“Great Place, Terrible Service especially by the front desk”

Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Urubamba
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband, his brother and wife we all went to Peru for 8 days, we start our vacation in Cusco and then we were going in our adventure for 5days to hike Machupichu, and we supose to stay at Tambo our last two days. Unfortunately my husband got really sick the second day we were in Cusco, and I am not talking about altitude sicknes we was rush to the ER with a intestinal infection and statyed at the hospital for the next two days, I call the agency to see if we could pospone our begining to our hike for Machupichu, they were great and did everything they could to acomodate the new starting day! My husband was release from the hospital with a lot of medicine but feeling much better and we start our hike, the day we were leaving for our hike I remember I never call Tambo to cancel the two days, because what happend we were going to be there only one night, I ask the agency to call for me and explain the situation, but oh surprise when we got to Tambo they told us the we needed to pay for the two nights the we didn't stay because we didn't cancel on time, I try to explain the our traveling agency call them and they keep saying not the did not, but when I call the agency the said they did call and were told because our reservation was trought the internet they could cancel. We had travel around the globe and never had this problem before, so I recomend if you are going to stay at this hotel please be sure about the days you are staying and also pray for nothing to happend while you are there. The front desk Manager was really rude and never try to add anything additional for us to feel betterr about the situation. We are starwoods members and they have take care of us and they were also not happy about this!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka!

Really sorry to hear about your husband´s sickness. Hope he is back to his feet by now.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I have double checked at the Reception and have had a meeting with all our personnel in order to be able to solve different situations in different ways.

Please contact our GRM Isaac Pilares (ipilares@libertador.com.pe) in order to make the respective folow up to your case.

Once again, thank you for your understanidng and please do not hesitate to contact me if any further assistance is required.

At your disposal,

Reviewed September 24, 2012

In a month of travelling around South America, this was by far the best hotel we stayed in. Luxurious rooms, great food and wonderful surroundings in the Sacred Valley en route to Machu Pichu. Would have loved to have had a couple of nights there to enjoy the hotel facilities!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gerdav4074
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Good afternoon,

Thank you for choosing Tambo del Inka as your destination while in the Sacred Valley!

Thank you indeed for comparing us with other hotels in South America and giving us your sincere words and comments.

I am really happy to see that you did have a great experience while in our resort.

Look forward to having the chance to hosting you again in time.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We just got back from a 5-night stay at Tambo del Inka. After reading some postings about altitude sickness, I decided to stay at Urubamba rather than Cusco to prepare ourselves on our trip to Machu Picchu. We stayed our first two days at Urubamba to de-compress before visiting the ruins of Pisac and Ollantaytambo and this hotel provided that "rest" we needed. The hotel's location is excellent. We did not want the hassle of negotiating with taxi driver so we arranged for a pick up from the hotel. I agree that 220 soles is kind of stiff but the peace of mind that someone is out there waiting for you with a cold bottle of water after arriving in an unfamiliar place is priceless. Our excellent experience with Tambo del Inka started with a polite driver who drove us through Plaza de Armas on our way to the sacred valley. Along the way he identified key places which I previously read therefore it was easy for me to recognize them. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by courteous staff. Most of the time we ate at the bar. The chicken and pork crackling were our favorite. I drank pisco sour every time we ate at the bar. Our room was always maintained. The only mishap I committed in planning for this trip was not packing a bathing suit. The pool, jacuzzi and sauna are sure the best places to be after visiting the different ruins and Machu Picchu. The concierge is always eager to help you out. Having a train station to Machu Picchu is a definite plus. Overall we had an excellent experience with Tambo del Inka, the sacred valley, Machu Picchu and the people in this region.

2  Thank avid_traveler314
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Good morning,

Thank you for your wonderful words and comments on our staff, food, bar, and our several outlets.

As you mention, our personnel is well service oriented and works on exceeding all and each of our guests expectations. I will give your compliments to our dirvers and all our personnel.

Thank you again for your letting us be part of this specatcular experience in Tambo del Inka.

Look forward to hosting you again in time.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We Were very pleased For having chosen to stay at this luxury hotel. However, since we got a reasonable deal through Expedia, we were also concious of our spending outside of the hotel too. My husband and I are vegetarians, and after our 2nd dinner at the Hawa restaurant we wanted to find more options. When we mentioned this to our waiter, he spoke to the head chef who prepared dishes which were not on the menu. This was great. So don't hesitate to let them know of any dietary restrictions.
Since we like to experience eating at various restaurants we had asked the Concierge (Veronica or Monica) to recommend local restaurants. We really enjoyed going to El Huacatay, but found Tres Carros to be a hole - dirty, poor lighting, and an extremely creaky floor (felt like we were going to fall through the second floor!)

Room Tip: My husband booked our hotel stay on Expedia. We paid close to $300USD per night. I had a spa treat...
1  Thank Love2travel2294

Good morning,

Thank you for choosing Tambo del Inka as your turistic destination while in the Sacred Valley!

Really satisfied to realize that your experience in our resort was excellent.

Thank you for your comments on our resort and staff. Sure you did enjoy our Cheff¨s culinary art but also worried about your comment on 3 Keros. Thank you for letting us know about it. We will work on it.

