“Best hostel in Peru”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
New York City, New York
“Best hostel in Peru”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

By far, this was the best place to stay in all of Peru. Finally a clean, hot shower with pressure, clean beds and rooms. Very friendly hosts that can even give you a to-go breakfast in the morning for Machu Picchu. Very cheap prices. Highly recommended!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SCM84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I was there few months ago and I could't find a better place to stay like this La Casa del Abuelo, the owner are very friendly we can talk like older friends... the food was excellent!! Henry is a very good chef... delicious food!! the location is close everywhere...the room nice and clean..for sure the next time I will stop by again!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
Reviewed February 3, 2014

It´s a lovely little place, close to the plaza and the owners are extremely friendly and helpful.

I found the room to be a bit cold and I was given an extra blanket.

I also found there wasn´t quite enough hot water for me to wash my hair and shower.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I couldn't recommend this place more. Catty and Henry, the owners, were incredibly hospitable and kind. We were treated like family, to the point where, it became a bit sad to leave. Our original plan was to only stay two nights but because we enjoyed Ollantaytambo so much and felt right at home here with Catty and Henry we ended up staying four nights. Our first night Catty brought healing tea to my girlfriend when she was sick. The rooms were great: comfortable beds, hot water, towels, soap, good light. Breakfast was good as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Casa del Abuelo was absolutely the perfect place to spend my first week in Peru. The owners, Catty and Henry, were exceptionally astute in hospitality and treated me as family, personally showing me around the quaint town of Ollantaytambo and greater Sacred Valley area. The hostal itself is really more of a bed and breakfast, with a cute three-floor atrium and cozy rooms with hot showers and comfortable beds. Breakfast was delicious and the building is fitted with WiFi access. The personalized attention I received during my stay has made it the most memorable and rewarding experience so far in my 5 month trip. Casa del Abuelo is truly a hidden gem in the Sacred Valley of Peru.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Camden
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I loved my visit to Ollantaytambo and my stay with Katie and Henry. They were incredibly gracious and welcoming and helpful. I was there on Christmas day and they invited me to eat a traditional dinner with them, which was incredibly generous and kind. I was always greeted not only with a smile, but an inquiry into my day and my travels. It really felt like I was with dear friends. Thank you Katie and Henry! I highly recommend this hotel while visiting Ollantay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kate M
canada
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We ended up bookending our trip to Machu Picchu with 2 nights here total. The owners, Henry and Catti, are very friendly and helpful. They did our laundry and had it ready for us after we returned from our 1 night stay in Aguas Calientes. The rooms were clean and the beds seem new with tons of blankets and fresh towels. There is a view of the ruins from the laundry area upstairs and probably from some rooms. The breakfast was included because we booked on booking.com. We had fresh papaya juice, instant coffee, scrambled (or fried) eggs and bread and jam for breakfast every morning. Henry also plays a great selection of music at breakfast. Since we were waiting for a night train to Aguas Calientes they kept our bags for us and let us hang out in the lounge area downstairs and gave us hot water to make coca tea after we had visited the ruins and walked around town. On our last morning there, they booked a taxi for us to visit the ruins of Moray and the salt flats in Maras on our way back to Cusco. Our room on the 1st floor corner near the street seemed to have a sewer leak since the bathroom smelt a bit funny. Our friends had no problem with their bathroom in the room next door. The only other thing I would change would be to have prices listed in both soles and USD on the booking.com website or at the hotel intself, since prices were listed in USD and the exchange rate used to calculate our room fees by our hostess at the end of our stay was 2.9 when the going rate for us around Peru has been 2.8. But this listing of prices in USD and inflation of the conversion rate seems to be a problem in many places around Peru.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends