“One of the best hotels i've stayed after travelling to 48 countries!!”
Review of Hotel Sol

Hotel Sol
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Ollantaytambo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Ok, so these guys really know how to run a hotel and put their customers first. My wife and I stayed for 4 days after coming back from Maccu Pichu. The rooms are a good price and the quality is excellent for the price. They organised a great guide for us to do a specific walk we wanted up to 4000m in the mountains, it all went very well. The breakfast is good. The bar is good. The people are great. It worked well with out little one (age 2) and would be good for singles too.

If you stay in any hotel in Ollay ... stay in this one.

Ashley + Cindy + Scott

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river, if you like a view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank x_HappyTravels_x
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sol

Reviewed July 3, 2012

While there was nothing terribly wrong with this hotel, I expected more based on the other reviews here. Let me start by saying the rooms are clean and basic, and the location is great. There are no TVs, but the great view of the ruins makes up for that.

That being said, we werent impressed with the staff. The guy at the front desk sort of seemed annoyed by our arrival and didnt really have anything to offer in terms of maps, things to do, suggestions, etc. The woman there the next morning didn't speak any English (i can't really fault her for that - it is Peru) so she wasn't able to help much either.

There are no clocks in the room and we were coming directly from the inca trail without any electronics or even a watch (my boyfriend's broke). So we asked for a 7:30 wake-up call... it never happened. I couldnt beleive that! What a terrible situation that could have been if we had had a tour, or a flight, or anything we needed to get to!

Finally, the breakfast was ok. The bread was stale, but they did make eggs. And one more thing: don't count on using their shampoo! It was clearly watered down to the point of being useless. My guess is they just refill half used bottles with water and put that back in the rooms. Not exactly great.

All in all - average, but not deserving of #2 on trip advisor.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kayla T
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We took a family room with a small balcony overlooking the creek and the ruins at Ollantaymbo. The room and bathroom were spacious and well equipped, and done in a cheerful colour, adding to the Peruvian ambience. The lobby, landing and dining areas have a lovely open feeling about them. The breakfast was great, though both mornings several guests were eating at one time, and the waiter got very busy hauling food and dishes up the steps from the kitchen - we had to be patient and persist in asking for top ups on fruit and hot water in the self service jug. There is a central tea-making facility on the landing, but the water wasn't kept hot. The adjoining restaurant did good food in a nice intimate space, but you're only a short stroll from the restaurants in the square, and the market is just over the bridge. Staff were very helpful, all in all a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ranui T
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Spent four nights. Great hotel. Terrific location with view of Ollantaytambo.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LarrywashingtonDC
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My two young daughters and I enjoyed the three nights we stayed here. It is basic and clean, with balconies that overlook a stream and an Incan ruin. The staff is friendly and helpful, finding us horses to rent and arranging a little mototaxi tour around town. Breakfasts were just OK. If you're after peace, tranquility, safety and beauty, this is a great little hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony over the stream and looking onto the ruins.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank marla0218
Reviewed June 19, 2012

In May of 2012, my son and I spent three nights at the Hotel Sol while in between mountain treks. We had a great stay there! In my view, the hotel has the best location in town: on the main street, a short walk equidistant from the town square and the main ruins, and near to the best restaurants in town. Every time I walked into the hotel, I felt as if I were entering a quiet, beautiful sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of the street. A small courtyard in the center of the hotel contains gorgeous flowering plants. An inviting sitting area on the second floor is stocked at all times with complimentary hot water and teabags. Our large, clean room on the second floor had delightfully warm and comfortable double beds and overlooked the most significant of Ollantaytambo's well-preserved Inca ruins. From our balcony, we also enjoyed a view of the small river that flows just outside and we often kept our balcony door open so we could hear the sound of the river. A filling breakfast of coffee, tea, juice, bread, preserves, cheese and pancakes or eggs cooked to order was served in a very pretty breakfast room. I agree with another reviewer that the preserves served with the breakfast were noticeably delicious. The best thing about the Hotel Sol, though, is its staff. The members of the hotel staff met us with a smile at every encounter. They are extremely friendly, conscientious and helpful. They arranged our pick-up from the airport in Cuzco by an excellent driver in a safe, new car. We were at the hotel on Mother's Day and one staff member dialed the phone again and again during the day until finally successfully reaching my mother and my wife, a difficult task when everyone in Peru was calling mom, too! On the advice of the proprietor, Lluc, and with a map he provided, my son and I took a hike one afternoon to the ruins at Pumamarca. The Inca and pre-Inca terraces we passed on the way were incredible. I very highly recommend spending more than one night in Ollantaytambo at the Hotel Sol.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank William H
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed here in October of 2011 and this hotel is very clean and the staff couldn’t be any more friendly if I ever get back to this part of the world I will come home to the Hotel sol,

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family