“Our introduction to Peru”

Archaeological Park Ollantaytambo
Full-Day Sacred Valley Tour Including Buffet Lunch from Cusco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed November 17, 2011

What an introduction to Peru! I have one very important piece of advice...pay whatever the ladies want at the market and purchase the metal walking poles that have the antishock feature. They will become your "best friend" over the next couple of weeks as you explore the many Inca sites Peru has to offer. I was fortunate enough to ecounter a local man who was also climbing the Ruins at Ollantaytambo and he filled me in on the facinating history of these ruins as we spend hours walking and climbing up and around them.

1  Thank Kalm55
Write a ReviewReviews (4,485)

Reviewed October 18, 2011

These ruins span along a mountain and are beautiful to look at.
Unlike other mayan ruins, these ones keep going upwards along the mountain, where as most will span across a flat surface.
There are a lot of steps and requires time to access and get to the top. I don't recommend going during the middle of the day as it can get hot, and at night there are mosquitos.

1  Thank Agent226
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The ruins were the view from my hotel room and on my last day in Ollantaytambo, I finally visited them. I had a great guide, Alberto, whom I met at the ruins. He was very informative and I had plenty of time to explore. There is something fascinating about the Bath of the Princess - the fountain turns on and off!

1  Thank BeenthereNC
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Nice ruins, easy to get around. Well worth visiting. Ollantaytambo is a very interesting town.

1  Thank ERDFirefighter
Reviewed October 13, 2011

It is not only the largest occupied settlements in the Americas but is is also imposing. My guide said we will walk to the top and take our time. You need about 2 hours to do it right.
Everyone who walked it encouraged the next person that they could make it.
A great 360 degree view was well worth it!!

1  Thank Magictravelnow