“Food so bad that we couldn't eat it”
Review of El Fogon

El Fogon
Ranked #31 of 1,055 Restaurants in Montevideo
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mediterranean, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I ate here with friends in February 2013. We ordered the house special mixed grill and the house special salad, which the waiter told us was "beautiful". The mixed grill consisted of tough steak, salty sausages and a variety of inedible rubbish (glands, intestines etc). Fair enough, it was a traditional Uruguayan dish so I can forgive the strange meats, but not the poor quality of the supposedly good cuts. The house special salad was some soggy grated carrot with tomatoes. They charged £7 for this.

Awful place, avoid.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,792)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

As usual arrived too early to check in so the hotel recommended El Fogon as we said we would like try some Uruguayan "Meat". The restaurant was quick to sit us down and had the feel of a lunchtime haunt for businessmen. There were a lot of waiters but few customers. The waiter did not speak English but it is my problem that I do not speak Spainish. We finally ordered the 320 peso set lunch. The meat was tender and easy to eat unfortunately my friend and I ordered chips maybe we should have had a salad and a chips.

The service is reasonable and the food came on time. It is hard to make a mistake with beef rib. We had a tiramisu for desert and that was really delicious! I wholeheartedly recommend it. The price is reasonable ( not backpacker prices) As lunch moved on the local business people populated the restaurant.

This place is a local business man's lunch haven. I do not speak Spanish and we survived it could be worth a try if you are in the vicinity. To be honest they do not the patronage of the average traveller as it was a busy lunchtime venue with the locals.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

the food was ok but nothing else. I mean, it was not eough for me to come back.
The waitress also wasnt in their mood as they treat us irrespectfully

1  Thank Luisa D
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Attached to the Sheraton Hotel is a most interesting large shopping mall.
After a long day in COLONIA we decided on a late dinner and went to EL FOGON -suggested by a Brasilian friend..-
It was pleasant -busy and we had good steaks.
service was very polite and it was circa E 25 each.
I would return

1  Thank IRELANDSMAN
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Beef and lots of it! This one of many of the beef/carne places in Montevideo. it is located on the food court level of the Punta Carretas shopping center. Go early and miss the crowds and wait that will happen later in the evening. We have been there twice and have enjoyed it both times. The only ting on a negative side, is that it is in a food court and there is a lot of traffic that passes by.