“TERRIBLE TIME”

San Agustin Urubamba Hotel
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in October of 2012 and had money stolen by a hotel employee. The hotel did not have in-room safes. I had a considerable amount of money, which I didn't want to leave in the room or carry around because the hotel is not in a great area. Pursuant to hotel policy, I had to take my valuables to the front desk for "safe keeping". The receptionist handed me a brown envelope and watched me place my money in the envelope. The receptionist stapled the envelope once and placed tape on the envelope to seal it. When I retrieved the envelope the next day, some of my money ($140) was missing. Apparently, the thief did not take all of the money because he or she knew that I would immediately notice the loss as soon as I opened the envelope, and I might call the police. I went to my Tour Director, who took me to the hotel manager. I pointed out that there were additional staples and additional tape on the envelope. In other words, someone had opened the envelope, taken some of the money, and resealed the envelope. The tape was probably slit open with a razor knife. I do not speak spanish, but I could tell the hotel manager was not going to help me. She spoke in spanish to the Tour Director, raised her voice and pointed at me. I assume she was claiming that I was not telling the truth. I am a retired Assistant Prosecutor, and there is no reason for me to make this story up. My Tour Director asked me if I wanted to go to the police station, but our tour was going to the next location, and I couldn't prove which employee stole the money, so I decided to forget about it. My group also had dinner in the hotel resturant. The woman next to me ordered fish, had one bite, and sent it back. I had spaghetti with tomato sauce that tasted like ketchup. No one had a really good meal.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ralph S

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Okay, Urubamba is not a very scenic town nor is the outside of this hotel. However the inside is a different story. The pool area and courtyard are pretty, rooms are spacious and modern (the bathroom was great), new TV's, good breakfast. Nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanie881
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel caters to group tour passengers and they do a decent job. Check in was quick and easy. Most of the guests were getting up at 4:00am to catch the train to Machu Picchu the next morning and they had hot coffee and breakfast available at that time. The grounds are well landscaped. During the day they have a local woman selling wares near the pool. The room itself was a little dreary with fluorescent bulb in the ceiling. Twin beds and a shower with minimal hot water was also a little disappointing. As mentioned before, the walls are very thin and we had to turn off the outside patio light to get a good nights rest. Overall our stay was adequate.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happytrails2uall
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised at just how good this hotel was given other comments. Very clean and spacious room with a huge clean bathroom. I would recommend this to everyone. The gardens are serene and beautiful which beats the hustle and bustle of Cusco!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Monzie67
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on a Gate 1 Tour. It is a quaint and lovely place in Urubamba. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The grounds and gardens are very pretty. The only complaint I have is that you can hear barking dogs and street noise. The staff and service was friendly and the breakfast was quite good. If you stay here, request a room in the back that may be less noisy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kingscommon
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel with a fireplace in the lobby, bar, entertainment, restaurant, fountain in the courtyard & pool. Good staff, food & service. Hotel held your keys & passports or any other important things that you wanted kept safe. Close to restaurants that you can walk to.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank rafraven10
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was a fabulous hotel with plenty of rooms in quiet locations. There was a nice pool and the grounds were beautiful with lots of quiet places to relax and enjoy the gardens. We stayed here with Gate 1 and several other people on the tour ate at the restaurant and were not happy with their food but we had breakfasts here and the quality and quantity of food was great with great views of the gardens from the numerous floor to ceiling windows. The rooms were a fair size with 2 single beds and fairly large clean bathrooms.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 132 which was in a very quiet location.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple