La Capilla Lodge
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvia taxisacred valleyhome away from homebit off the beaten trackmachu picchubeds were comfortablepeaceful gardenperfect hostsa great place to stayinca sitesday trekcusco airportbreakfast was includedzip liningfour nightssurrounding mountainshot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 31, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR Rhomina, Chris and Phyllis !!! who I felt could not have been warmer, kinder, caring or more thoughtful when I stayed with them in November 2013. In my opinion you can always tell the genuine guys from the pretend ones! Rhomina and Chris without a shadow of a doubt are the genuine guys and I highly recommend them and their hotel to you.

The longer I stayed at La Capilla Lodge the less I wanted to continue with my planned travels, indeed after two weeks, I cancelled travelling up to Lake Titicaca because there was just so much still to do and see around the Sacred Valley. For me I was exactly where I wanted and needed to be. Chris welcoming me with more food than I could possibly eat in the mornings/evenings (his meals were delicious), and Rhomina with an end of day hug wanting to hear all about my adventures.

La Capilla Lodge is situated approximately mid-way between Urubamba and Ollantaytambo, turning off the main road it is about 300 yards down a rustic track. The hotel itself is situated within totally private and high walled extensive gardens (with an abundance of flowering plants) courtesy of Phyllis who has succeeded in providing a place of calm and tranquility right in the heart of the beauty and magic of the Sacred Valley itself.

The panoramic views of the mountains from the hotel are breath-taking, literally! Especially if you try to climb them before acclimatizing to the air pressure! The part that I came to love is that all around the hotel there are a myriad of beautiful and scenic walkways, a walker’s paradise and no mistake. The locals I found to be especially friendly and helpful. There are many retreat like activities within short walking distances, though for me it was coming across Christina and Reynaldo that made my holiday so very special. I undertook a variety of healing courses with them to include shamanic yoga on a daily basis.

On the other side of the main road I came across a fantastic pottery (highly recommend this place). For half day walks Rhomina and Chris were able to recommend many, and with their expert knowledge and guidance I was easily able to fill my days with walks or activities that really suited me as a person and allowed me to sample Peru at its best.

For travel the main local bus is the cheapest (and slowest option), but as I found the drivers (in the main) to be unhelpful chose instead to use the small buses, being the next cheapest option but also I found the drivers were really helpful and friendly. For the shorter distances I would use the moto and lastly the taxi being the most expensive method of travel, I used for return to/from the airport only.

I personally really enjoyed staying at Agua Caliente for two nights, it was a total surprise considering that it is a stop off point for Machu Picchu. There was so much to see, the hot tubs are a must! And the choice and quality of cuisine on offer was amazing. Though I would like to add that I returned to Ollantaytambo several times as it has a charm and magic all of its own.

Room Tip: I stayed in the budget room, being a solo traveler and on a low budget and found it to be very comfortable and private, was most impressed.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JoInThialand
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for a couple of days in October 2013.
We would always go there again and recommend "La Capilla Lodge" to everybody!
The hosts are a lovely family who help you with everything you might need.
Its a lovely place to stay. The rooms a clean and comfortable and the inner yard is beautiful.
The breakfast is delicious and Chris cooks very, very good dinner.
You can meet very interesting people at the Lodge.
It's probably the best choice you can make, when you are in the area!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Veronika P
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I are on a six month tour in Peru with a car we purchased in Lima. The evening we were to arrive at La Capilla Lodge, we had the misfortune to have our car break down in the centre of Urubamba. After our call to La Capilla to let the owners, Romina and Chris, know we would be late, they did everything they could to help us. Moreover, when my wife's sister and husband were to join us for our last night at the lodge, but their flight to Peru was delayed, Romina's mother arranged for a taxi and hotel for them in LIma.
For the six days we stayed at La Capilla, Romina and Chris were very attentive to our needs. There was no need to eat elsewhere because the food was excellent. Chris' soups are fantastic. Our room was delightful, comfortable and spotless. The garden is a wonderful place to kick back and relax, particularly after excursions in the Sacred Valley. Chris is a great source of information for Urubamba and the surrounding area.
Frankly, in our opinion, La Capilla is far better than a five-star hotel because it is not stilted or expensive. Rather, it is much like a home where one can meet fellow travellers and enjoy the hospitality of Romina and Chris.
Thank you La Capilla! Our stay at your lodge is a highlight of our travels! We shall return.

Room Tip: Ask for the superior double!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Savagino
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Our family stayed at La Capilla in the end of August. I liked the location because it was pretty central in Sacred Valley and it's easy to get to a lot of sites. We spent couple nights before we head to Machu Picchu and and an other night after Machu Picchu. Rhomina and Christophe are very friendly and helpful. We were traveling with our toddler, who is not the easiest customer to have, but everyone from the lodge are so accommodating and friendly. It made me feel so much more at ease given the stress of traveling with a very active baby. I also love that the owners talk to the guest and are always willing to give helpful tips and they make you feel so welcome. It almost felt like I am spending my holiday at a friend's house! La Capilla truly represent the friendliness and hospitality of the Peru culture and I would love to come back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Crystal C
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I just got back from spending 2 weeks in Peru, and I had to write a review about La Cappila. We booked online not knowing anything about this hotel other than it was in the right area of the Sacred Valley, about half way between Cusco and MachuPiicchu. When we got there after a long day we where welcomed by the owners Rowena and Christophe and shown to our charming room.
It, along with all of the other rooms overlook the beautiful central garden. We spent the next hour
sipping tea and then a beer while listening to nothing but the wind in the trees, and buzzing of the
bees. While watching hummingbirds flit between the flowers we chatted with the owners and their sweet 3 year old Beatrice. Latter, when we asked for a recommendation for dinner they gave us several but said we would be welcome to share their evening meal. Delightful! The next day we had a great breakfast and had to say goodbye to our new best friends. We felt so very welcome staying in this beautiful place with these wonderful people that we changed our plans and stayed another night on our way back from Machu Picchu . We where greated back like long lost family. Both Chris and Roweana where great with travel help and advice and speak perfect English, French, and Spanish. We had the best time of our whole trip at La Cappila at the cost of 1 night at some of the other places we stayed at. This truly is a hidden gem.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, ask for the Puma room if your feeling romantic.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple