All reviews the river baby alpacas indoor outdoor jacuzzi machu picchu sacred valley the hiram bingham train junior suite steam room golf cart beautiful location rain shower massage at the spa private garden the general manager relaxing stay wonderful hotel stayed nights
Selected filters
Reviewed March 23, 2019

With the PeruRail Sacred Valley train directly stopping at the hotel door, the Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado seemed the perfect place to start our Macchu Picchu bucket list adventure. It's location at around 8,000 feet (versus 11,000 feet for Cuzco) seemed a good way to limit altitude sickness (Macchu Picchu is around the same altitude). The Sacred Valley train was similar to the Hiram Bingham train but at less than 1/2 the cost.

Before arriving, we got lots of help from Valeria, who was able to set up a car from Cuzco airport, bus tickets up and down from the train to Macchu Picchu, MP entry tickets, and a private guide. We made our own LIM-CUZ plane arrangements and train (Internet special). Before arriving in Lima from our Oceania cruise, we realized that we needed a car from the cruise terminal to Lima airport. Via email, Valeria was quickly able to help us.

On our arrival, we quickly checked in and felt well pampered. Our garden view room was beautiful and the property was beautiful with a raging river nearby. While we didn't have the chance to try out the spa (including the Inca shower), we loved the on-site restaurant (Restaurant El Huerto), where we had great breakfasts (included, try the tamales) and a great dinner (including local specialties, guinea pig and alpaca). Everyone was very friendly and informative with local and cultural insights.

We did Macchu Picchu the next day with the train on-time at our front door and someone waiting for us upon our return (with an electric cart to directly take us to our room). On our return, we realized that we forgot to stop at the Belmond Sanctuary at Macchu Picchu for their logo polo. Valeria, Beliza and other front office people were able to call the hotel and find out what logo apparel was available, forward 3 pieces on approval, and get us what we wanted. Great extra effort.

We fed the 2 house llamas (Apu and Chicharon) the next afternoon and relaxed on site, finishing with a light dinner and an awesome chocolate mint dessert at the hotel restaurant. We finished our visit with another arranged car by Valeria, which included a stop in Chinchero to see locals make alpaca apparel from raw fiber to dyed material to finished product.

We felt fully pampered throughout and would gladly stay again, if we were ever in the area again.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
belmond_hotels_peru, Gerente at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2019

Dear Alan L;

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to share a review on Tripadvisor about your recent experience with us in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.

We are more than happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We are located 4-5 minutes driving away from Urubamba in a privileged location aside the Urubamba River, and we are delighted to read that you enjoyed the breathtaking views the Valley offer us. Thank you for your comments on the staff and service as we strive to make you feel as at home.

As you mentioned, our Front Desk is always willing to help with any activities, transportation arrangements, or any special requests/needs our guests could have.

We sincerely hope to have the honor to have you back again in Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, to enjoy and relax in our Mayu Wilka spa.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2019 via mobile

We loved staying in the Sacred Valley, and we loved many things about this hotel. The setting is unreal, and the grounds are beautifully maintained. There are baby alpaca feedings in the morning, right next to the rushing Urubamba River. It’s truly idyllic. However, the best part of the hotel are the people who work there.

From check-in, the staff was attentive and helpful. In the restaurant, the food was rather good, but the service was better. In the spa, the massages were okay, but the people who worked there were precious. So, what I’m saying is, the staff carries this place, making up in many ways for the hotel’s shortcomings. After staying in the Belmond in Lima, which has the most comfortable beds and pillows I can remember, I cannot imagine why this property offers such miserable mattresses and pillows. I’m typing this with a bum shoulder because I was so uncomfortable in the night. For me, that could be a deal breaker for a return visit.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjgjess1

Dear Sjgjess1;

Thank you for taking the time to share you comments on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry about your inconvenience with your mattresses and pillows at the hotel. We are changing in for new ones it's the reason will be hard for you.

We work very hard eveyday with all the personel in order to give our guest unique experiences.

I hope to see you in the short future to enjoy our cinema under sky, you will love it.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 10, 2019

Nice view. Our room was small and tight. The bathroom was ok. We stayed for 2 nights. The service in the dinning room was ok. After staying at other Belmond Hotels for this vacation, the service here was not up to par. The food was good not memorable. The golf cart service was a life saver.

