“Superb Service”
Review of Kuychi Rumi

Kuychi Rumi
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Claudia and Rodrigo are all about providing the best service possible, and will help with many of your trip arrangements. The houses are nice, with wireless internet but no TV's. Beautiful grounds and gardens. Urubamba is a good central location for touring.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Radio9phs

Reviewed February 20, 2009

the cottages are very comfortable and nice. The couple that owns the hotel are great.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nina7285
Reviewed February 5, 2009

KR is totally magical... amazing gardens filled with humming birds and flowers. Go to see the Maras Salt Mines (especially interesting after endless Inca ruins...).

• Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank LittlestHobo123
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I always read the "bad" reviews on tripadvisor first, for some reason. Then I go to the good reviews & try to decipher if these few people who gave bad reviews just were having a bad day or are bad people or something. And it's all very interesting & puzzling sometimes.

Fortunately the good reviews here prompted me to book a one week stay here for the 4 of us...my partner, my cousin & a friend. We could not have been happier with our stay here. For the price, this was unbeatable. Even if we had been forced to pay a little more, it would have been very worth the experience.

Urubamba itself, is a crude, simple town hewn out of the sacred valley between Cusco & Machu Picchu. I wanted to stay in either Urubamba or Ollantaytambo. After catching the train at Ollantaytambo & seeing a little of the town, I feel I made the right choice.

But Urubamba is not necessarily a beautiful town. It has lots of character & the people are lively & very friendly. The central market is incredible & we bought food there to take back to Kuychi Rumi to prepare for several meals & the fresh food was delicious.

Back to Kyuchi Rumi...the separate cottages were evidently designed & built by Rodrigo's father who is a prominent architect in Peru. Rustic & beautifully detailed, they are large & comfortable. With the Andes mountains behind the property, we felt like we were on a grand retreat somewhere. And we were. The property is very quiet & tranquil.

Every time I looked at people's photos they had taken of this property I was a bit underimpressed & unsure. Now I realize that the true beauty of this place is almost impossible to capture with photography. I'm a photographer myself & had a difficult time capturing a great photo here. There is a tall stand of eucalyptus trees on the property making the lighting difficult. And the trail that goes through the property to the cottages is filled with the most beautiful landscaping...tons of flowers, bushes & small trees. It is so inviting that we never hurried though it so we could savor the smells, colors & activities of the birds & butterflies.

We ordered the "starter kit" for breakfast the first day. I must say, not only did it "start" us for breakfast the first day, but also the second, third, fourth & fifth day. Well worth the small fee for the kit.

I was totally shocked to read how one reviewer was unhappy with their driver. We could not have been happier with our driver. He was one of the most courteous, safest drivers we've ever encountered. In fact, we requested him for the whole trip. His name was a little difficult to remember so I wrote it down..."Chrisologo". A tiny little native guy who is just incredible. He was at the airport in Cusco to pick us up the moment we arrived. (word...some of the clever porters at the airport can read the signs of people's names being held up by the drivers standing outside the baggage claim & they will call out your name & offer to load your luggage onto a cart....when you hear your name...you assume that this is the driver. The clever little guy was just trying to earn some money & we understand. But we travel light & it was not necessary. The actual driver, Chrisologo, was just beyond the baggage claim holding a sign with my name on it!!!....careful...& if you get "duped", don't get mad...just give them a couple of dollars & move on....I was a little pissed, but we paid the guy & thanked him & went on our way) I even asked him if we could make a stop in Pisac since we arrived on a Sunday...the "big market day". He made a cell phone call to Rodrigo & asked if it was okay. It was okay & he changed the plan & took us to Pisac. The market was incredible. We loved it so much that later in the week we asked if he would take us back. And the driver waited for hours while we shopped. Naturally, there is a charge for this service. But divided between 4 people it was nothing. Even 1 or 2 people...worth every penny. I would NOT recommend renting a car & trying to drive in this part of Peru. No...NO...NO! He also took us to all of the surrounding sites...the salt pans, Chinchero, train station to Machu Picchu, etc. He was always on time, courteous & would stop on a dime to let us out to take photos. The only drawback I could forsee is he doesn't speak English. Fortunately I speak Spanish & we had a grand time. Don't you wish you'd paid more attention in high school Spanish class???? :) My advice to the people with the bad driver...ASK FOR ANOTHER DRIVER!

