“Humming birds abound”

Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here just before our trip to Machu Picchu. I spent a whole afternoon wandering about or keeping very still (!) taking photos of the amazing birds around Sol y Luna. I captured at least 3 different humming birds. The food was excellent in the main restaurant and all the staff very friendly. I did ask for extra water and was told to ask at the bar rather than receive via room service. No hair drier either. But hey, really no big deal. the whole place was a delight.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
PetitMiribel, Owner at Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are delighted to know you had a great time at our property.

We will look into your hairdryer comment since all casitas should have one. And thank you also for your comments on the water. We will look into it

Thanks again from all the Sol & Luna team!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,454)

Reviewed April 7, 2013

A beautiful oasis, full of color, flowers, birds and butterflies. The staff was very helpful. Exquisite cuisine, maybe a bit pricey. We also enjoyed a peruvian barbecue, abundant, different and delicious, all this while enjoying a horse show. Our casita had a king-size bed and a mezzanine with two queen- size beds. The room was more than large enough for the 3 of us. The bathroom was also very nice and super clean. The perfect resting place after visiting the sacred valley.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with our future guests and for your comments on the property, the staff, and your casita.

We are glad you were able to try the barbecue at Wayra ranch with the Peruvian Paso Horseshow.

Thanks again and we hope you visit us again.

Warmly from the Sol & Luna team,

Reviewed March 29, 2013

As you turn off the main road - the only road, really - and down what seems like a dead end, the gates swing open on this fine lodge. The casitas are large and well-appointed. Wifi is free. The garden is outstanding. We found the service to be excellent as well. A challenge here and in many such places is dealing with group travel. We were only six but there was a large party, perhaps twenty-five who dominated the evening. They had booked a music and dance group and took over the pool area for their performance. The music rocketed through the grounds yet when some of us stood nearby to watch, we were told to leave as this was a private party. How private could it be when there was no escape? Service and food in the dining room was average, perhaps again from dealing with the large group at other tables. This is a good resting place and may well deserve a higher rating in the absence of a big tour group!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jdarr
PetitMiribel, Owner at Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are delighted to know you loved the property, the gardens and the service.

Indeed we have some larger groups that book shows and specific activities and we are sorry this was uncomfortable for you. Thank you for pointing this out. We will take your recommendation so this kind of situations dont bother other guests.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back at Sol & Luna.

All the best,

Reviewed March 27, 2013

What a delightful way to acclimate to the altitude before trekking to Mach Picchu.
This property is beautifully kept, the gardens wonderful.

The highlight of our stay was going to sleep every night with a fire in the fireplace. The rooms are large and lush with King bed, a sitting area, a desk area and yes even a dining area. The bathroom is divine, large shower, large soaker tub which is separate and double sinks. Oh and don't forget the clay tile floors that are heated. Each casita shares an entry foyer just for two rooms, another great place to sit and enjoy the humming birds outside the window.

We have travelled to over 65 countries and I must place this in the top ten of properties, it is divine once inside the gates.

This hotel has excellent restaurants on location with delicious food. All the food of Peru though, I must say, is delicious.

Dear guest,

Thank you for such an amazing review.

We are glad you had such a great time and that you loved your casita, the fireplace, the gardens, restaurants and the property itself.

Thanks again from all the Sol & Luna team!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Within the area of a typical Peruvian country town, the Sol Y Luna is a beautiful oasis. Their gardens are lovely. The food was good. Our family happened to catch an outdoor show that was done in elaborate costumes with drumming for a tour group (A&K) that was at the hotel. We also purchased the dinner & horse show. (A nice addition to an evening dinner, but not particularly special).
I do have to say there is a big difference between the rooms. Our teenage daughters were in the regular casitas. They had no television, mini bar and their beds were uncomfortable.
My husband and I were in a deluxe casita and it was lovely and well-appointed. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had marble (maybe granite) and a free standing tub.
A nice experence, all in all. They did seem awfully short staffed. There was a time when I needed help with train tickets and couldn't find anyone who spoke english. There was a manager who was out 'doing inspections" and was helpful to me when I found him an hour later.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitly spring for the casita if you can.....about five times bigger then the regular rooms and al...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
PetitMiribel, Owner at Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your comments on our gardens, food, shows and your Casita.

When we started the property with only Superior Casitas and we are on the process of upgrading them to be similar to the Deluxe and Premium so thank you for your comments. They will help us improove and continue to pamper our guests.

Thanks again and all the best from the Sol & Luna team!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Let me begin by saying this property is simply breathtaking. I really cannot imagine at more beautiful place to stay near Machu Picchu. I researched the other properties and even though there are newer, more contemporary hotels with 1st class namesakes, Sol Y Luna is by far better. It reminds me of a fine Relais Chateau property in Europe. It has class, charm, the staff all speak perfect English, they are attentive, polite and I couldn’t say more. Food is wonderful,fresh and delicious. Plus, it is at the center of everything you want to see in and around Machu Picchu.What more could one want?
We were upgraded to one of the new casitas (#41) at the further edges of the property. The spa bath that open to an outdoor Jacuzzi overlooking the cliffs are simply magnificent. The bed linens are to die for and being a person that has searched the planet for sheets that feel like silk, I can only say I would have never guessed to find them here.
The staff are amazing and seem to have had very fine training. Our room service meal (dinner) arrived in 20 minutes. When my brother’s tripod needed to be fixed with a special screwdriver, they took it and it was perfect ready for use the next morning. Quite extraordinary.
Now for the more challenging aspects…which in my mind are somewhat a shame considering how perfect everything else is.
First and foremost there is virtually no internet. Our casita at the rear edges of the property barely had one bar and none of our phones or ipad devices could connect because the signal was so weak. The small signal we did have was in one small corner of our livingroom where my brother and I huddled together to check mails etc. Here we had this fantastic 900+ sq ft casita and we had to cram ourselves in a 4 foot square corner for hours to check our mails. It seems they need another access point on the wifi to better service the back of the property. Since this area has the most expensive casitas, it is a shame that the finest accommodations, that they have clearly spent significant sums to upgrade, are so lacking in adequate wifi service. So if you need internet, this property might be a problem for you.
Finally we had no heat. We were in Peru in March and it was cool and rainy. The casitas are heated by radiant heating in the floors, however it never worked the while we were there. They do come to make fires in the rooms, which are very romantic. However , I was there with my brother and even though I love my brother, having to huddle next to the fire to stay warm in this huge Casita, took some of the enjoyment out of the size and spaciousness of the room.
All said, I still loved Sol Y Luna despite the glitches, and would stay there again. The location is perfect and a MUCH more comfortable altitude than Cusco to see and enjoy the area around Machu Picchu as well as Cusco. I highly recommend Sol Y Luna.

Room Tip: Choose the renovated Casitas! high 30's-40's but ask for one with internet if important

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your excellent comments regarding the property itself, food, staff, bed linens, etc.

Regarding internet access, I inquired with front desk about that day and they informed me that they indeed had some trouble with the signal in the area.

About the floors, it was indeed malfunctioning for your casita and we have taken care of it. I apologyze for any inconvenience these aspects may have caused you.

We look forward to seeing you back at Sol & Luna!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place is the most beautiful charming place I have ever stayed. The rooms are both sumptuously appointed and immaculately clean. The staff are attentive and the food is delicious. I would recommend this for any one who enjoys beauty and luxury.

• Stayed: March 2013
PetitMiribel, Owner at Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for such an amazing review!

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your Casita, the food, the grounds and the property itself. We are happy that the staff was helpful as well.

We hope to see you again at Sol & Luna.

All the best!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado
JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Explora Valle Sagrado
Explora Valle Sagrado
#1 of 29 in Urubamba

Been to Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux? Share your experiences!