“Incredible”

Book In Advance
More Info
$64.00*
and up
Full-Day Sacred Valley Tour Including Buffet...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed in Urubamba for 6 days, and my first day I went to Ollantaytambo. We paid a woman, 50 soles and she walked with us for like 2 hours explaining the history of this incredible place. I would say it is a must when you go to Cusco/Urubamba. I would recommend going to Ollantaytambo 2 days before you go to Machu Picchu because it is tough, you have to walk a lot but it is beautiful. There's a fee for this attraction but you can buy a ticket that includes Salinas de Maras, Moray, Chinchero and Ollantaytambo for 70 soles, and you have 2 days to visit those places. It's worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,631)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"worth the effort"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Like so many others, we stopped here on our way to Machu Picchu, and I'm really glad we did. This place is a great introduction to the Incan buildings before getting to Machu Picchu, and better yet, its spectacularly beautiful. The ruins are easy to climb to the top of, even with the altitude, and they provide a very special view of the valley. Look around and you'll see other ruins perched precariously on adjacent mountains, and know you're somewhere special.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The temple ruins of Ollantaytambo is normally the last stop before you proceed onwards to Machu Picchu and is a prelude to what you will finally see at Machu Picchu and the architecture is just as amazing, I suppose most of us envisage Machu Picchu as the pinnacle of Inca building owing to its secluded location. But we found the ruins at Ollantaytambo to be almost as magnificent. It was actually a harder climb than what we found in Machu Picchu! The terrace steps were imposing and the views were quite amazing from the top especially when you looked across to what appeared to be granaries and dwellings craved into neighbouring cliff faces. A pity we did not have more time explore these cliff ruins as well. We visited in March 2012.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I spent the day at Ollantaytambo on our way out to Machu Picchu, and enjoyed the stop immensely. The ruins are excellently maintained, and beautiful from all angles.

There is a main section that you will see when you enter, but if you follow a trail around the side of the mountain, you will find two additional sections of ruins. These are not quite as majestic as the main portion, but have interesting details and we found them to be significantly less crowded than the primary peak. We ended up walking around this section and relaxing on the terraces for hours.