“Same as the others”

Ranked #42 of 989 Restaurants in Montevideo
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ciudad Vieja
Description: In our grill, a big variety of courts, meats of calf meat, lamb, pork, kidney, sausages and trip are grilled daily. The fishes and seafood arrive directly from the port, so do the vegetables and fresh fruits from the garden. Although -we have to recognize it- our more important ingredient is you.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

In that place it looks that all the restaurants are quite similar. I could not see any difference and as I mentioned in another review, maybe I was expecting more. During all my stay I tried to find a place with some grilled meat to surprise me but never found. Even at one of the most expensive places - at the theater - the meat was not "that meat". Sorry to express myself in this way, maybe is just as I said: I was expecting more.

1  Thank FirstCommander
There are newer reviews for El Palenque

Reviewed January 2, 2014

They have no air condition on the main floor, but outside, if the weather is not too hot, the atmosphere is perfect.It is pricy, but it is also worthwhile to spend more for such a good service.
The meats are what I was looking for.Ask for Jorge, the waiter

Reviewed December 20, 2013

El Palenque delivers the essentials of Uruguay's traditional cuisine. The bbq for Uruguayan's is their national pride, the social family flavor that surrounds it.
The Mercado del Puerto is essentially this restaurant and a number of smaller similar ones conveniently located across the street from the port. You can feel the Uruguayan warmth while tasting excellent beef and other inner parts of the cow like the molleja (cow's saliva gland), chinchulines (intestines), sausages, provolone and much, much more.
All prepared in a massive visible bbq - real bbq using embers to cook the beef and all!
El Palenque has a formal table seating but the best way to enjoy it is sitting at the counter not far from the actual bbq.
It is quite pricy because of it being a tourist attraction, both the restaurant and the whole area, but I do recommend it in terms of authentic Uruguayan food.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had lunch here twice on Saturday and both times we had a very good time! Of course, it helped that we were here with old time Uruguayan friends, who were greeted by the waiters very cordially.
We started with a bottle of medio medio (half still, half sparkling white wine) and cold beers. The medio medio tasted for me like a very good cava: recommended! For starters we had a variety of fish and sausage the first time, the second time we had the grilled cheese, meat, sausage and thymus (excellent!).
For mains we all tried different things: black merluza, steak (lomo), pork and sword fish. Everything was delicious, and the steak was just excellent!
Desserts were OK, actually the strawberries with cream were the best.
Service was impeccable and we enjoyed the lively atmosphere on the terrace very much.

There was a very good reason for us to eat here twice and we'll definitely come back when in Montevideo!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

It had been four years since I last visited el Palenque at the Mercado del Puerto in Montevideo. The surrounding area looked somewhat more degraded that at my last visit (less outdoor restaurants and visitors). It caught my attention that the number of locals visiting the restaurant was low, almost everyone were (Brazilian?) tourists. That said, the meat is still excellent, however, classic offal offerings such as grilled kidneys has been taken of the menu. It is still a good place to visit for lunch in Montevideo when you crave meat.