2,026 results
All reviews organic farm train platform pachamanca lunch train noise sacred valley eucalyptus sauna wendy weeks alpaca steak great restaurant brownie balcony room convenient location in town beautiful garden taking the train early train trip to machu picchu
Selected filters
Reviewed August 28, 2016

It first started w the FaceTime call from JULIA STECK the SALES MANAGER at EL ALBERGUE. She took my desires for our vacation and made it into our 7DAY PERU ITINERARY REALITY! I felt so relieved after talking to her knowing that our vacation had just been planned by a local and expert! She made may job so easy. I was also able to get in touch w her to secure our itinerary as the date got closer. OVERALL... It was a dream come true and because of Julias help our Vacation turned out better than I ever expected!

We flew Miami to Lima and overnighted at the Wyndham Airport. We then flew from Lima to Cusco the following morning. Julia had arranged for Edwin to meet us at the airport and taxi us to Ollantaytambo after a brief stop for money exchange. After our
"easy" check in. Julia had arranged for us to have a farm lunch (Pachamanca) and tour at EL ALBERGUE. THIS IS A MUST! We had never heard of a PACHAMANCA. It was an educational experience along w the romantic setting and yummy food. We then walked to the nearby ruins (buying the 10 day peru pass). Then walking into the quant town of OLLANTAYTAMBO. We had dinner reservations at the hotel which uses the foods grown on property. We reserved suite 12 which had everything we needed including the view of the snow capped mountains...just lovely...After a good night sleep and hot shower...we got our boxed breakfast and lunch as prepared by the hotel and off to Manchu Picchu. We were immediately greeted by our guide Paul who was able to show us the maneuvers to get the bus tickets and form the line. He was the key to exploring MP. He was so knowledgable of the history and was able to make the most of the time spent. We were hanging on his every word. We then went on to climb Huayna Picchu. This was a challenge w the altitude and terrain. We were exhausted by the time w finished and relaxed in Aguas Calientes prior to our train ride back to hotel. We arrived back to El Alberque for dinner, drinks and a full moon. W sadness of heart it was time for us to pack up and move on to our next adventure in the morning.

Julia planned our entire trip even though we were not staying at her location for the remainder of our peru vacation.She even helped us in getting "Paul" for an additional day tour.
I would Only stay at El Alberque for your trip to MP. I would ask for Paul your entire time! Allow Julia to set up your Itinerary w taxis, guides and local suggestions. Watch the hotel video on the history of the hotel and how the vision of this family has made El Alberque a way of life...
Thanks to Julia, Paul, Edwin and all the staff at El Alberque for making our Peru Vacation a memory we will never forget.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank keys4life2015
Reviewed August 28, 2016

This is a charming hotel, right at the train tracks. Although our room was just above the train tracks, we didn't have a problem with the noise. The restaurant at the hotel was wonderful. It was also a fairly easy walk up to the ruins and market square.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2016

We stayed at El Albergue while visiting Ollantaytambo. We only stayed one night as we needed to catch an early train the next morning to start our walk on the Inca Trail. This hotel is literally right on the train platform (more about that later). In fact when you check in, you need to pass through train security and explain that you are staying at El Albergue so they let you through the gates without a ticket (or show your room key- that works too). The staff is very friendly. The rooms are lovely. The one we stayed in was very big on the second floor, had a wooden floor (a barnlike feel), 3 beds, some wooden furniture and a bathroom. We could see the garden from our window and the mountains were right out our door. They provide you with a few litres of purified water and some fruit from their farm for free (yes they have a farm!)
Breakfast is included with your stay as well, and this was one of the best we had while exploring Cusco. It is in their restaurant and all food comes direct from their farm and garden. We had dinner in the restaurant as well. This wasn't included but well worth it- everything is delicious!
The hotel also boasts a eucalyptus sauna that you must reserve an hour ahead of time. We considered it but were too exhausted from exploring the ruins to do anything but shower and sleep.
The sleep was good- comfy beds and somehow I didn't hear the train at all! They leave you earplugs just in case. The only reason I gave this place 4 stars is because it is a bit of a walk from town. As I said, we had to catch a train in the AM so for us it made sense and it is a lovely, friendly and delicious place to stay in Ollantaytambo.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2016

Loved my stay in the Peru. The hotel helped organize day trips for me with experienced guides. When I felt under the weather they brought me tea and toast to my room. I was well taken care of while traveling solo. I plan to return with my family.

Room tip: Reserve early.
Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2016

Comfortable and convenient inn at the gateway for the Sacred Valley. The staff were very kind and attentive when I had altitude sickness. A tranquil location that's so close to the town and rail station - a nice oasis! The room was comfortable and fine for a 1-2 night stay.

Date of stay: July 2016