“Nice place to stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is excellent place to stay in Sacred Valley before and after visit of Machu Picchu. Room was clean and comfortable.Staff is very helpful. If you need transportation from Cuzco or tickets for MP they arrange that too. Eduardo, 22 years old driver took me to all locations of Sacred Valley for reasonable price. Very professional and always smiling attitude. Thank you Virginia. Food in the restaurant was amazing. It was a really enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Room number 15 was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Traveller4everer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
California
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised about how nice this hotel is. I was a little concerned about staying here because it is at the train station. I don't mean near the train station, I mean at the train station! The front door is the train station platform. Trains start passing by at 5:00 am and I was sure I would be woken up by them. Maybe I was very tired, but I did not hear a thing till I was supposed to wake up at 8:00 am. The rooms are nice sized and the courtyard pleasant. I tried the sauna and it was a nice way to sweat off some weight. I also ate dinner here. I looked around town and I thought the El Albergue restaurant seemed like the best place to eat. It was not fancy but the food was well prepared and tasty. This hotel is not a 5 star luxury hotel but it was a nice place to spend a night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
notdeadyet1
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was hesitant to book El Albergue because of its location at the train station, but it was as quiet and peaceful as hoped. The staff were attentive and helpful from the moment of arrival, allowing we weary travelers to check-in early to our rooms. The rooms were basic but clean and comfortable. The courtyard was absolutely stunning, with chairs and hammocks and shade and a pervasive sweet smell of flowers. The location was perfect, as it was just a stroll out of the main part of town, close enough to be in the middle of everything in a matter of minutes, but enough distance that you felt removed and relaxed. The bar and restaurant were amazing (a great introduction to Pisco Sours), not cheap but worth the money. I couldn't recommend this place highly enough, it turned a stopover in Ollantaytambo into one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 11, 2012

By now you have read the reviews highly regarding this hotel. I can only add my voice to the many wonderful things that folks have said about El Albergue Ollantaytambo. I chose this hotel after reading these very reviews and I am so happy that I did. My wife and I made a trip to Peru specifically to visit Machu Picchu for our wedding anniversary and spent two nights here. We took the train from here to MP. From the start, Natalia at the hotel was helpful in every aspect of arranging our stay. She had a van waiting for us when we arrived in Cusco, and we were delighted by the driver and his wife. Because it is a little complicated to buy the entry tickets for the park outside of Peru, Natalia arranged to get them at a small additional price which I was happy to pay! Imagine traveling all that way and not getting in. The hotel could be an end destination in itself! Very romantic setting in the restaurant with the live Andean harp music. Wonderful rooms, great staff, great food (including the Pachamanca lunch - highly recommended!). Don't miss this one!

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs in the back and slept like babies!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We spent four days at El Albergue and are very pleased with the experience.

Highlights: Pachamanca lunch, help provided by Natalia, and Breakfasts + Dinner at the hotel's restaurant.

The garden is beautiful, the bucolic setting is restful, and the town itself is very clean and charming. If you love trains, you will be in heaven.

The quality of service and food is very high. We have great memories of time spent there.

Room Tip: Room 16 has view of the glacier (Mt Veronica) at the front and the corn field on one side. Also had...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The garden and decor of the hotel is very pleasing. Fun place to stay with friends and family. Rooms are decent size but very clean. Bathrooms could have been a bit bigger. Cafe El Mayu is part of this hotel, so food was excellent. The view out of their large windows is very beautiful - with green mountains and river right below and train tracks in the front.

Train station is right outside the cafe. Made it very convenient for us to get on the train to Machu Pichu.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Long Beach, California
Reviewed December 3, 2012

El Albergue felt like a mini resort. Once you walk through the doors, you're welcomed by friendly staff and you immediately forget that right outside the doors is a train station. The layout of the hotel is beautiful, with amazing gardens throughout, and a running stream. It really is very peaceful. Our room was towards the back and was really large and roomy, with all the necessary amenities. The bathroom was nice and the beds were comfortable. We really enjoyed just being on the property as you can tell and feel how well taken care of it is. The kitchen stuff was amazingly friendly and was always happy to store anything for us in their (milk for our daughter, etc.). The food was fresh and delicious. We definately recommend staying here over places in Cusco or Aguas Callientes. The train ride to Machu Picchu was perfect, about an hour and 45 minutes each way, and it was so easy to just walk out the door and jump on the train.

The train noise wasn't too bad, especially if you plan to be up early to catch the train to Machu Picchu. I recommend staying towards the back to avoid any train noise. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back are more quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dannya76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ollantaytambo
La Casa del Abuelo
#3 of 20 in Ollantaytambo
Tierra Viva Machu Picchu
Tierra Viva Machu Picchu
#2 of 24 in Aguas Calientes

Been to El Albergue Ollantaytambo? Share your experiences!