Really hope to have the chance to host you again in time.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a wonderful oasis on your way to Machu Picchu and probably the best hotel in Peru. The staff is excellent and friendly. The hotel is what you'd expect from the Starwood Luxury collection. The rooms are large, with a separate walk in closet, large bath with stand up shower and separate toilet, dual vanities. The bed is wonderful and the service is excellent, making up our room at any time we requested. The bar was great and the food was excellent. Try the pisco sours (they have many variations) and the little potato balls with cheese were amazing. The breakfast buffet is one of the best, with a full menu of hot items included in the price (60 soles, which is roughly $25 US). The pool looked nice and the hotel is set back in a secluded and private gated area by the Urubamba river. Very serene!
I guess that many wealthy peruvians and other south american's visit this hotel for the weekend.
I would absolutely recommend staying in Urubamba rather than the large city of Cusco...and eat at the restaurant named "3 Keros" which is steps away from the hotel. Amazing!
The train station to Machu Picchu is walking distance from the hotel as well....so perfect set up for this trip!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the river
2  Thank Jmdidday

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka!

Tottaly happy to see that your experience in Tambo del Inka was gorgeous.

Thank you indeed for your comments on our bar, restaurant, food, staff and resort itself. In fact, is one of the characteristics of being Luxury Collection.

Thank, as well, for your good comments on 3 Keros.

As you mention, there are several peruvian and foreign guests who come to our hotel and they leave very satisfied with our outlets and service.

Thank you indeed for choosing Tambo del Inka as a place to stay in the Sacred Valley.

Look forward to hosting you again in time.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2012

There really is little need for me to talk about how amazing this place is, just thought I'd share my personal story. We arrived at Tambo del Inka after spending a week in the rainforest by Iquito, which basically meant that any type of enclosed structure with a normal amount of humidity would have scored major points. That being said from the moment we arrived, even in our dingy trekking gear, this place did nothing but make us fell at home...cocoa tea at check in, the smells of eucalyptus, a roaring fire... We were always gretted by our names and I felt like the concierge and I were friends based on all of our email correspondences before arrival. I can be a bit of a pain in planning trips, but the concierge always responded to me with a prompt joyful response....they knew me before I even arrived. When my wife became ill, posssibly from altitude not sure, they ofered us a specifal tean to calm the stomach. Just a note on the rooms to.... soooooo spacious, clean and modern and the bathroom is killer...YOU MUST STAY HERE.. best part is or a hotel as amazing as this, I would expect to easily pay 2-3 times what they are charging. It is that good... Oh, if I did have 1 complain it would bethat the Tikarryi office never really confirmed my trip to Macchu Picchu that I booked many months in advance. I had to go to them the night before and straighten things out. I think that is because the office was just getting set up when I booked by trip- I didn't do it directly thorught the hotel website.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank noahrosenblatt
pmarconi, General Manager at Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for your preference in Tambo del Inka!

Happy to see that did have a great experience while in our magnificent resort.

In fact, all our personnel is training into exceeding all our guests´ expectations.

We are the first hotel in Peru and he second in South America with LEED certification (Lidership in Energy and Environmental Design).

Thank you for bringing to our attention the Tikariy matter. Sorry about this non confirmation. We have already talked to Tikariy personnel and they are working on this matter in order o avoid causing discomfort again in the future.

Hope to see you again in our resort in time.

Pablo Marconi

Thank you indeed for your kind words and comments on our staff and property.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I've stayed in luxury hotels before, but this was far and away the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in.

Service and food were top notch. I had a massage which was excellent. They pay attention to all the details and it is quality.

The room was amazing, beautiful bed, living space, closet, bathroom and tub. My only complaint is that the shower leaked into the main bathroom area. But everything else was beyond expectations so I wasn't at all upset.

I could have stayed here for a week, but unfortunately it was only one night after the inca trail and then back to reality..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon,

Really happy to know that you did enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you for your words and comments on our personnel, food, and property itself.

Glad to see that your did enjoy our Spa therapies as well and really look forward to hosting you again in time.

Our maintenance personnel is working on the bathroom leaking situation. Thank you for your report.

Pablo Marconi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
#2 of 29 in Urubamba
Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux
Casa Andina Premium Valle Sagrado Hotel & Villas
JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness
Palacio del Inka, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Cusco

Been to Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado

Address: Avenida Ferrocarril S/N | Sacred Valley, Urubamba 84, Peru
Location: Peru > Cusco Region > Sacred Valley > Urubamba
#1 Business Hotel in Urubamba
#1 Family Hotel in Urubamba
#1 Green Hotel in Urubamba
#2 Romantic Hotel in Urubamba
#3 Luxury Hotel in Urubamba
#3 Spa Hotel in Urubamba
Price Range: $246 - $450 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado 5*
Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado is a hotel in Sacred Valley, Peru that invites visitors to experience a warm and welcoming atmosphere, along with adventure tourism experiences nearby including historical and cultural tours of the vestiges of the Incan Empire. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Tambo Del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort And Spa
Tambo Del Inka, a Luxury Collection Hotel Urubamba
Tambo Del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado Peru/Urubamba, Sacred Valley