We were very delighted to arrive at this hotel, following a brief stay in Lima and a transit through Cusco. The travel agent had recommended an acclimatizing stay for three nights in the Sacred Valley, in order to get used to the altitude, before tackling Machu Picchu and Cusco. An excellent idea.
The location is quite stunning, in very extensive well established gardens, complete with a range of interesting local flora and fauna, including humming birds. All around the property are tall hills and mountains, one of which was snow capped with glaciers.
The hotel is made up of separate lodges throughout the grounds. Ours had an adjoining lodge and its own sitting out area, complete with recliner.
The lodge was extremely spacious and luxurious, including his and her's washbasins. The nights can get chilly at this altitude. The room had a wood burning fire. A hot water bottle was placed in the bed in the evening.
Breakfast was excellent. It was probably the best breakfast that we had in Peru. The herb omelette was a special treat.
It was a good base for our visits to the Sunday market at Pisac and to the Inca Fortress at Ollantaytambo.
The hotel has a very small pool, surrounded by comfortable loungers, next to the main restaurant.
The hotel has an adjoining property called Wayra, where you can see Paso horse demonstrations or book a half day or full day ride. We did the full day ride to Moray, Moras and Salinas, which was excellent, if a little challenging to me as a relatively novice rider. We both thoroughly enjoyed having an expert 90 minute massage in the hotel spa, after the ride and before our visit next day to Machu Pichu!
We felt very lucky that we were able to combine our evening meal at Wayra with a circus show and a Paso horse riding demonstration.
We wished that we had stayed there for longer. We would very happily stay there again and recommend it to anyone who appreciates nature, tranquility and the stunning setting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our unique property is an intimate 43-casitas hotel within 328,000 square feet of beautiful gardens surrounded by archaeological attractions, and many opportunities of outdoor activities.We have 15 high end luxury casitas like that one which have private terraces and plunge pools overlooking the gardens. They all have an entry porch, foyer, living room and are equipped with heating floor system and fireplace.All the decoration of the casitas is based on the art work of renowned Peruvian artists such as Jaime Leibane and the beautiful frescoed murals by acclaimed artist, Federico Bauer which makes them all really special and unique. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol And Luna Lodge & Spa
- Sol & Luna Hotel Urubamba
- Sol Luna Urubamba
- Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux Peru/Urubamba, Sacred Valley