“What a wonderful stay!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Florida
“What a wonderful stay!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband, I, my step daughter and my mother in law stayed at Apu Lodge for 3 nights in May, in two rooms. We couldn't have had a more beautiful experience of the Peruvian Sierra! We first stayed 5 nights in Lima, and we had previously decided that staying in the city of Ollantaytambo would be the best way to go to visit the nearby attractions and particularly, Machu Picchu, since Ollantaytambo - where Apu Lodge is located - is so much closer than the city of Cusco. We couldn't have been happier staying at Apu Lodge. Since before our arrival Louise made sure via email that I had all the info that I needed to organize my trip. I never use a travel agent and although the Machu Picchu and train websites were a pain in my neck when I was trying to book tickets, I ended up doing it all without glitches. Furthermore, if anybody out there needs any help with those websites, just drop me a note and I'll be happy to help you in whatever I can.
I booked our transfer from the Cusco airport to Apu Lodge through Louise, and our driver was waiting for us upon arrival. I had also booked a tour on the way to the hotel to give us a chance to stretch our legs, I chose the Circles of Moray and the salt ponds of Salineras and both tours were awesome! the Circles of Moray was a lab and wow all the info that our guide gave us was absolutely mind blowing! He was also very knowledgeable about native plants and their medicinal uses and my stepdaughter who is a midwife enjoyed very much learning about all this stuff. Particularly the bit about these plants that he showed us and that are used as a type of pitocin to induce labor. Amazing!
We also stopped for lunch at a buffet restaurant that serves type of nouveau native cuisine, I mean they were using quinoa, kiwicha and other local ingredients to make new dishes but still mainting the traditional flavors. They had lots of vegetarian dishes so my hubby was happy, and for the rest of us they also had exquisite dishes. Everything at this restaurant was soooo good! I don't know the name but I am sure that Louise does, ask her for the info, you will not regret it!
When we arrived our rooms were ready and checking in was a breeze. You will have to treck about a couple of blocks but we didn't mind walking on those ancient cobbled stone streets, even my mom in law who is over 80 years old was fine, and we all live in flat Florida, so you know it is not a hard walk to the hotel.
The next day we had breakfast and it was so good, with eggs made to order, fresh fruit, juices, hot drinks, juices, yogurt, cereal, milk, etc. and my fave: a granola made with native grains, it was so yummy!
There are lots of restaurants of all types and also shops to keep you entertained, but of course the highlight of the trip were the archaeological sites. They are sprinkled all over the area and many are free of charge, you just hike up and go visit and take pictures. Like Pinkuylluna - which is a demanding hike and there are no tour guides around, you just go through the gate and start climbing the mountain to the Inca granaries. I didn't make it all the way up because I chickened out at the sight of the steep lanes but my step daughter did without a problem.
Of course, going to Machu Picchu from the city of Ollantaytambo is the way to go! the train ride is much shorter and this train station is smaller and I imagine not as crowded as the main train station in the city of Cusco.
We didn't have any problems with noise, but we ALWAYS carry earplugs when we travel. And the beds were very comfy so we slept like angels. Particularly after walking and exploring all day long, at night you just feel like crashing lol
All in all, our stay at Apu Lodge was wonderful and we would really want to go back and just stay here relaxing for a few days in the near future. You do feel like you are living in a National Geographic special, the sights are breathtaking, the food is delicious and everybody is so welcoming and friendly. It was a beautiful experience I highly recommend Apu Lodge to anybody wanting to experience life in a Peruvian Andean village.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank babykatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

This place is beautifully located, and rooms are very nice. The staff was helpful and friendly except for one very important exception: there was a cat at the hotel premises (kept there as we could see a water bowl) that was crying all night long. Unfortunately the staff did not undertake any action. We left the room a few times and the cat would either walk away or be quiet for a while. At one point that little break of cat crying gave us a chance to fall alseep.

The next morning we left very early. The staff and been very friendly and left breakfast for us. However the bread included in the breakfast was not edible as it was way too stale. The very first time we had bread in Peru that was not great. Even on multi day hikes through the mountains the bread stayed fresh enough to eat. If we had to guess the bread tasted like it was 4 days old.

The stay could have been very enjoyable as the lodge and location are beautiful, and we even enjoyed the walk through the cobbled alley.

• Stayed July 2012
ontheroadagain1Uk, Propietario at Apu Lodge, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thanks for your review, I am glad that you liked Apu Lodge so much and very sorry that your sleep was disturbed. We do not have a cat or any other pets at the Lodge but do have occasional visits from neighbouring cats and I expect one of them must have been on heat and causing a disturbance. I live on site but have not been aware of this problem. We are in such a quiet spot on a pedestrian street that usually it is very peaceful at night so I am sorry you were unlucky on the night in question. Apologies also for the bread. We do buy fresh bread every day for our guests but it is cooked in a wood-fire oven and is not always consistently soft like factory bread, so sometimes by the next day for guests who leave very early, before the baker is open, it may be a little dry. Thanks for passing on your comments so we can improve our service for future guests.
Toronto
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Apu Lodge is in a beautiful part of Ollantaytambo, housed in the original Incan quarter at the end of a cobbled street. Friendly and helpful, Louise offered great advise for our family (2 kids age 15, 13) and we're especially grateful that she organized a day trip with lunch to Patacancha, a small town in the nearby mountains. The garden is lovely and the beds are comfy, and we were steps away from one of the ruins.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TorontoSuzie
toronto
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We spent two nights here while visiting Ollantaytambo. We loved our stay. The hotel arranged a driver ( Roni who is excellent ) who picked us up from the Cusco airport, and showed us Pisac, Maras, Monay and Salinas on our way to Apu lodge. The hotel is well maintained and professionally serviced. Our room was basic, but comfortable. The breakfast was great. The surrondings were beautiful. We had great hikes to the ruins both days. Louise and her staff are very nice people. Thank you Apu lodge for your kind hospitality.
We recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Sacred Valley.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and five sons (yes, 5 sons - ages 13, 11, 8 and 6 year-old twins) stayed at the Apu Lodge for a total of 3 nights in June 2012. We had two rooms, a family room (with 1 double bed and 2 single beds) and a triple room (with a double and single bed). My brother-in-law traveled with us and stayed in a single room.

The lodge is on a pedestrian-only, cobblestone street just off the central plaza of Ollantaytambo. The location is quiet and secluded, but still close to everything in town (it was a 5-10 minute walk to the ruins and most restaurants). The lodge has lovely, well-maintained grounds, with a couple of hammocks, which were a big hit for our boys. There was plenty of room for our boys to run and play without disturbing the other guests.

Our rooms very very clean, with comfortable beds and bathrooms. They were on the second floor and had great views of the ruins and the town. The rooms were simply furnished and decorated, and had ample storage and a nightstand that locked. We had plenty of hot water, blankets and linens. Breakfast consisted of yogurt, granola, fruit, bread and scrambled eggs. It was delicious and plentiful. The wifi connection worked well (including making internet calls).

The staff was extraordinarily helpful and gracious. They were great with our boys and made us feel at ease. They arranged our transportation and stored some our luggage when we went to Machu Picchu. We greatly appreciated their kindness, advice and patience. We would recommend the Apu Lodge without reservation, particularly for families.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Greg L
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Ollantaytambo was a real highlight of our stay in the Sacred Valley, and Apu Lodge was an ideal base. Carlos and Louise and the rest of the staff were lovely and helpful, and we enjoyed talking to them and the other travellers in the lodge. Wifi was only available in dining area, but this did mean we got to meet other people. We also used Alberto as a guide, at short notice, and we found him very good and knowledgeable. We left our bags here while we went to Machu Picchu.
We would love to have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Canfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed here for 2 night and loved every minute of our stay in Ollantaytambo. The staff were very helpful, recommending a local guide Alberto for our visit to the ruins, well worth it as he was a fountain of knowledge! Also organising a driver (Roni) to take us back to Cusco via Pisac.
The real bargain of our stay was having some clothes washed at 5 soles the bundle(much needed after a dusty visit to the ruins!)
This was an ideal place to stay and the views were fantastic.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple