“A nice place to stay.”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
Berkley, Michigan
“A nice place to stay.”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We really liked our stay here. The staff was very helpful, the rooms were clean and the whole place was very calm and quaint. The staff goes out of their way to help you. My hiking stick had broke and the staff fixed it for me without me even asking. They also packed us a snack when they heard we would miss breakfast due to our early checkout. The outdoor courtyard and garden really was a great place to relax. We even changed our itinerary and stayed an extra night here instead of in Cusco because we liked it so much better. If you want a nice hike that's nearby, see the Inca grain houses, Pinkuylluna. It's beautiful, free, quiet and hardly anyone goes to it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheri K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Abilene
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here one night. The hotel was clean and comfortable. There was plenty of hot water which is important to me. As per usual in South America, the breakfast was mainly breads with meats and cheese. It is in easy walking distance from the main square and is a 15-20 min walk form the train station. The internet was accessible from my room, but not all of my friends' rooms.

Room Tip: I had a room on the patio so I could reach the wifi. Upstairs rooms didn't seem to have internet...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This two star hotel deserves maybe half a star more although the front desk is not always awake when you ring the doorbell. It's a beautyful place, clean rooms, warm water and wifi almost everywhere. We left before breakfast, which starts at 6 am (a bit late), so we wouldn't know how it was. We were satisfied and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon and were shown to our rooms.They were spotlessly clean but very simple. The bathrooms were adequate but the ambience was lacking.The same man seemed to be carrying out every possible combination - receptionist, waiter and porter - helpful in a disinterested way. The dining room was okay and the food edible.The positionof the hotel was excellent for the station.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
California City, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is comfortably located, and the employees are kind enough. They will not go the extra mile and sometimes you have to convince them to help you, but overall they are okay.

There are a few issues: unclean rooms. The sheets and towels are good, but the room hasn't received a mop for about a few months. I felt disgusted to find some dirt under my bed, but luckily I stopped here for a few hours only, on my way from Aguas Calientes to Maras and Moray.

Hot water is another issue. As mentioned in other reviews, water doesn't come out hot. Sometimes it's lukewarm and some people mentioned that it will not even get to that point. As I stayed for 1 night, it wasn't a big deal, but I don't think I could handle several days without hot water, specially after all the hiking activities that you do in the area during the day.

Then, the breakfast is nice, but the coffee is instant. When a hotel charges USD 50, the coffee better be "real". A major problem in Peru, which has outstanding coffee plantations and one of the best coffee beans you can taste. Yet, some medium ranged hotels still give you Nescafe for breakfast. This is a bit disappointing, specially before starting your hiking.

The location is great and the rooms are beautifully located. You can open your window in the morning and view the snowed peaks from your room and the whole setting feels like someone's home. I believe that the staff could go a bit farther and make this hotel a blast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Ollantaytambo hotels

Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We thankfully only stayed one night here. We had to wake the receptionist up at 4pm to get in and were not made to feel welcome. The room was basic but Ok. When I tried to have a shower a trickle of cold water came out. I queried this with the disinterested receptionist who said wait 15 minutes. I did still no water. I resigned myself to no shower. It was still not working in the morning. The place has the potential to be nice as it is in a quiet location with a nice garden but they need to train their staff and maintain the property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed at Ollantaytambo lodge a couple months ago. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The staff was horribly rude and almost demeaning towards us. We had a reservation but our room was not ready upon arrival, even though we arrived late in the day. In addition, the room was dirty and not nearly worth the money we spent. But honestly, this place could be alright if it weren't for the staff, who are just some of the rudest people I've ever met. This place needs to learn what customer service is if it ever wants to succeed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple