“Pretty but isolated”

Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Urubamba
Toronto, Canada
“Pretty but isolated”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

When we were being driven up to this hotel at night, within a humble town, up a back road with no street lights ... in the middle of nowhere, we were very relieved to arrive at a gated hotel that turned out to have very pretty grounds. There wasn't really anything exceptional about the rooms and the Wi-Fi was only available in the lobby and it was easily the weakest signal that I had the entire Peru trip. Since our experience of the drive up the back alley road to the hotel, we were not confident that we could just walk to a good restaurant here nor would we know how to get back to the hotel so we ate dinner at the hotel. The food was not great. Nothing that we ordered was above average in any way. Instead of trying to order local type Peruvian fare, I ordered the Spaghetti with meat sauce because I wanted the carbs to deal with all the anticipated walking I would do at Machu Picchu the next day. The spaghetti was probably one of the blandest ones I've ever had. What was worse was that we got a knock on the door after our dinner. We were told in very certain terms by tour guides and the internet that tipping was not part of Peruvian protocol or culture. So since the food was very unexceptional we definitely did not feel that rare urge to tip anyways. The knock on the door was the waiter wanting to confirm that everything was fine with our meal and that we were okay with the service. Whether the waiter did this on his own initiative or was ordered by his manager to do this, this was intrusive and very presumptuous. When I was a waiter, I never did this ... and I was working in a country where tipping is customary.
If I had to do Machu Picchu again with two planned days at the ruins, I would skip the stay in the Sacred Valley altogether. I would have rather stayed in Cusco and take a morning train to Machu Picchu, taken an afternoon tour, ate dinner at the Tree House restaurant, stayed at again at a hotel at the base of Machu Picchu and wake up early to hit it before the rest of the tourists arrive.
If you stay in Sacred Valley, you better like your hotel because there wasn't really anything else to do in the evening.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
AGUSTOS HOTEL C, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Agustos Urubamba, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments on TRIPADVISOR.

Unfortunately the WI-FI service in Urubamba City is not working properly. This is an internet operator's problem all over the city.

Regarding your comments on the tip, it is not necessary to leave a tip because we charge a 10% service on the bill. If the behavior of the waiter has caused some inconvenience, we apologize.

Best Regards,

Agusto’s Hotel Team
Cusco- Peru.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stood there for 2 nights, and the rooms are very nice and comfortable, they have great views from everywhere you turn. The gardens around it make evertything much better, The food and service are very good, people are very kind! Worth every penny. I'd go back without a doubt!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The immaculate grounds were amazing! Beautiful flowers, amazing landscaping and a very quiet, peaceful site to gaze at the mountains!

The continental breakfast was ok. The menu translations were hilarious for dinner-I wouldn't eat here unless its necessary for convenience, the pricing seemed high for what you get.

The rooms were great, very spacious! The beds, oh, the beds-now my back is probably better for it but I had a hard time sleeping in on that rock hard bed! I would definately recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms with multiple beds all have queens, so if your traveling with several people, you are gettting...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tucson
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed there for one night. The place is not as pastoric or bucolic as I expected to find. I had this mental picture of a place in the country with trails to walk on. It is down a dirt lane, surrounded by buildings, about a mile outside of Urabamba. We found the staff difficult to deal with and unknowlegible about the local area or anywhere else. The breakfast served was nothing special. We ate dinner in the restaurant one night as it was too much annoyance to go into Urabamba for a restaurant and found the food to be poorly prepared and disappointing. Also, the restaurant staff was fawning all over us because we were the only ones eating in the restaurant. Normally, I never eat in the restaurant where we stay and now I know why. I should have stayed in Ollyantambo as more to do and ten times more interesting than Urabamba but this is all my travel agent had available. Don't stay at this place if your plans are to do anything other than lie around and look at the trees and the wildlife.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Beautiful gardens with sheep grazing and a rabbit enclosure. Hummingbirds and other birds were often spotted in the large garden. Very peaceful and quiet environment for lazing around or meditating. They have patios or balconies in the rooms that overlook the gardens. Rooms are large and comfy with lots of hot water for showers. They provide extra blankets and a heater in the room if you feel cold. Breakfast was so-so with limited spread. It's located a distance away from the main street.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Violetferrari
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed April 15, 2013

In every travel experience, appears moments where the difference of environment, people culture, food, language, weather, etc makes any one feel stressed or uncomfortable because of that. At Agustos we felt a power up of energy that make our journey to Machu Picchu a real boost. The flowers, kindness and service made this "pit stop" an unforgettable time. We will be definitely back for more time to discover of the Urubamba energy. My regards to Hotel, we felt like home :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ric_chavez
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was traveling through South America with a group and we stayed one night (prior to trip to Machu Picchu) in this hotel.
Hotel is nice and quite and placed in beautiful garden.
Wi-fi is free but available only in the reception area.
Only bad thing was that one lady from the group had some nasty insects in her room.

All in all, good hotel with nice soroundings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ivanb22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Inti Nan Hotel
Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
San Agustin Urubamba Hotel
San Agustin Urubamba Hotel
#16 of 26 in Urubamba

Been to Hotel Agustos Urubamba? Share your experiences!