“Nice surprise”

Neighborhood: Centro
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had a Vegetable Tarta that turned out to have ham in it. But it was yum, although came our a bit cold but they HEATED it up ten fold to make up for it. Was very cheap. My partner had a simple pizza that was good too.

Visited April 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious chivito, great atmosphere, question integrity of server”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

The chivito that I ordered was exceptional. Food was fresh and delicious. French fries were undercooked. Great ambience and use of space. Bright indoors. Only concern is server handing me a bill andd then saying add 35 pesos for service. I don't recall this demand, not a request, being made in any other Uruguyan restaurant. I will not go back to Bar Hispano given questions around integrity.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank restrapo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“A good choice”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This restaurant may appear a little old fashioned (maybe needs a renovation) but what it is important, the food, is very good. We ate different kinds of the traditional uruguayan dish, the "chivito", and they all were very tasty, generous portions and at very good price. Recommendable, especially if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

• Visited March 2013
Melbourne
“Great food in old school style restaurant”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We ate twice here during our stay in Montevideo. It doesn't look overly noteworthy form the outside but it was close to our hotel (Hotel Iberia) and it was cold, dark and raining. We were pleasantly surprised when we went in though. It was warm and the staff were very welcoming in a genuine sort of way (I.e not a 'you look like a tourist you must have a big fat wallet' sort of way). The decor is old school, like something out of the 60s or 70s but that added to the appeal and it was clean, casual and inviting.

The waitress was very friendly and accommodating of our pidgin Spanish as was the waiter on the second night we went there. On he first night I had the pollo del champignon and my girlfriend had the fish and chips. She had the vegetable and mince lasagne on he second night. All meals were served promptly, extremely tasty and large portions. There were also inexpensive by Montevideo standards. Nothing fancy, just a nice simple, homely meal experience served with genuine hospitality.

Would I eat here again -absolutely! Overall value for money score 8/10

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dazbro
Miami, Florida
“Need a Renovation”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

But nice staff , I have ordered a "Vermouth con Guarnicion" and it was excellent and a great variety , I recommend this place.

Visited May 2013