“Security and Safety Trump All”

Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Urubamba
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My daughter (18) and I (her mother, 50) stayed at this beautiful hotel after a day hiking in Macchu Picchu. Around 10:00 PM in the evening, with our lights out and in bed sleepinig. I heard someone unlocking our door. I immediatly called down to the Front Desk regarding the incident. Around five minutes later, I got up went to the door and realized that the door is not equipped with an inside safety lock. Someone was on the other side of the door, I called out thinking it was the Front Desk/Security - it was not. I called down to the Front Desk again - and was told again that they would let me know the situation. They never called. In the AM, after a very unrestful night, I went to the Front Desk and asked for an incident report - the Morning Front Desk personnell had no knowledge of the events of the prior evening regarding our break-in. The manager was not available. We were also staying at the Aranwa property in Cusco - the manager finally called us the morning we were leaving and did not have an answer - he only said that the security personnel on duty that night was off and he was waiting for him to arrive at work that day. The hotel is beautiful, however, I will never stay at another hotel without an inside safety lock. I took pictures and sent to Aranwa Corporate and never heard from them. I guess the safety of one female customer with her daughter is not of their concern.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Margaret V
There are newer reviews for Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My adult daughter and I stayed here one night as part of a tour to Machu Picchu. Gorgeous grounds, excellent restaurant. Good choice for acclimating to the Andes' thin air as its elevation is lower than Cusco's. Not sure of value as the price was bundled into the tour, but definitely would consider a return visit if I should be in the area again.

1  Thank Ed C
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My family and I were planning our first trip to Peru and our target was, as most other folks', Machu Picchu. We were thinking of starting our trip in Cusco, as the standard seems to be, but the concierge at Aranwa in Sacred Valley correctly pointed out that Cusco is at a higher altitude, so we were risking high altitude sickness. This point made perfect sense to us, and this is how our path led straight to Aranwa in Sacred Valley and hen to Aranwa in Cusco. Later on we encountered several tourists who told us that they had been quite uncomfortable in Cusco during the first couple of days because of the altitude and their good physical shape didn't help. The problem is, most tourists don't have a couple of days to acclimatize, so starting off a lower altitude is key. We all felt only very mild symptoms when hiking too fast and htey went away as soon as we caught our breath.
The Aranwa resort is truly special, a wonderful mix of old and new, with perfectly manicured grounds, which is full of pets and surrounded by natural wonders. It has everything one can imagine and actually so much more. Despite our extensive research, Aranwa still managed to be a big pleasant surprise for all of us.
My wife and daughter told me that the spa was the best they have encountered, and they have encountered quite a few around the world. The gym was great as well, not a small feat in South America.
The room was very spacious, well decorated and we had our "private" garden.
The restaurants were much better than I had expected to find in Peru and the service was consistently excellent. Service was above and beyond in all areas, from the concierge to various staff.
I was concerned that the hotel was too remote for various trips we intended to take in the gorgeous Urubamba Valley. There was no problem, as the hotel offers both their own cars for hire or taxis.
Did we encounter any problem? Oh, well, at one point we had to leave...We hope on day to come back to this wonderful place and meet again those wonderful people.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank tastefirst
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I take a lot pf people to different Hotels and I have to deal with the maitre'd of the Hotels but when it comes to the Aranwa Hotal at the Sacred valley in Urubamba, Cuzco, to work with Mr, Carlos Velasquez, is the best, every single time he is ther to help with a smile and to get what you need, what a great person, he is, always plesant and willing to help everyone, The Hotel should be very proud that they have sych a servive oriented person working for them.Again I have worked with many Maitre'd but Mr. Carlos Velazquez is the BEST, He is always observing to see how he can help. If the Hotel has a great employee is Mr, Carlos Vasquez thank you for having him work for you, nothsing goes by that he will nor help to make sure the guest are happy with the Hotel
Roberto Rocafort

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tito057
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Wow! You are driving through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world and you turn and drive down a dirt bumpy river road and you would never guess that what lies beyond that gate is another piece of parardise! Aranwa Sacred Valley hotel has mixed the old and the new into perfect harmony. The staff is attentive to your every need, suberb restaurant offers food for every palate and a delightful waitress - Ruth is very sweet & helpful , practice Engish with her, she is trying to learn it. Make sure you try a massage at the spa, you will be throroughly pampered, what a perfect way to relax after traveling or hiking! We stayed in a Colonial suite and thought we were royalty, the rooms are huge and the bathroom larger.

2  Thank Jujiigirl21
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This place was a paradaise in the midst of this amazing valley. Outstanding service and food, and wonderful people. Wonderful mini-villas with really nice rooms. Food was delicious-Carlos very attentive. Since it is a bit off the beaten path, you avoid the noise and commotion of towns down valley. We will be back! Also great jogging nearby.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank WildernationalMed
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My family and I stayed at this facility during late June. We celebrated our wedding anniversary and our birthdays while visiting this paradise resort. We were treated to outstanding service and Spa amenities. The scenic and spectacular setting of this resort is breath taking. General Manager Thomas Henesler and his staff know how to cater to every detail of our family's time spent at the resort. The concierge service provided expert advice and planning tips for our trek to Machu Picchau adventure. Every step was one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring locations we have ever visited.

1  Thank maguirezay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urubamba
Tambo del Inka, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado
Casa Andina Premium Valle Sagrado Hotel & Villas
Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado
#2 of 28 in Urubamba
Sol y Luna - Relais & Chateaux
Aranwa Cusco Boutique Hotel
Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay

Been to Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness? Share your experiences!