Date of stay: January 2019
1  Thank M H
belmond_hotels_peru, Gerente at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2019

Dear MH;

Thank you for your election and for taking the time to leave your comments in Tripadvisor.

We have two golf carts in order to help our guest to be transfered to other places like the spa, pool and teh restaurant.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us. We hope to welcome you again to recover your confidence in the quality of Belmond service.

Cordially

Reviewed March 9, 2019

This place is truly beautiful with a really unbeatable feeling of seclusion and privacy, right along the Urubamba river. The grounds are meticulously kept up, with flowers and foliage everywhere you turn. There is also a really lovely pool area (that's likely newer than the rest of the property) which we spent some time at relaxing. My one complaint is to more closely monitor parents with children. There was an afternoon where parents came in with young kids and essentially took over the pool with splashing and screaming and toys from home. Not really a hotel's fault when this is happening, but perhaps some stern signage would do the trick. I think this is probably an anomaly and overall the other days spent there were tranquil.

Food is pretty solid here, but the restaurant itself could perhaps use a little bit of sprucing up, though its quite pleasant. I think they could update the decor. Overall very enjoyable.

The spa is also wonderful. Its small, but special with a wonderful jacuzzi both inside and outside. The treatment I had (stone massage) was actually quite lovely.

Basically, this place (like many others) is imperfect, but there is something about its uniqueness that just really works. It feels rather special and I highly recommend.

We also thought about Sol y Luna (which we went to for dinner and was gorgeous) and Tambo del Inka (which I am glad we avoided as its much closer in town and sort of feels very commercial compared to Belmond).

Room tip: Ask for a room higher up on the hill so you get a vista view
Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank 398ajk

Dear 398ajk;

Thank you for choosing Hotel Rio Sagrado during your stay in the Sacred Valley of the Inkas and for taking the time to share your recent experience on Trip Advisor. We are more than happy to know that we exceeded your expectation which is what we strive for in Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado.

I will make sure that your comments are passed to all of our Staff.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you again in the near future, and do not miss the opportunity to have a Mystical Ceremony, performed with a Shaman, you will be surprised !!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed March 9, 2019

I stayed at the Rio Sagrado with my family for a few days in December. We did enjoy our time here, although the house we stayed is was a bit of a weird place. I guess I will just list everything as I remember it:

The house:
We stayed in a free-standing house with 3 bedrooms, as we were a group of 6. I thought it was a bit on the cold side, and I dont like to be cold so that wasnt ideal to be honest. I tried to turn up every heater I could find, but it didnt help so much.
There was a nice big kitchen but we were on holiday so that didnt matter so much. For me, beds and bathrooms are of utmost importance when I travel; I thought the beds were comfy but cold at night (see above), and I didnt like the bathrooms, I recall. They were very dark, kind of old and I believe the hair dryer was also not too good. I remember I couldnt see to put on my makeup.

The property:
Its gorgeous. Its by a river and you have outstanding views of the landscape. The hotel also puts out lovely sitting areas for guests to just hang out and enjoy being there, which I love love love. They are totally picturesque and comfortable as well. The restaurant and the bar are great, guests are well fed and the drinks are delicious.
I actually celebrated a big wedding anniversary there, and the hotel set up a Peruvian style barbeque under a tent outside in the evening by the river... romantic and beautiful, it was an unforgettable way to mark the years.

The spa: My daughter and her boyfriend went to the spa for a massage, and they enjoyed the experience. I was there for a manicure because my nail broke, and I dont think it was a good manicure, bless her heart, but it wasnt expensive so I didnt mind at all. The spa is beautiful though, and a nice place to hang out and unwind.

I would definitely go back to this hotel despite the slight inconvenience of the rooms. I feel that the service offered and the beauty of the setting are totally worth it.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear heavycat69;

We really appreciate your time to comment about your experience with us.

Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado is not locaed in the main road but as you see after a long trip you feel like you stop in the paradise with a really nice view to the mountain and the Urubamba river.
It was a pleasure having you with us and specially that we did our best to make your stay memorable.

Hope to have you back with us soon and could enjoy our garden luch with this magical scenary

Best Regards