“Very nice. VERY nice. But . . .”
Review of Una Noche Mas

Una Noche Mas
Ranked #3 of 34 Montevideo B&B and Inns
Highlands Ranch
“Very nice. VERY nice. But . . .”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed here from 21-27 February 2012. I had the upstairs rotunda room.

About me: I'm in my mid-50s. From the US. I do not look for luxury in any way while traveling. I like inexpensive, clean, safe. I really don't care if my bed is in a small space. In general, I am merely looking for a place where I can sleep comfortably and in peace.

Note that I arrived on the last day of Carnivale and in the middle of the week when there is a music festival/contest at an open-air amphitheater just a block and a half away. (I didn't find that out until many days later.)

The music that first night didn't stop until 1:30 or 2:00 am. It was gorgeous. Melodic. Vocal. Almost like high energy a capella church music or something. Very pleasant to listen to. But I started wondering if I was ever going to be able to go to sleep. Once I knew what to expect (i.e., it wasn't coming from some boorish neighbor), it never bothered me again.

Best things about Una Noche Mas:
* The funky "found" objects hanging all over the place.
* Eduardo's soft music in the common room.
* CLEAN!
* NEAT!
* LOCATION!
* Free WiFi.
* Lots of "common area." --I spent a couple or three days IN THE HOUSE working. And having that space was a life saver. I couldn't have stayed in my room. It was way too small for that kind of thing. And the room didn't have space, even, for a chair, much less a real desk.
* Overall VERY nice cost/value ratio.

Nice things:
* The cleaning woman will do laundry. US$10 per load in the washing machine. She returns your things to you folded.
* Eduardo (who lives there) and his girlfriend (who comes one or two nights/days a week) are very friendly and helpful. Eduardo graciously offered to take me down to the shopping mall [15 blocks away] my first evening in order to buy some food. . . .

Not-so-great aspects:
* Eduardo's girlfriend's collection of phallic representations from around the world out on display. I was astonished that anyone would make such a public display. (They are a bit off to the side, in the hallway room between the guest rooms and the front/breakfast/common area, so they don't absolutely jump out and smack you in the face. But if you are halfway observant--and having been made curious by all the other fascinating knick-knacks in the house, you ARE rather encouraged to LOOK for "something else" that may be interesting . . . well, they ARE rather startling! . . . And, as LMMS said, if you have little kids, you may not want them seeing the collection.)
* You really do need to come prepared to pay. Up front. With CASH. (I had forgotten, and had to scramble to complete my payment for six days. Happily, Eduardo was gracious and let me finish paying sometime after I first arrived.)
* I don't particularly watch TV. But I tried the TV in my room. The signal/connection was so bad, it wasn't worth watching. If you're into TV, you will likely be disappointed.

Worst aspects:
* No place to put any of my clothes. At least not in the room where I stayed. (Maybe other rooms are larger. I don't know.) I had to keep my clothes in my suitcase.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank brightflash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Netanya, Israel
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had a very good stay.
We stayed for 2 days and wanted to extend our stay even more.
Eduardo is very hospitable and is an interesting person to talk to over breakfast.
The place is neat and clean.
Good music is always playing in the radio on low volume, which creates a great atmosphere.
The breakfast is good and includes: coffee/tea, jams, toast, yogurt and granola.
Free Wifi, which is great.
The rooms are a bit small.
The dildos on some shelf are a bit queer (a weird contrast considering all the religious icons on the walls).
The two bathrooms and toilets are shared (between two rooms, I think) which is a bit less convenient if you're used to private bathrooms.
Overall - I would recommend the place, and I think that the high rating is appropriate.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
East Yorkshire
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I am perplexed by the variety of reviews for this B and B.
In my honest opinion it has some very good points and some shortfalls.
Good points - It is very clean and the people who run it could not be more pleasant and helpful.
It is well located near the beach and halfway between the old and the parts of the city.
The breakfasts are very good.
Free WIFI - excellent!
Shortfalls - our room was so small the the bed had to be pushed up against the wall, and we couldn't open our cases on the floor so we were forced to unpack everything.
We had to pay as soon as we arrived, in cash, before we saw the room.
We received several unnecessary emails before we arrived confirming times of arrival etc.
The cluttered decor is not to everyone's taste especially the "decorative" items displayed on the sideboard, which were not really appropriate if children were to stay, in my opinion.
This B and B is probably most suited to young people who don't mind foregoing comfort for atmosphere and quirkiness.

