“Lovely oasis at a train station”

El Albergue Ollantaytambo
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Don't let the location at the train station dissuade you from staying here. We spent 5 nights total in this hotel and enjoyed every minute. The rooms are large with a rustic flavor -wood beams etc, and are comfortable with all the conveniences. The view from our rooms (15 and 16) was great and we were close to everything we wanted to see and do. The staff, from the moment of booking, were efficient and friendly, making our stay even more enjoyable. The restaurant on site was fantastic- we ate there every night, it was that good. Thanks for a great time in Ollanta.

Room Tip: 15 and 16 are upstairs and look over the valley to the snowcapped mountains.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Celtie14
There are newer reviews for El Albergue Ollantaytambo

Reviewed January 17, 2014

What a surprise and wonderful experience we had at this hotel. We arrived from Puno late at night and our driver drove along the road to the train station and said we will walk the rest of the way...your hotel is "in" int train station. We had been travelling 13 hours, so I assumed it was going to be a "minor" hotel, but it was OK, since we needed to sleep.

Wow, what a beautiful and comfortable hotel it was. We stayed in 8 hotels during our stay in Peru and none came close to the comfort, beauty and wonderful food we had there. As we discovered, Wendy Weeks, an American painter from Seattle is the owner. My hat if off to you! You are an amazing hotelier.

Thank you for the wonderful experience.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We loved this small , rustic hotel and our charming little room (3x beds and minute bathroom) looking out onto the train station. We leaned out of the window like school children watching the trains go by and were fascinated by the variety of people passing by. From the first e-mail to the very last , I got an excellent service and very good advise from Sergio.They omit to service our room (lost key) , but when we mentioned it to Sergio , the service charge was immediately deducted from our bill. The restaurant is convenient and the food is average. We have fond memories of this hotel and I will recommend it as the best stopover to Machu Picchu!

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the train-station - it has a fabulous vibe!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I planned this trip and selected this location 6 months before my visit after hearing about it from friends and reading about it in Lonely Planet. Sergio answered my first email with such enthusiasm and willingness to help not only with the room bookings but with other activities that I knew it would be a great experience. We had just come off a dive trip to the Galapagos and needed to store gear before leaving for Aguas Calientes -- All this was accommodated perfectly. The location is ideal especially for folks who want easy access to the train and also to the local sites. We ended up eating all our meals in the restaurant, each with different selections, and of local specialties, each beautifully prepared. My room was in the front but I kept the windows closed and did not hear the train noise. Others with me were in the back and never heard a thing. Sergio immediately understood exactly what we were looking for - good value, attention to tourism plans - he recommended a guide who we ended up using for 2 days, organized a pick up at the airport in Cusco and a drive through Chincero. We had planned to do the farm lunch but the rain was so severe that it was cancelled, we understand it is special. I would highly recommend El Albergue for folks who want the flavor of the area in a space that is comfortable and clean with basic amenities and one that offers a very welcoming and cheerful and helpful environment.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the train tracks do hear train noise. The garden rooms are very quiet. All the ro...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol A
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Loved it! I can't say enough good about this hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean, tastefully decorated -- Beautiful and so comfortable! The best night's sleep I had the entire trip. It's such a beautiful and relaxing atmosphere (which is hard to believe being right across from the train station). My kids LOVED playing with the bunnies in the garden. They also showed us their organic farm. My husband was concerned about there not being a tv in the rooms, but the farm experience kept us entertained. Loved the garden. A very relaxing and enjoyable experience. We also loved the restaurant. The food was incredible. All of my kids (and they can be picky!) loved their food (dinner and breakfast). All around great! We wish we would have stayed another night!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Shaulee C
Reviewed January 6, 2014

In my years of traveling, I have never taken the time to write a review/critique about a hotel. But my experience at El Albergue was so terrible that I was compelled to come and write about it to warn others and get the owners of this hotel to pay attention to its staff.

We arrived on new years eve exhausted after an 18-hour long day: our train from Aguas Calientes was unfortunately delayed and we were stuck on the train for 5 hours. This of course, was not the hotel's fault. But when we finally arrived to the hotel at about 10:30pm, we found out from an unfriendly receptionist that the hotel's restaurant was closed and that "sorry ALL the restaurants in town are closed because of New Years" – very unhelpful advice to extremely hungry and tired guests.

We checked into a freezing bedroom, and found several spiders and bugs on the walls (granted, we understand there is a big farm outside so this didn't bother us as much). But then the water took a long time to warm up and it didn't drain properly – resulting in a big foot of freezing water at the bottom of the shower.

We went to request a different room, and after the receptionist verified that our complaints were legitimate we were thankfully upgraded to a balcony room. At this point an hour or so passed and we were frustrated and still hungry and tired.

Determined to find food, we began to walk towards town in the cold (about a 10-15 minute walk) and thankfully found a couple of pizza places that were open. Finally, we returned to the hotel again by foot – to find out the front door was CLOSED. We knocked for about 5 minutes and tried to get the receptionist's attention without success. It was freezing outside, so we barged our way in (thankfully the door was locked with just a string). To our surprise, we found the receptionist sleeping on the bench in the lobby. We let him continue to sleep and proceeded to our room.

