“Good experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We needed to store our bags here the night before our stay. We stopped in, and they allowed us to use their open area to transfer some clothes and items from our suitcases to our backpacks before storing them. When we arrived the following night, everything was safe and secure in our suitcases. Our room was quite spacious! We didn't get to spend a lot of time here, but noticed a cute courtyard. Good location, several restaurants and a market just outside. Convenient straight stretch to the train station.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The only issue I experienced here was the breakfast quality. Compared with the other hotels I stayed in Peru, breakfast was subpar. Coffee not particularly drinkable, eggs cold, very few choices overall.
However, the hotel exceeded any expectations outside of the breakfast issue. Location is perfect - 2 min walk to the main square, 5-10 min walk to the train station and right across the Ollanto inca ruins (had the view of the ruins from the window). My room had a balcony, my friends room had a larger balcony where we chilled one evening with a bottle of wine.
Service is excellent, very welcoming. Front desk personnel spoke English is needed, gave recommendations and directions.
Rooms - large, wooden floors. There is a river that you can hear even if balcony door is closed right next to the hotel, so earplugs would be essential if staying in the rooms facing the river/ruins. Didnt bother either me or my friends.
Bed comfortable. Shower - fine, gets quite humid there.
Wifi - worked throughout the hotel except my friends balcony.
Would definitely recommend this hotel. For good coffee there are coffee shops on main plaza as well as one right across the street from the hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 4865853
Palo Alto, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

My travel: I arrived here via taxi from Cusco, stayed one day then went to Aguascalientes and stayed there to spend 4 days in Machu Picchu. I then came back and stayed one more day here as I reversed by trip.

Very friendly front desk staff. Clean room and very close to some cool ruins. The train tracks is a short walk away (which does feel long if you have a lot of stuff with you). I did have a problem with ants in the room the first time I was there but they took care of that by the time I returned. They were more than happy to help me by reserving a taxi to pick me up at the Cusco airport and take me to the hotel in Ollantaytambo (1.5hr+ drive; $50 USD), as well as a taxi back and a tour in Machu Picchu. They also stored my large backpack while I took just a small pack with me to Machu Picchu. (NOTE: Most trains to Machu Picchu have a small pack/5Kg limit of luggage per person... but many people ignore that rule.)

Recommendations: Don't book a Machu Picchu tour through them, just get a guide at the entrance to Machu Picchu. Much cheaper that way and many of them there who speak English and Spanish. The taxis were good if you plan on spending a night in Ollyantaytambo going to/from Machu Picchu otherwise when I returned to Ollyantaytambo from Machu Picchu there were many taxi drivers waiting at the train exit to take folks to Cusco.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Blase I
Jupiter, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is a hotel that is close to the train station and overlooks the ruins and is right next to a river, so you get the soothing sound of running water in your room. It is very basic and spartan. There was no television and the internet only worked sparodically. The breakfast was vey minimal and the whole place is not heated. The bed creaked lowdly every time we made any movement. I recommend you stay on the second floor because the floors are very creaky and you can hear every step of the person above you. I suppose that being in such an out-of-the way place this is as good as you can expect?

Room Tip: Don't stay on ground floor unless you are a very heavy sleeper.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our Family of 4 spent one night here, below is an copy of the thank you letter we sent.

After 15 days away we think back & say that our stay with you was the best of our trip.
We loved everything; the comfy beds, great room, endless café & tea, stunning views, delicious breakfast , great location & friendly helpful staff. Ollantaytambo is a lovely small town

Joanne Palme & family
Australia

Room Tip: we paid $10 extra to enjoy lovely views from our bedroom window
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

In general, this is a really nice hotel in a great location straight up the road from the train station. On our first night, we were on the ground level room with ruins view and I'm wondering if we were below the dining room because in the morning, the sounds of foot traffic and things sliding across the floor was really loud. Thankfully we had earplugs. On the second night, for the same price, we had a room upstairs (203) with a ruins view and it was much nicer - a little balcony and very quiet. Great hot water in both rooms, and although there was no heater in the rooms (we were there in July in the cold season) it was warm enough. Staff was really friendly and helpful but one warning: It was very expensive to book any taxi or transport through them. Better to just go to the square and flag someone down for a fraction of the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

What a little gem of a hotel! Friendly and extremely helpful staff, comfortable rooms with good sized bathrooms. This hotel has a very nice vibe about it. We had a room with a view of the ruins and spent the late afternoon sitting on the balcony with a drink enjoying the changing light on the mountains and ruins. Only a few minutes up the street is the main square with loads of restaurants and shops for any last minute hiking needs. Breakfast the next morning was located in a room with views of the mountains and ruins, cereals, fruit, bread, ham,cheese and eggs with the usual very ordinary hotel breakfast coffee so tea is probably a better choice.

Room Tip: Choose a room with views of the ruins.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple