“Outstanding hotel with an incredible view....staff and rooms!”

Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I just returned from spending two nights at the Rio Sagrado and can simply say it was one of the most beautiful hotels with outstanding food and service we have ever stayed at .....and we have traveled all over Europe and North America.

Nestled in one of the most beautiful spots overlooking the river, our room was beautifully appointed as were all the other rooms throughout the hotel.

We were very pleased with every aspect of our stay and highly commend Floris (the General Manager) for his excellent job in hiring and training an outstanding staff!

We highly recommend Rio Sagrado to anyone who wants to avoid the crowds in Cusco and stay at one of the finest hotels in Peru.

Room Tip: Junior Suites are larger than regular rooms and have spectacular views and private patios as well.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Randy G
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear RandyG
Thank you for contributing and for your recommendation.
I enjoyed meeting you and look forward to receiving you again with us.

Warm regards

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have just spent three nights at Rio Sagrado in a Junior Suite overlooking the stunning river and it was just incredible. The staff were consistently delightful: attentive but not at all intrusive. I actually was quite ill with altitude sickness at first and I indulged in the spa with hot stone massages, salt exfoliations, acclimatizing head & shoulder massages, and a reflexology treatment. The masseurs had magic hands and the treatments were divine! When I mentioned I'd been sick the staff responded immediately and I found a tank of oxygen and a llama hot water bottle on my bed when I returned from the spa. The nightly turndown service is a nice extra. We had zero bugs and really I don't see how they could get in when there are screens to pull down. The shower was luxurious and the bath and body products were lovely. The meals were really tasty though my appetite wasn't really up to eating much so I missed out on the Friday evening BBQ and Pisco tasting :-( Everything was perfect. I've already said to my friend I absolutely will be back again!! Thank you!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Estimado Leigh M,
I do hope to have you back with us, any time.
As allways, these great reviews keep us going the extra mile to exceed and anticipate our guests needs, thank you!
Looking forward to meet during your next visit.

Gerente General

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Hotel is located in a gorgeous valley along the Urubamba river with spectacular views. It is recommended to stay in the sacred valley to acclimatize before your tour in Cusco. We arrived at around 6pm and were swiftly checked in by the friendly staff. During our stay of 2 nights we noticed that this hotel stands out for 2 reasons - the fantastic service and the spectacular view. It has only 21 rooms so is very private and you can't help but feel like this is your own little heaven. We chose to stay in the Queen suites which are Junior suites with a private garden deck overlooking the valley and river. It was just lovely waking up and sitting in this patio sipping coca tea (good for altitude sickness). The whole design of the rooms and hotel premises are well thought out. (except the 2-3 flights of stairs you have to climb to get back to the rooms from the restaurant). There is however, a buggy that you can call if needs be. The rooms are modern and clean and very comfortable. The toilet has wonderful amenities. The spa has a jacuzzi and steam room which are free to use. The masseuse was professional. The food featuring local produce was very, very good! There is a starter made of corn which was recommended by the staff which was delicious. There are plenty of areas to relax overlooking the river, even a pair of hammocks for couples. I noticed some negative reviews regarding bugs. Yes, the bugs are there OUTSIDE, not on our beds or our food. I see they have taken many steps to keep them out. Bravo, because the bugs didn't bother us! You can feed milk to an Alpaca and a baby Alpaca at 8am and 3pm. There are local village folk who knit on the premises. 1 Soles (about 40 cents US) is the usual tip anywhere in the valley for taking a picture of the folk in the traditional wear. Everyone in the region knows this is the best hotel to stay in the Sacred valley and now so do you!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slowmo74

Dear Slowmo74
Thank you for your review on trip advisor, very complete and usefull.
I am pleased to hear you had a wonderfull time at Rio Sagrado, especially to read that the fruit flies did not bother you. A sign that our measures are resulting in a considerable reduction in their population around our grounds.
Hope to have you back with us shortly.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This place is truly breathtaking! Our room was beautiful and our deck totally spacious. My husband and I also loved that our room did not have a TV (one could have been delivered upon request) so that we could really enjoy the beauty around us without getting distracted by a television screen. The bathroom was absolutely gorgeous with a giant shower overlooking the property. The spa provides two jacuzzis, one inside and the other outside, that are wonderfully relaxing after a long day of touring. The service was personable, the food delicious (they even have a small garden on site!) and the property itself just magical. The only downside to this property is all the stairs, especially in light of the elevation, but that is one tiny tiny downside to what is a truly fantastic hotel. This is a gem of a hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shellster3

Dear Shellster3
I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing.
Aldough I regret there was a downside, despite the golf cart that we have available. We have recently started to "promote" this service more explicitly to make sure our guests are aware we have the cart available and that they are encouraged to call us for a pick up.
I hope at least the steps prepared you for Machu Picchu.
We hope to have you back whenever your time permits, it will be a pleasure.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

What a beautiful and scenic resort to ease yourself into acclimatization of the sacred valley of the Incas. We took full advantage ot this place by scheduling massages within the first hour of our arrival. The spa is a beautiful and restful place to remove all the stresses of our recent long journey and to begin a most restful vacation. The staff was most accomodating. They arranged a full day of touring and shopping, starting with the ruins and the markets of Pisac, followed by an afternoon in Ollytaytambo. On our last day they arranged a morning horseback riding trip to Salinas de Maras. The restaurant and wait staff was top notch. From there we were heading to Machu Picchu via Peru Rail,because we were unable to bring all our luggage with us, they arranged transport of our luggage to our next destination in Cusco. My only regret is that we just had 3 days to spend, we could have easily spent a week. We eagerly await a return visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skman

Thank you for your great review on Trip Advisor
I am pleased to hear you discovered the Maras Salt mines, one of my favourites, especially on horse back...
We all look forward to having you back with us for a week stay, that would be fenomenal!

All the best from Rio Sagrado

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My three nights at Rio Sagrado and its world class spa gave me the tranquility I needed, it was Orient Express at its best.. After a superb breakfast I was driven to a spectacular weaving centre in Chincheros which has some of the finest weavings in the World. A finely restored colonial church and Inca ruins are in the town. Later that day, I visited the ancient salt mines of Maras - like a pearl necklace spread out on the adobe mountainside.

Rio Sagrado's staff were immensely helpful. I will return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank haciendacusin

Dear Haciendacusin,
Algough late in my reply, I thank you for sharing your comment here.
It was a great pleasure to meet you and I am happy you were able to leave restored from your stay. I am sure Daneri's trip to Cusco was able to extend your spa experience away from Rio Sagrado
Thanks to your recommendations, we now have Nilda's book on The traditional weaving in our shop.

Hope t see you back very soon in Peru

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed @ 3 Orient Express hotels (Rio Sagrado, Sanctuary & Monasterio) & the Rio Sagrado was by far the best! Received 5 * attention in an outstanding location AND the cuisine was excellent. Wish I could have stayed far longer.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
oeperu, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear JohnG
Thank you for sharing your experience at Rio Sagrado
Again, to be named the best hotel is absolutely amazing and rewarding for the team and myself.
I regret you did not manage to extend your stay but in any case, you will always be more than welcome on your next trip to Peru.
With best regards and thank you once more
Floris Boyen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado
Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux
Casa Andina Premium Valle Sagrado Hotel & Villas
Explora Valle Sagrado
Explora Valle Sagrado
#1 of 29 in Urubamba
Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness
Belmond Palacio Nazarenas

Been to Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado? Share your experiences!