“Little paradise, worth every cent!”

El Albergue Ollantaytambo
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed there for 3 nights in November 2013. November is a great time to travel, we had brilliant weather, and there were no crowds, but not empty either.
El Albergue is among the most expensive places in the area, but it is totally justified. A lot of places in Ollantaytambo are more like hostels with a private room, quite basic really. Forget about free shampoo/hairdryer/phone/room service.
This place is more like a boutique hotel. Very good facilities, incl. free WIFI.
It is literally outside the train station, but very quiet. Handy for Machu Pichu, crawl out of bed and you are on the train. The views of the surrounding mountains are stunning. They also have an organic garden which they will be happy to show you. In fact there are exotic flowers, avocada trees and humming birds all around you. Photos on website are realistic.
It is 10 min walk from the village square. You might want to go there once, especially if you visit the ruins. Otherwise being a bit apart is not a problem, since there are no bars in town anyway, and restaurants close early. Taxis are cheap.
The best restaurant of all my stay was in Albergue! Amazing food, follow the advice of staff regarding the steak. Great wine, and we got a complimentary surprise since it was a special occasion.
It is a very romantic place, recommended for a honeymoon or any other special occasion.
Also family friendly, and suitable for solo travellers. Go for a room with a balcony. It's worth it for the view! We had a huge room, loved the architecture, and the space. It had proper furniture, such as a wardrobe, table, little couch, chairs. Bed was huge and comfortable. There were fresh flowers in the room. Most places we visited in the Sacred Valley only have a bed and maybe a bedside locker, no other furniture/equipment of any kind.
The staff were very helpful and genuinely friendly. Breakfast was tasty, cooked to order and very healthy. You could spend a whole day there, just sitting in the garden, enjoying the views or read a book. It is very clean too.
It is worth the extra money, and remember they put a service charge on top of the bill (10%).
I would recommend this place wholeheartedly, for the location, the service, and quite simply the beauty of it! I would also recommend Sacred Valley, stay there minimum 2 nights, better 5 nights, there is so much to do! I spent 2 weeks in Peru, half of that time in the Sacred Valley, and did not regret it. El Albergue will stay in my mind forever!

Room Tip: go for one with a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eateria
Write a ReviewReviews (1,687)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Thanks to TA reviews we spent three nights here before and after MP trek. We really enjoyed our stay and the intentions of the management/owners. We only stayed in newer section with nicer rooms so I cannot speak to the other rooms.

Location- it is the train station in the traditional sense of the word (you cannot buy tix there). That was very convenient for trip to MP and they held our extra bags. I loved sitting in the coffee shop next to train platform watching people come and go, it was like something from a movie. Chatting with those about to board while drinking tea and reading a book. It is not far from town but make sure that staff shows you the back route into town rather than walking up the main drag with lots of traffic and buses. Need a headlamp at night. Train noise was not an issue from our room in the back.

Food- the restaurant was excellent. I would have been happy eating there every night except for the Peruvian harp player who seemed to play the same song over and over. The adjacent organic farm provides the ingredients for meals. The veggie anti pasta appetizer was my fave but had several good dishes. They even had an excellent Argentinian malbec buy the glass that was cheap. Best food that we had in Ollanta, that is for sure.

Rooms- Room 16 is best in my opinion, second floor and looks out to farm, seems very private. They are planning 9 more rooms in the next year. This is not a fancy hotel, the rooms have a nice and simple rustic quality with fewer but nice furnishings. It has sense of place but do not want to create impression that you are staying at 4 star resort, it is not. More real than most 4 stars though.

Little things that I appreciated-- games in lobby, guitar, book exchange, bring your own water bottle and fill it for 1 sole instead of adding to the plastic bottle problem, even had battery recycling and umbrellas. The garden courtyard is verdant and abundant. Nice walking through it to get to room.

Farm- ask the manager to give you a tour, they are proud of it and for good reason. It will make you enjoy the food even more. For a splurge you can sign up for a leisurely multi-course lunch served at the farm.

Thanks again to all of the reviewers who led us to this property.

Room Tip: #16, great views and privacy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soprisorbust
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Don't let the location at the train station dissuade you from staying here. We spent 5 nights total in this hotel and enjoyed every minute. The rooms are large with a rustic flavor -wood beams etc, and are comfortable with all the conveniences. The view from our rooms (15 and 16) was great and we were close to everything we wanted to see and do. The staff, from the moment of booking, were efficient and friendly, making our stay even more enjoyable. The restaurant on site was fantastic- we ate there every night, it was that good. Thanks for a great time in Ollanta.

Room Tip: 15 and 16 are upstairs and look over the valley to the snowcapped mountains.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Celtie14
Reviewed January 17, 2014

What a surprise and wonderful experience we had at this hotel. We arrived from Puno late at night and our driver drove along the road to the train station and said we will walk the rest of the way...your hotel is "in" int train station. We had been travelling 13 hours, so I assumed it was going to be a "minor" hotel, but it was OK, since we needed to sleep.

Wow, what a beautiful and comfortable hotel it was. We stayed in 8 hotels during our stay in Peru and none came close to the comfort, beauty and wonderful food we had there. As we discovered, Wendy Weeks, an American painter from Seattle is the owner. My hat if off to you! You are an amazing hotelier.

Thank you for the wonderful experience.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We loved this small , rustic hotel and our charming little room (3x beds and minute bathroom) looking out onto the train station. We leaned out of the window like school children watching the trains go by and were fascinated by the variety of people passing by. From the first e-mail to the very last , I got an excellent service and very good advise from Sergio.They omit to service our room (lost key) , but when we mentioned it to Sergio , the service charge was immediately deducted from our bill. The restaurant is convenient and the food is average. We have fond memories of this hotel and I will recommend it as the best stopover to Machu Picchu!

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the train-station - it has a fabulous vibe!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I planned this trip and selected this location 6 months before my visit after hearing about it from friends and reading about it in Lonely Planet. Sergio answered my first email with such enthusiasm and willingness to help not only with the room bookings but with other activities that I knew it would be a great experience. We had just come off a dive trip to the Galapagos and needed to store gear before leaving for Aguas Calientes -- All this was accommodated perfectly. The location is ideal especially for folks who want easy access to the train and also to the local sites. We ended up eating all our meals in the restaurant, each with different selections, and of local specialties, each beautifully prepared. My room was in the front but I kept the windows closed and did not hear the train noise. Others with me were in the back and never heard a thing. Sergio immediately understood exactly what we were looking for - good value, attention to tourism plans - he recommended a guide who we ended up using for 2 days, organized a pick up at the airport in Cusco and a drive through Chincero. We had planned to do the farm lunch but the rain was so severe that it was cancelled, we understand it is special. I would highly recommend El Albergue for folks who want the flavor of the area in a space that is comfortable and clean with basic amenities and one that offers a very welcoming and cheerful and helpful environment.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the train tracks do hear train noise. The garden rooms are very quiet. All the ro...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol A
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Loved it! I can't say enough good about this hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean, tastefully decorated -- Beautiful and so comfortable! The best night's sleep I had the entire trip. It's such a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere (which is hard to believe being right across from the train station). My kids LOVED playing with the bunnies in the garden. They also showed us their organic farm. My husband was concerned about there not being a tv in the rooms, but the farm experience kept us entertained. Loved the garden. A very relaxing and enjoyable experience. We also loved the restaurant. The food was incredible. All of my kids (and they can be picky!) loved their food (dinner and breakfast). All around great! We wish we would have stayed another night!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family