, and areas that were safer to use at night. In my opinion, any hostel in Ciudad Vieja is as unsafe as the other. If anything, Posada al Sur is located just a few buildings away from the Ciudad Vieja police sectional headquarters on Av. 25 de Mayo! That doesn't mean you are guaranteed safety, but I don't think it's as big an issue as people make it out to be.

What sets this hostel apart from the others, is the terrace, with a sweeping view of the rooftops of Ciudad Vieja. For a minute, you could be in Zanzibar or Lamu Island! Absolutely stunning scenery, and arguably one of the nicest places in the city to watch sunset.

What would I improve: The creaky wooden floors let a bit more noise in and it would be nice to see a little more soundproofing between doors and the room. But i guess that's part of the hostel's charm?

On the whole, a delightful stay, and I'm looking forward to returning here in a few weeks when I pass by MVD again.

PS. I'm American and felt in no way mistreated or ignored by the owners!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner private room!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank thewanderingv
Reviewed January 21, 2011

This hotel is great. The rooms are large, comfortable beds, breakfast ok, kitchen available to prepare small meals.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
There are computers available with high-speed Internet, free.
On the corner, there is a very good restaurant with very cheap prices.
The location is very central, perhaps a little dangerous to walk at night. We had no problem, but it is prudent to be careful.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple