If you want a cookie cutter tourist hotel where every room is identical and there are no surprises, this is not your kind of place. El Alberge is a wonderfully unique spot with only 16 rooms around a lush garden with cats and hummingbirds hiding from guests (until the evening when a cat will find you for your warm lap if you are sitting outside.) Our two nights were wonderful. It was my favorite of the half dozen hotels we stayed in around Peru.
It is rustic but very well maintained. Our room was a little chilly at night but there was a portable heater as well as a cozy bed. The restaurant is small with a limited menu but excellent all the same. (Tacu tacu for breakfast. Yum) The coffee shop right on the tracks is a great place for a snack. The staff is gracious and helpful. The main part of town is a 5 minute walk or a super quick and cheap mototaxi ride away. There is a small market just outside the train station gates with plenty of decent food and touristy stuff, as well.
And when it comes time to catch your train, you are literally right there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Ollantaytambo train station, El Albergue is only one train stop away from Machu Picchu and not far from many interesting attractions. El Albergue dates back to 1925 and maintains the charm and elegance of the early 20th century while offering modern day requirements such as free high speed internet and in-room telephones. Owned by artist Wendy Weeks, this hotel has beautiful gardens, delicious food and special attention to decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your El Albergue Ollantaytambo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Hotel Ollantaytambo
- El Albergue Ollantaytambo Peru - Sacred Valley