“A real delight - clean, peaceful and comfortable”
Review of Apu Lodge

Apu Lodge
Ranked #3 of 33 Ollantaytambo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We recently returned from 10 days in Peru. We were fortunate enough to spend 3 nights at the Apu Lodge. It was our favorite accomodations of the trip. WE found the location to be wonderful - good views, in town but away from the hub-bub of the town central. Louise, the innkeeper, could not have been more accomodating and the fact that she spoke English was appreciated. The hotel is new, clean and very comfortable. It is simple and very peaceful. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2009

I arrived at the Apu Lodge after a very long 24 hours that included witnessing some of the strikes going on in Peru. Exhausted and weary after such events, I found myself in the very caring and friendly hands of the staff of the Apu. Louise was so helpful in making the arrangements for my stay and even helping to assure that once I did get off the bus that my taxi was there waiting.

The cab ride into Ollantaytambo was breath taking and the hotel itself was a treat - hot showers and stunning views. The train station is walking distance to hop aboard the train to Machu Picchu and the Ollantaytambo ruins that are just above the hotel are a site to see themself. I would return to visit the Apu without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Set at the end of a long cobblestone laneway, this accommodation was peaceful and away from the hustle and bustle of the town square. The view of the main ruins is incredible and there are ruins accessible just behind and above the hotel. Breakfast was more than ample with delicious muesli and home made jam. The accommodation is recently built and very clean, although not very soundproof. Louise, our hostess, was most helpful in every way, organising transport and suggesting a fantastic restaurant, KB Hostal.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I absolutely loved staying here. The owners were wonderful and hospitable. She gave great advice and recommendations for things to visit and how to get there based on my budget and level of comfort traveling. The rooms are spacious, and I loved the duvets. You know they are clean and warm and yet light weight. One person mentioned the rooms are cold, but I did not stay a single place in all of South America that had heaters and it was winter; I felt the duvets were sufficient. I am sure had I had any complaints (which I did not) they would have made every effort to resolve them. I was actually sick one day and came down well after breakfast hours. She made me tea and breakfast anyway. Emails are responded to promptly and if you have traveled in South America, you know this isn't always the case. It is just only a few minutes walk from the square so you are close enough to get to things but just enough out of the way that you don't hear anything! About 10-15 min walk to the train to Machu Picchu. If I ever go to Peru again I would arrange my trip so I could stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
ontheroadagain1Uk, owner at Apu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2009

Thanks for your review, great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. Like you say winter can be a little cold at night in the mountains here, but the duvets on the beds help alot and we have now bought a small bar heater that guests can use for a small additional charge to cover electricity (I would love to provide it for free but it isnt budgeted into our very good value prices for this year). If it proves popular I will get more. I also got a hot water bottle since your visit that I can provide for free on request. And extra blankets, including extra duvets when we arent full.

Reviewed July 21, 2009

what can i say, this place has all the charm of somewhere twice the price and the owner Louise is one of the best hosts we had throughout our travels in South America. not only did she let us keep our bags at the hotel when we went to M.P but she kept it in our room and let as keep the key! it is not out of the way as some might make you belive but it is at the end of a very quiet and charming little street only a minuet walk to the center of ollytaytambo (a very small town) and does have the feeling of being a million miles from anywhere, the rolling hills are on one side and the spectacular ruins of the sacred valley are viewed from your window. the hotel is just new but is charming and well equipped. breakfast is one of the best we had, with everything you could want in healthy serves with tea or coffee and fresh juice. Louise really helped us with what to do and where to go and having a English speaking host in Peru is rear but I'm sure it is a real find in a small town such as ollytaytambo. it is well worth the stay and I'm sure in months to come it will be very hard to get a room i for one would stay nowhere but here if i were to return!!!! thanks so much for all the memory and we will never forget this little piece of paradise you have a little gem on your hads and we wish you the best of luck.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I have spent many nights on many visits in Ollanytaytambo but none as comfortable, quiet and memorable as that in the Apu Lodge. First i like family owned and operated places and this is no exception.
the location is perfect.. far away from the other hotels with the only birds eye view of the ruins. I felt like i had found a little hidden gem in town.
the rooms are clean and pretty. the real kicker is the shower! you will not find a better in all of Peru with strong pressure and loads of hot water. and the beds were heavenly.. real down comforters with excellent firm mattresses and gorgeus sheets.
I spent three nights here as I just couldnt bear to leave. Make sure to spend at least two.. the town is worth it but the lodge is as well.
thanks Louise.. for a great visit.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank laughingotter
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We stayed here for a night in June and thought it was a cute hotel. We woke up during sunrise and went outside- the view was amazing! The lodge is surrounded by mountains and the ruins are visible. The walk to the hotel is so peaceful- a little stream runs by and flowers are found along the path. The owners of the place are amazing! They made us feel so comfortable, gave us so much good advice, and spoke English. Breakfast was good. The room was large and clean. I liked the fact that there were hammocks outside each room. My only complaint would be the fact out room had a few spiders in it, but I don’t think that is a big deal unless you have a fear like I do. Our room was cold but under the blankets it was OK. I also think this place will be a real gem in a few months. I thought it was good considering how new it is.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
ontheroadagain1Uk, owner at Apu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2009

Thanks for your review and I am sorry that you were so unlucky as to have a couple of spiders in your room. We dont have many but being in a peaceful rural location they come in occasionally. We want people to enjoy their stay at Apu Lodge as much as possible and so I hope any future guests would come and tell us so we could remove the spider.