When I checked out the following morning, the receptionist wanted to charge me a typical extra service fee and also to use a different exchange rate (2.85 instead of the actual rate at that time of of 2.79) – a "Ollantaytambo" rate that is different from Cusco. I immediately expressed my frustrations about the entire experience at this hotel and refused to pay this service fee as well as the "Ollantaytambo" rate. Initially, the receptionist became very defensive and tried to excuse the hotel and make me feel like I was being unreasonable. He said that:

1) We got upgraded to a much more expensive room and that it's not the hotel's fault that we were late
2) The hotel doesn't want to make any recommendations to restaurants that might cause clients to get sick

I explained to him that my family also used to own a hotel and that we always went out of our way to help our guests. I would have appreciated if the hotel showed some compassion that we arrived late on new years and would have at least tried to call one or two restaurants in town to see if they were open (and as a miraculous bonus page a taxi for us so we wouldn't have to walk). We are not familiar with the town like the hotel is! Even better – I would suggest that hotels like this (with a gourmet restaurant) that are located far from town would have some food for purchase in the room or sandwiches for sale, especially on holidays. There were other guests from our train who also arrived late and were also asking about the food. Besides, one of the reasons we booked with this hotel in the first place was because of the restaurant.

When I explained to the receptionist that the guy was sleeping when we arrived late, he finally calmed his tone and apologized. He took off 10% and expressed his sincere apology.

I was incredibly frustrated to waste my new years at El Albergue and this was very sad to me – because I was very excited to come to this hotel since my friend recommended it. I was surprised because this hotel got a lot of positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Probably it's because the owner was out of town. But let me tell you one thing – don't come to this hotel hungry on a holiday. In hindsight, I wish I came back straight to Cusco, where there are so many more cheap and better options, friendly staffs and lots of open restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank buamdexterous
Christian_Arteaga, Manager at El Albergue Ollantaytambo, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Mr. Buamdexterous

My name is Christian Arteaga and I am the Resident Manager at El Albergue Ollantaytambo, I read your comments on tripadvisor and I would like to apologize for the bad experience during their stay in Ollantaytambo. I have been collecting information regarding incidents that night , first I have to apologize if you felt that our receptionist was not a good host, we have always received excellent feedback from the work of Sergio and have surprised with your comments .

Regarding our services , unfortunately we don´t have restaurant service beyond 9:00 PM , that day we were flexible enough to extend our service to 10:00 PM due to the train delays that night, we could not extend this schedule longer considering that we also work with individuals and families and was also a special day for them. When you arrived was more than 10:30 PM and we didn’t have staff at the kitchen at the time, the server in the restaurant at that time talked with a menber of your crew and explained to him that we just got ham & cheese sandwiches at that time and he also explained to him that there where some restaurants openned in town for been New Year's eve. We didn't give and straight direction of where to go because at that time not even us knew which restaurants can be openned in town. We also couldn’t offer you a taxi, there are not taxi services in Ollantaytambo, it would have been a pleasure to do it, but this service is not available in general in the whole village , these were unfortunately things we could not really provide and I hope you understand the features and limitations of Ollantaytambo as a destination.

Regarding your room , I appreciate the understanding for some gnats that can be especially in the garden rooms as the one you had reserved . We are in a rural area and even having straight cleaning policies, sometimes is just unavoidable keep all these little bugs completely out of the hotel. I could see that the room also seemed cold for you, well we are in the rainy season and it is normal a drop on the temperature at this time throughout all the Andean region. For this reason all our rooms have heaters , if you felt that one was not enough you could asked at reception for an additional heater to be installed in your room. I was also surprised that you have not found hot water in your room, the more efficient water system we have in the first floor room , luckily we had rooms available and we could give a you nice balcony room .

Regarding the receptionist found asleep, my sincere apologies , we are taking the respective disciplinary action on this person because it is not an attitude of service and response to our guests, we again ask our deepest apologies for this.

I have a couple of comments on your check out also . Indeed in Peru and in most countries there is a charge of 10 % additional for services, our hotel is no different , however I have understood by our receptionist that this charge was not made effective for your discomfort and additionally we gave you another 10% discount, total 20%. Referring to currency exchange rates , hotels and companies reserve the right to sell foreign currency at a differentiated rate as this represents an additional guest service, like many other things this is an option , you were not forced to take this alternative , You could have gone to a currency exchange house and make your payment without feeling the difference that we charge for been an additional service. To make me understand a Little, this would be like the telephone service , a hotel usually charges a higher rate even for local calls because it is a service option that the customer can take or leave.

Again I ask my Deep apologies for the situations that were experienced and were our responsibility , we are taking your suggestions and comments to improve our processes and provide a better service. I hope we can have the opportunity to reverse this experience if at any time you return to Ollantaytambo.

We attempt to satisfy the needs of all of our clients to the best of our abilities, we are sorry that this is not always possible but hope that you understand we tried our best.

Christian

Reviewed January 6, 2014

This Inn is located within a short walking distance from downtown Ollantaytambo. It is a little deceptive at first trying to find it. You have to go outside the gait leading the to train station. The Inn is located upstairs and behind the train station. I found this to be unique. Our room had three single beds with enough towels and drinking glasses for the three of us. Also the windows in the room do not have screens, but there did not seem to be any issues with bugs. The decorations are what seemed to be authentic Peruvian.
On the backside of the Inn, in their courtyard is a beautiful garden. There was the large tree with large white drooping flowers. Also in the courtyard were several cats. I was informed to not pet them because they are known to bite people. In the morning the sunrise was beautiful coming up over the peaks around you. Also just on the one side of the Inn and train station is the river adding the calming sounds of the water. I found this to be a very picturesque place to stay.
The only disappointing thing is the sounds of the train. Depending on the room you are in and if you are a light sleeper it could make a difference. I would say this was probably one of my favorite places to stay on our 10 day trip.

Room Tip: Do not pet the cats :( because they might turn on you.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jcrumley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ollantaytambo
Pakaritampu Hotel
#3 of 21 in Ollantaytambo
Tierra Viva Machu Picchu
Tierra Viva Machu Picchu
#2 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to El Albergue Ollantaytambo? Share your experiences!