“Loved Las Chullpas”

Ranked #10 of 46 Urubamba B&B and Inns
Cusco, Peru
“Loved Las Chullpas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

I found Las Chullpas in HostelBookers.com and stayed for many days. It is a perfect and tranquil place to stay while exploring the Sacred Valley.

It is situated in a small forest on the outskirts of Urubamba but is far enough away to feel you are right out in the country and moutains, although the town is only minutes away by taxi. Taxis were easily arranged by the owner and are inexpensive in Peru.
The room was beautiful and they all have chimneys and fireplaces so that you can make a real fire in the evenings.

I had alot of good advice and assistance in planning various trips from the owner Gonzalo Muñoz who I found very helpful and friendly. I also enjoyed the trek organised by Las Chullpas through the mountains on horseback and was even cured of a very bad stomach by a herbalist called Leonie who lives there which I had had for some time and could not cure with various medicines from the pharmacy.

The vegetarian food was excellent and all in all I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anybody. It is the perfect place to relax in beautiful surroundings after treking around the valley.

• Liked — The Location and freindly service.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

This was not a positive experience for us, and I recommend caution if you intend to stay here. In a nutshell, here was our experience.

We booked via e-mail and all went fine. We also asked the owner to arrange for a taxi to pick us up at the Ollantaytambo station because we were on the backpacker train that arrived late at night.

Our plan was to drop our bags off at las Chullpas and leave them while we overnighted in Aguas Calientes. Our taxi driver couldn’t find the hotel even though he was an experienced driver who has worked for many agencies in the area and also lives in Urubamba. After several stops to ask locals for directions, we finally found the place. It seems further from town than the 3K the website states and is on a slow, bumpy, potholed road. As we kept driving we became somewhat apprehensive about the remoteness of the location but thought it would be interesting to walk in the surrounding area of houses along the road (we enjoy more off-the-beaten-path experiences). However, when we finally arrived we found the grounds to be delightful. We were shown several rooms to choose from and left our bags for our return late the next night.

This is where our problem with Las Chullpas began. We were able to change our train reservations to an earlier train and tried to call telling them that we would be in earlier and to please cancel the driver for the late night pick-up. Because we were going to be at Machu Picchu all day, we paid our hotel in Aguas Calientas to call for us. The clerks at the Aguas Calientas hotel tried all day, including to a mobile number that was on the business cards I’d picked up when we dropped our bags at las Chullpas. The mobile number belonged to someone in Lima who had nothing to do with las Chullpas. We (or our agents) tried calling for nearly 12 hours and never once got someone to answer the phone. Finally, about 17:00, the clerks at the hotel in Aguas Calientas left a message on las Chullpas’ answering machine telling them of our change in plans. These AC hotel clerks kept telling me this must be a bad hotel if they wouldn’t answer the phone.

We took the earlier train and had our taxi driver take us to las Chullpas. We assumed that las Chullpas must have checked the messages on their machine and knew of our change in plans. Wrong! It was dark, the owner’s dogs were barking and coming to the car, and no one seemed to be around. The taxi driver kept telling us this must be a bad hotel if they wouldn’t answer the phone and there was no one around (it was about 21:00 by this time).

By this time, we were so fed up my husband went to the room we were assigned (it was open) and retrieved our suitcases. We told the taxi driver to take us somewhere (anywhere) else. At this point the owner finally came out. I explained that we had been trying to reach him all day and were fed up and very uncomfortable with staying in a place where guests couldn’t even reach the owners. We did not want to be in a remote place where we were dependent on an unresponsive owner to arrange transportation for us. How would we have ever contacted them if we had problems and they didn’t bother to answer the phone? He yelled at me and told me we were horrible people to leave just because he didn’t answer the phone—he said he checks his messages once a day. I repeated all the reasons why we were leaving. He yelled some more. We left and found a hotel in Ollyantaytambo and spent our time there. I’d definitely recommend Ollantaytambo over this location!

Bottom line: this is a very remote place with lovely grounds, but I wouldn’t stay here unless I had my own transportation.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank juliest
Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

I was with me wife and kids two days at Las Chullpas. The first day before go to MP and the second day after MP.
The hotel is in the forest at the foot of the mountains, 1.5 km from the road to Ollantaytambo, on the outskirts of Urubamba, about 10 minutes to Ollantaytambo.
Here, at the middle of nature, you can feel a wonderful tranquility, the only sounds you will hear here are of the nearby creek and the birds. It is the ideal place to recover from fatigue due to the tours through the SV.
Las Chullpas has a small restaurant where they made healthy vegetarian food.
The rooms are very charming huts made of materials of the area and all have their chimney.
The service is excellent, Chalo, the owner, supports you in everything you need to make your stay more enjoyable as well as also advises you to make your tours more enjoyable

• Liked — The tranquility of the place integrated to nature
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JANPeru
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2007

We arrived in Cusco and went straight to Las Chullpas in Urubamba in the Sacred Valley to allow our bodies to acclimatize. Unfortunatly on the way there I got very sick and arrived there in a state. Luckily for me this Eco Lodge has a wonderful Lady called Leonie who is a midwife and a herbal doctor in Urubamba. She was wonderful, check me out gave me some herbal medicine and i was better in the morning!

We stayed in our own little hut which was amazinggg!!! Made our own fire, has an amazinggggg bathroom!! And the gardens!! Gosh this place had everything! If I ever go back again i will stay here for sure!!

They also have amazingggg food!

Thanks everyone in Las Chullpas!!!

• Liked — The rooms and bathroom!
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)