El Albergue Ollantaytambo
  • Breakfast included
Hostel Andenes(Ollantaytambo)
  • Breakfast included
1,793 results
All reviewsorganic farmtrain platformpachamanca lunchtrain noisesacred valleyeucalyptus saunaalpaca steakgreat restaurantbrowniebalcony roomconvenient locationtaking the trainin towntrip to machu picchubeautiful gardenpancakesearly train
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful surroundings and gardens. Huge rooms.Great restaurant serving organic produce from their own farm. Wonderful atmosphere.Even the box lunch to take to machu picchu was perfect. Couldn't ask for better.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived at the dinner hour and enjoyed a lovely meal in the hotel dining room. Our room was quite pleasant, but we were shocked to discover that there was no hot water. We had been out in the cold and rain for most of the day and were really looking forward to a hot bath. We immediately contacted the front desk. They sent someone to investigate; he did nothing, but told us to try again in 20 minutes; still no hot water. I finally gave up and went to bed, but my husband kept persisting. After several trips to the front desk (and little action on their part), they finally gave him the key to another room where he could shower. Fortunately, by morning the water was working, so I was able to shower in the room. Apparently, they have solar heat and need to switch to electric on cloudy, overcast days. Someone had forgotten to do this. I can understand this error happening; what we can't understand is why it took them so long to figure this out. We really got the impression that they just wanted us to give up and go to bed.
They did offer to compensate us for the cost of our dinner, but when they learned that we had paid in cash, they dropped the offer.

The rooms are surrounded by a lovely garden and I wish we had had more time to enjoy this beautiful hotel. It is nicely located by the train station (we didn't hear much noise from the trains in our room). I'm sure that if we had had hot water, I would be writing a much more positive review.

Room Tip: Make sure you have hot water!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a lovely hotel right by the train you take to Aguas Calientes which is where you take the bus to Machu Picchu. I had great reservations that it was going to be noisy due to the train but it was not at all. The rooms are on the back of the building. You walk through lovely gardens to get to them. Our room was spotless with great linens.

The restaurant was excellent at breakfast. We enjoyed our dinner but the service was not very good. It was slow and the waiter was a bit grumpy. In the evenings there is a harpist who plays and sings. It was lovely and I wish they sold cd's of the music.

One negative - this hotel is down a steep hill a bit away from the core of the town. So if you want to have dinner, see the Inca ruins, etc. you have a walk. Though it is a great excuse to use one of the many, inexpensive motorcycle taxis.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is a great hotel. My girlfriend and I stayed here 5 nights and loved the place. What a comfortable place to come back to after a hard day of touring in the Sacred Valley. We had a very comfortable room with a big bed and heated bathroom floor. The garden is lovely and filled with birds including the largest humming bird on the planet. Because the hotel is adjacent to the railroad tracks (no problem with noise), the train trip to and from Machu Picchu was very easy. The staff, especially Sergio, was great. Very friendly and very helpful with all our many questions. I would go back to the El Albergue in a minute. It's a classic place. Don't forget to take the path from the garden into town. It goes right by the ruins and avoids all the auto traffic.

Room Tip: Go for rooms in the garden.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed three nights in Olleyentymbo because the location is great.1) elevation intermediate so there was less chance for "sorochi" 2) The town is quaint and quiet. 3) It is centrally located for visiting the many agricultural sites. We chose ElAlbergue for the price and recommendation of the travel agent.
The office staff were excellent, speaking English and Spanish as needed. They explained thebreakfast arrangements and the Wi Ri and took the bags to the room. I was a little nervous about how they were dragged over the cobble stones because suitcase wheels are a limiting factor on bag function. I wheeled my own to check out. The office staff was willing to exchange dollars and helpful when dealing with "issues". The lobby is 1 yard off the train station and has bottled water for sale, refill your container for 1sol.(36cents). The reading room off the lobby was a cozy friendly space to meet other guests read and relax.
We were shown to room #7 which is not facing the train station, on an upper level, has a small balcony with table and rustic hide seat. The room was big two beds,twin and queen with two desks but No place to unpack or hang anything up. Really could have a coat rack at least. There was room for a dresser or something. The heater and the soft wonderful duvet kept us quite warm. The bed was a harder mattress than I am used to but I found it comfortable.
The issues were all related to housekeeping. We had to ask for faceclothes every day. They left the lock off the door so the room was unsecured all day. We had used the safe. The left a damp cleaning rag on our open suitcase.
the restaurant was excellent. 5 star in choices,taste and staff.
we neglected to leave time to visit the organic farm,one regret.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends