“Beautiful, Relaxing Place”

San Agustin Urubamba Hotel
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The grounds are so beautifully landscaped and tranquil. I liked sitting on my balcony, listening to the birds, chilling out with a glass of wine. My room was big and well appointed. The staff were friendly and professional.

The food was excellent: big breakfast buffet and dinner.

A beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank luke47

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Another thumbs up to gate 1 for selecting this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable and the gardens inside the confines of the hotel were breathtaking. We felt very comfortable there. The walk to town took about 10 - 15 minutes. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. If you have time, get a massage. It was amazing! My back muscles get tight carrying suitcases and this massage relaxed them completely.

Room Tip: We were in the inner courtyard. It is noisy if people are walking and talking outside the room but o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary Anne P
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here on part of our tour. The hotel was nice. No heat in the rooms but they had small space heaters that worked well. Our room had 2 twin beds and a private bath. Housekeeping never showed up the on the second day so we had to get fresh towels from the desk. It really was no big deal. The grounds are very pretty, we were quite happy with this hotel The restaurant was great too.
There was a lot of barking dogs in the area, but we were so tired from our trip from the US that we slept through it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The San Augustin Hotel is a good base for exploring the Sacred Valley. The city of Urubamba is a poor village that was partly destroyed in a flood a couple of years ago. The hotel rooms are large, very clean, and where we were in the back, very quiet at night. The restaurant for breakfast and lunch was ok, but not gourmet. We sampled the freshly brewed corn beer across the street. You could't give it away at a fraternity party! The famous pottery maker, Pablo Seminario has a workshop in town. He evolved from a homeless person selling trinkets in the market at Cuzco to a world famous artist during the course of his career. There are examples of his work at the Field Museum in Chicago. There is, of course, a gift shop at his studio.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here as part of a tour package, so I don't know the cost. But I found the property and staff very lovely. The main or largest building is built courtyard style with the rooms looking into a pretty inner courtyard, and a small deck looking outside to a splendid view of the mountains.

The rest of the property was beautiful, and the staff very friendly. For example, I was having difficulty using a plug-in convertor to charge my iPhone and Kindle. So I asked the front desk staff to charge both at the front desk using my USB cable and their PCs. They were very accommodating to do this for me.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Transitioning to high altitude can be a problem for some people, and it’s good to do it gradually. Urubamba and Ollantaytambo are the two lowest-altitude cities in the Sacred Valley, but Urubamba is more centrally located. Therefore, Urubamba is an excellent choice for your first night in the Sacred Valley. Even though you fly into Cusco, I would not recommend staying there your first night because Cusco is at 11,000 feet. Urubamba is quite a bit lower.

The drive from Cusco airport takes about an hour. We had a private van included in our tour from Peru For Less, but I heard that taxi rides were not very expensive anyway. There is also a bus that leaves frequently from the Cusco bus terminal. Or you can take a train from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, and then a 20 minute taxi ride from there to Urubamba. I believe a taxi or private van from Cusco is the most practical way to get to Urubamba.

I picked the San Augustin hotel because of price and location. Prior to our trip, I went to some trouble to try and figure out exactly where the hotel was. Google maps shows the hotel right at the Southeast corner of town. The hotel isn’t actually there. It’s farther East down the main highway, and it takes about 20 minutes to walk to town. This was a disappointment to me when we arrived, but it turned out to not be a big deal at all. We walked to town, and took a rickshaw taxi back for 2 soles.

The rooms were very nice. My wife and I had a very comfortable king bed, and they brought in a twin bed for our son. I had originally booked a “triple room”, but that’s not right. A triple room has 3 twin beds. Fortunately, explained what we wanted when we arrived and we were able to switch rooms. The bathroom was also very big, modern, and super clean. No complaints about the room at all.

The hotel had a nice lobby, and the courtyard has lovely gardens and a pool. We did see large tourist groups arriving by the bus-load, which messed with the atmosphere a little, but I’m sure that’s true just about everywhere in the Sacred Valley.

There is a restaurant in the hotel, and the food was very good. They will deliver the food to your room if you would rather eat there.

There were two computers in the lobby with internet, but it was incredibly slow, and there’s a 10 minute limit.

We booked through Expedia, and that all worked out fine. The room included a buffet breakfast. While we were there, we also got a couple’s massage which was very nice. It cost $90 for both of us.

If you are paying for anything with US Dollars, be sure the bills are very crisp and NOT torn. I had a $100 bill with a tiny 1/8 inch tear, and the hotel wouldn’t take it. I had this problem everywhere, and it took me more than a week to finally get rid of that one bill!

The town is very quaint with narrow streets and little shops. It’s worth going over there if you have a little time to kill. There is a nice main square with benches and a fountain. Later I heard about a ceramics place that we missed seeing. It’s called Ceramicas Seminario, and according to tripadvisor, it is right off the main square. I wish we had done that.

By coincidence, there happened to be a little bull-fight event going on in the stadium at the edge of town. This isn’t something put on for tourists. It was a real local’s event that we stumbled onto by chance. The bulls fight each other (no Matador), and the bulls weren’t harmed. It was fun to watch. I don’t know how often they do it. If you see a lot of people and bulls all heading in the same direction down the street, follow them!

We noticed that the Tambo Del Inka hotel was closer to town, but we heard it’s more expensive. Since the rickshaw taxi from San Augustin is only 2 soles, I’m not sure it makes sense to pay more to be closer to town.

By the way, if altitude is a really big concern, then I recommend flying to Cusco and immediately taking the train all the way to Aguas Calientes, which only 6,700 feet. That’s 2,700 feet lower than Urubamba. Aguas Calientes is of course the little town where you stay when you visit Machu Picchu. So, with this strategy you would visit Machu Picchu first, and then come back up to do the Sacred Valley sights. People think of Machu Picchu as being really high in the mountains, but it’s much, much lower than Urubamba and the other places you’ll visit in the Sacred Valley. We didn’t really have a big problem with the altitude, but in hindsight it probably would have been better to go straight to Aguas Calientes and do Machu Picchu, then in a day or two come back up to the Sacred Valley for Pisac, Moras, etc.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Jim_and_Barbie
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The hotel is located in the rather unprepossessing town of Urubamba in the Sacred Valley, on a stretch of road with nothing but some shacks, shanties, on both sides. Not the kind of environment that makes you want to go outside and explore. Inside, the grounds around the pool are well tended and provide a welcoming oasis to just sit down and relax with a cup of coca tea provided for free by the hotel.

We were given a key to our room and went in only to find that it hadn't been cleaned. It was then cleaned swiftly and apologetically but I get the impression the property is not well managed. The room was OK in size and had all the basics including an electric plug-in heater (it was winter in Peru with night temps around 30 F) which came in very handy. Unfortunately no heat in bathroom which felt chilly. WiFi worked fine and no password was needed. There is also a pool and a jacuzzi/sauna (extra charge) which we didn't try.

The buildings are arranged around a courtyard, Spanish-style which unfortunately amplifies the noises from the comings and goings and door slams. Bring ear plugs. There was also a late night disco at the hotel which attracted few patrons but added measurably to the noise pollution.

The included buffet breakfast was a sad affair, with some stale bread and instant coffee (yuck!) included. We did not feel like going outside for dinner and ate at the hotel, expecting the worst, but were very pleasantly surprised. Their chef really can cook, when s/he wants to!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family