One important piece of advice I can offer...Rodrigo &/or Claudia can also purchase airline tickets for you (at least for flights inside Peru but possibly anywhere inside South America???) even while you are in the USA (or another country I suppose). My cousin & her friend did not have their flights arranged from Lima to Cusco & it was getting close to departure date. They were told by someone that it would be better to wait to purchase the ticket when we arrived in Lima. I felt really uneasy about that & asked Rodrigo if he could help. He said absolutely. The price he found vs. the price a travel agent here in the USA found was staggering. I was going into this blindly but I figured with all the great reviews he & this place received, it would be worth the risk. So he booked their tickets & we sent the checks. Everything went like clockwork & without a hitch. And they saved a great deal of money. My cousin & her friend went back to the USA a week before my partner & I & we flew on to Arequipa. I booked those tickets from the USA & now wish I had let Rodrigo do it. I feel I paid way too much for those tickets at nearly $400/rt. from Cusco to Arequipa. Oh well...live & learn.

Bottom line, this place is fantastic. Friendly, helpful owners/staff. We feel we got way more than our money's worth. Again, if you don't like something, i.e., your driver, ask for another. We had a taxi driver in Bangkok that scared the satan out of us. He ran over a very large dog driving too fast on a crowded street, said "oh...solly", smiled & just kept driving. We never took another taxi in Bangkok.

You'll love this place & I recommend making this your base for the valley...NOT Cusco. My partner does not do tolerate high altitudes very well & he vomited for 6 hours solid upon arrival at Kyuchi Rumi. Coca tea & all. And Urubamba is a couple thousand feet BELOW Cusco. Something to remember. You feel the altitude as soon as you step off the plane in Cusco. After a week in Urubamba, we returned to Cusco for 3 days & we were fine as we had acclimated nicely.

We wish Kyuchi Rumi much success.

Mark in Lakewood, California

• Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank jupiterwray
Reviewed January 15, 2009

The overall experience was much better than anyone could expect or hope for. The only problem we encountered was with some ill equipped and dangerous drivers hired by the hotel. The cottages are beautifully laid out and furnished with down comforters in each room and a large fire place in the living area. Each cottage has a kitchen, and back patio area. The flower garden is breathtaking. If not for the altitude I would have changed the location of my wedding to this site. Rodrigo is THE MAN. My fiance got really sick and needed to go to the hospital. Rodrigo came with us and translated and even ran back to the hotel to get my book so I would have something to do while waiting in the hospital. The property has 4 dogs that are all very friendly, just be careful not to leave anything valuable around Chocolate...the lab. He likes to steal, but it's pretty cute. I had fun playing fetch with him and he followed me all over the property. The only bad experience was that we were informed at literally the last minute we could not bring our luggage on the train and went very ill equipped to Machu Pichu, then when we were leaving to go back to Cusco we were put in a taxi with a driver who did not understand how to de-fog his windsheild. He was driving with one hand and wiping with this other sleeve. We made him turn around and take us back to the hotel. Two cars later we finally got one equipped for the journey in the rain at night on a windy mountain road. Claudia got a little crabby about it, but we weren't going to sacrifice our safety. Insist on a driver who knows what they are doing.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Junglejenny
Reviewed January 11, 2009

What a wonderful place and wonderful staff. Our visit to the Sacred Valley is the best trip we have ever taken, in large part due to Rodrigo and the staff at the K'uychi Rumi. For months before we arrived, Rodrigo was in continuous e-mail contact with us, providing suggestions about where to go, how to go and when to go. Rodrigo arranged two drivers / guides for us, David and Crisologo, who are the best! This allowed us flexibility yet safety, and we visited so many fantastic places; but never in a rush.

As for the K'uychi Rumi- it is a BEAUTIFUL place! We had read so many great things about this place that we were actually worried that it was over-hyped. Not the case! Believe the fantastic things travelers are saying about K'uychi Rumi because they are all true.

The gardens are expertly landscaped and surround you in beauty as you walk throughout the grounds. There is plenty of hot water, everything is spotless, and every morning the staff delivered fresh bread to our house. (Yes, you feel so comfortable that you begin thinking of the house as yours!). At night the staff will start a fire for you in the artistic fireplaces found in each home.

We cannot say enough positive things about Rodrigo and his staff. We have traveled extensively and have never encountered the quality of staff that is at the K'uychi Rumi.

The only regret, and many other travelers have said it, is that we didn’t spend enough time there. We stayed for five nights and we wished it had been for triple that amount of time.

Needless to say we plan to return to the Sacred Valley in October, 2010 and we will be staying at the K'uychi Rumi.

Jaime and Irma Tamez 11/08

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank El-Viador
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed for three nights and must say we really enjoyed our stay there. The "cottage" we stayed in was well appointed, comfortable and the whole property is just wonderful. Breakfast was excellent and Claudia prepared a special soup for me when I got sick.
One of the problems I would like to mention was with the driver. He drives like mad and we were concerned about our safety. We had to ask him several times to slow down and it was painful to see people running to safety as he honked and did not slow down for them to cross the road.
Another problem with the driver is that He decided where we should have lunch, who would be our guide in the ruins, etc. We and our friends had done our homework before travelling to Peru and my husband and I speak Spanish so we did not need and did not request his help. He got angry when we did not want to stay at the restaurant he took us to have lunch. In Ollantaytambo, as soon as we arrived, he was approached by a guide and agreed on how much he would charges us. I negotiated with the guide and got a more reasonable price.
However, the worst experience happened with Claudia. When we made the hotel reservations we also requested that they purchase the train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Machu Pichu and then from Machu Pichu to Cuzco. As we were checking out, she gave us our tickets, paid for two months in advance, and told us that they could not book the return to Cuzco and that we would have to come back to Ollantaytambo, Her driver would take us by car to Cuzco and we had to pay for this separately. On top of this, and as we were walking to the taxi to go to the train station, she tells us that we can not take our luggage with us because "there is not enough room in the train".
We were only travelling with a carry on each so we took our luggage with us and had no problems in the train.

She offered no reimbursement for the price difference between the train from Machu Pichu to Cuzco that we had paid for and the one to Ollantaytambo that they booked. As we complained. she sent us $40 U.S. with the driver when he picked us up to take us to Cuzco. I do not know if this amount covered the difference for the 4 tickets. Our main complaint is that she should have told us about the changes the first day we arrived at their place and not three days later, and even less when we were about to go the train station.
The whole experience was very disappointing and it was sad to end in this way a visit that till then had been wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
8  Thank chiquita2009
xochitl, General Manager at Kuychi Rumi, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2009

After keeping a perfect record on 125 reviews over 4 years, it is very sad to see a negative review on our hotel. But "the client is always right" so we can
only try to explain what went wrong.

Train tickets to MP, especially during Easter Weekend (in this case) are very difficult to obtain. We were actually very happy that we were able to secure the tickets after such short notice to buy them. This is probably why we were unable to inform the passengers promptly of the change of schedule for the section MP to Olly instead of the requested MP to Cusco (no tickets were actually available for this route on the required date). We normally always suggest getting off at the Olly station and taking a taxi to Cusco which saves a
lot of time and provides more comfort. We indeed
reimbursed the difference in cost for the tickets, which was $10 each.

The driver Victor has had many very good reviews
on this forum, so we were surprised at this very
negative review. We can assure you that he does
not get a commission from the restaurants he
suggests to our guests. Victor is just following
our instructions to recommend clean places were we can guarantee your health. Proof of this is that you went to a different restaurant and one of you got quite sick and Claudia had to personally take care of him, at no extra cost.
Our place has very good reviews regarding
services which we can personally control. We do our best to provide you with third party services,
but we cannot guarantee the outcome. I can only
assure you that we do our best and are quite
disappointed that you were not 100 % satisfied during your stay.
We always do our best to make your stay a very special one.

Sincerely yours,