“Worst hotel experience of my life”

Ollantaytambo Lodge
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
New York City, New York
“Worst hotel experience of my life”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed at Ollantaytambo lodge a couple months ago. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The staff was horribly rude and almost demeaning towards us. We had a reservation but our room was not ready upon arrival, even though we arrived late in the day. In addition, the room was dirty and not nearly worth the money we spent. But honestly, this place could be alright if it weren't for the staff, who are just some of the rudest people I've ever met. This place needs to learn what customer service is if it ever wants to succeed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrissyd607

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Schenectady, NY
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Making a reservation with this hotel was a nightmare. I literally had to call them 12 times to make a simple reservation. Then, upon arrival, they did not have my reservation. I left and went elsewhere. The people who work here do not know what client service. They're also just awful, horrible people. Do not ever stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travelgal588

Travelers are raving about these Ollantaytambo hotels

El Cerrito, California
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights here on our way to Machu Picchu in May 2012 and enjoyed the lodge. It was well situated, had a better than average breakfast for hostels of this sort and the staff was helpful. The rooms were clean and quiet, and there was a lovely courtyard in the center. Staff was really good about storing our luggage for 2 days when we went to Machu Picchu. We would stay here again. Also there was a sitting room with 2 couches right outside our bedroom that was very comfortable for reading and provided privacy.

Room Tip: We were in the back of the lodge where it was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Venice, California, United States
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I spent a single, horrendous night at the lodge. I am a 25 year old male with fairly modest hotel expectations, but this place was horrible. This hotel was (shockingly) recommended to me by my Inca Trail tour company. The people at the front desk were terribly rude and so unaccommodating that I actually felt a bit unsafe. Since it was late, and there were packs of wild dogs roaming the street outside this awful property, I decided to just stick it out for a single night.

The room was infested with spiders and had a view of a junk yard. In the morning, breakfast was composed of rotten cheese, stale bread, and empty bowls that were never filled marked "pancakes" and "scrambled eggs."

Overall, I would never ever ever go here again, and recommend that my fellow travelers avoid it whenever possible.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dak G
Northumberland
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed here as part of a tour when visiting Machu Picchu. We must have had about 12 rooms all together for our group and there were definitely mixed feelings about the place.
Personally my room was ok...VERY basic, old beds which squeeked every time you turned over and the only plug was in the bathroom, BUT my room was clean.
Others were not so lucky. My friend who was staying in another room send me a txt in the middle of the night saying "This is the most VILE, disgusting place I have ever stayed in my entire life" She had a room infested with bugs!
Probably not somewhere I'd stay again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank misspink34
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed here as a part of a tour. I was our favorite part of the trip. The room consist two rooms connected by a small sitting area. This was perfect as we were traveling with our three small children. The breakfasts were great, there was plenty of hot water and the views were amazing. The kids will never forget the hotelndog, Robbie. Thank you so much for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We enjoyed our stay in this lodge, convenient for visiting the ruins and town with lovely views of the surrounding mountains. Room adequate and equipped well enough. It was spoiled though in a number of ways by a surly receptionist, dogs running in and out of the kitchen, dog muck left festering on door mat by our bedroom, staff too ignorant to pick it up and the final sting in the tail when we changed our plans and decided not to return a few days later still charged the room to our account.

• Stayed July 2010