Room Tip: check in advance what kind of room is available. Insist on seeing the room before you pay.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LMMS
Malmö
Reviewed March 4, 2012

THE GOOD;
Great breakfast - Almost scandinavian class (except the white toasts).
Nice calm area.
Nice rooftop terrace.
Top class cleanness.
Cool house with an artistic touch.

THE BAD;
We got a terrible small room; The "Bennys room". The pictures on the official website are lies! Look at my pictures instead. That's the way it looks and should not be rented as a double room!
Terrible view; just a wall!
Why don't you have pictures of that on your website?
The lock on the door was broken aswell.

I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM "BENNYS ROOM"! Book the rooftop terrace that's on all the pictures.

The other problem I had with the owner Eduardo was the e-mail terror. After the reservation on Hostelbookers 6 months before arrival, he emailed me at least three times with the headline; "URGENT". I had to reconfirm the reservation otherwise it would be cancelled. Beside those mails. I had to reconfirm the time of arrival twice, otherwise "no one would be there to let us in". What was the problem? he hanged there the whole afternoon surfing the internet when we were there. DUDE you need to relax if you want to work with this business!!!

Another thing; it was written in the mails that pick up from airport would cost 35 USD and from the Tres Cruces Bus terminal 25 USD. And if he waited more than 30 mins due to delays he would charge additional 10 USD. Great service! We paid a taxi from Tres Cruses 80 Uruguay Pesos = 4 USD!!!!!!!

Very Disapointed! But the cleanness, the area and the breakfast keeps the rating on average.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank varoojan13
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2012

My wife and I only spent 2 nights in Montevideo but we're confident that our experience here was made so much better by staying with Eduardo at Una Noche Mas. We could never have gotten this experience at a hotel. We chose to have Eduardo pick us up at the Port which I would recommend. We had the room upstairs which was close to the terrace and bathroom and had air conditioning and a good view. There was free WiFi throughout the house which was very much appreciated. Eduardo provided his assistance with our currency exchange, locating the shopping, restaurants in the area and touring around Montevideo. He even, on short notice helped arrange a full day tour for us to Punta del Este! Overall, Eduardo is the most genuine of hosts with a good sense of humor who will do his very best to make your stay in the Montevideo a positive one. We definitely would recommend the Una Noche Mas!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed January 18, 2012

After a fair bit of travelling, we (me and my wife) have been fed up with the stereotypical (and impersonal) feeling of hotelrooms. At "Una noche mas", we (now with a 10 year old daughter) found just what we are looking for - a place to stay that feels like you are visiting friends. In this case, friends with wit, generosity and taste in art. A lovely base for exploring Montevideo.

Room Tip: All rooms have AC. Ground floor rooms have small windows (good for sleeping). Top floor room have lo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Hi People! I m from Argentina, Buenos Aires. It was my first time staying at Montevideo-and at this place., the most perfect place to be. Una noche más is placed at Punta Carretas, the quiest and most lovely area in Montevideo. It s an old house, with nice and clean bedrooms. There s also a big and sunny terrace to rest and have a peacefull moment with a friend or your boyfriend. Good and healthy breakfast, and that s the perfect moment to join some new friends-from all over the world. Eduardo s tips to see Montevideo are the best. I stayed for 3 nights and it s for sure that you will need Una noche más!!!!!!

Room Tip: I loved the bedroom that is upstairs, just closed to the terrace.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple