“No hot water”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“No hot water”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and after a long day I wanted to take a HOT shower. As the instructions said, I let the water run for a few minutes. . . the water never got hot. Even after 10 minutes, the water never got hot.
After I had take my clothes off, It would be difficult for me to complain to the staff and to change rooms. . .we also checkout really early so there was no one to tell about our experience.

Other minor details that may or may not be important to you
- no TV in the room
- Wi-fi didn't work
- at times there was no one at the front desk.
- There was also some weird mixup in the room I booked

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, right beside a beautiful rushing river, just over the bridge from the Ollantaytambo Incan site, surrounded by some of the town's best restaurants, and a short walk to the train station. We had a family room (2 double beds and a queen), which was spacious and very comfortable, with great beds and duvets, and a nice balcony with a view of the river. Great hot shower, simple but good breakfast. A very pleasant internal courtyard. The staff was friendly and helpful. A great, comfortable place to stay in Ollanta.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side, as the buses are loud. The rushing river is also loud, but provides...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The staff here is the best! Located in central Ollanta, very near the ruins and about a 10 minute walk to the train station. Near several very good restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side, preferably the second floor, but the first floor is fine,too.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were moved from the Hostal Iskay to Hotel Sol by the owner, Lluc, after our disappointment with Hostal Iskay (unclean, no warm water, skylights the make it light in the room all night). We were charged the same amount for a night's room in Hotel Sol as we would have been in Iskay given our disappointing experience. We were surprised to see the room rates for Hotel Sol, as we thought the room was fine, but definitely not worth what the hotel was charging. Overall, after a trip around the main tourist destinations in Peru from Cusco, to Aguas Calientes, to Puno, to Arequipa, we'd have to say this hotel seemed not to be very good value for money. It was simply average. Further to this, after our Peru trip was complete, I was emailed by a staff person from Hotel Sol asking for payment which they said they hadn't received. I had paid in cash to a woman at the front desk with several witnesses and was disappointed they would think I would leave without paying, especially after all of the issues we had faced. It showed their level of disorganization. If you go to Hotel Sol or Iskay (I certainly do not recommend either), make sure you get a receipt after your stay as proof. I was not provided one here, which I normally get at hotels, and it meant I didn't have written proof. The staff later wrote to apologize for their internal mistake, but it was still a demonstration of the lack of organization of the business.

My review is as follows:
Location:Central, although on a noisy street but rooms all face side or back so not too bad; across from Hearts Cafe and 1 block from Plaza de Armas; 7 minute walk from PeruRail station
Public Areas: Well manicured inner courtyard, nice music played (Amelie soundtrack), average overall decor
Staff: Attentive, friendly, but not on the ball as they thought I hadn't paid for the room and ended up emailing later to ask for me to pay.
Room:Room lacked character but was large, clean. Balcony with views to Ollantaytambo ruins. Felt extremely expensive for what it was. Would not stay here again.
Noise: quiet (except river)
Breakfast: not included (should have been included in price)
Value: overly expensive. Owner really needs to improve professionality of service of staff, or make sure he is around to supervise.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank BoldNomads
Akron, OH
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in February, and found everything about it perfect. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the single room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Plenty of hot water in a clean bathroom, and the room was quiet. Great location, being just minutes from either the main plaza, or the ruins of Ollantaytambo. The included breakfast consisted of eggs, bread with jam, fruit, juice and coffee / tea. And the breakfast room is quite attractive. Would stay here again, especially with it being so close to the train line to Machu Picchu.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank randywahoo
Copenhagen
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Ollantaytambo is obviously a very touristy place and we didn't expect to get very good value for money there. We checked out a few hostels but found them too simple. Checked out this hotel and was surprised to find that the price was absolutely reasonable. It is very central and we thought the price would be higher here.
We got a very large room with 3 queen size beds and a bathroom with shower. Everything worked well (toilet, shower, drain etc.) something that you cannot expect in Peru. it was cold and they put a heater in our room.
The room had a window towards the stream and a view over the ruins. It was quiet and sleep quality was very good. Beds and linen was perfect.
The young people working there were all very service minded and smiling and liked to talk. They let us take our motorcycles through their cafe to the back yard, which we really appreciated. They didn't know so much about Machu Picchu or how to get there (train tickets etc.) which is why I don't give them an excellent on service. But they are pretty close.
The breakfast was good and served in the little cafe that's part of the hotel.
The hotel has a little hotel kitten "Blanca" that likes to visit the rooms and hang out with you. While we were here I got a stomach flu and staid in bed 2 days. Blanca stayed with me all the time and made it bearable.
We loved it here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Henriette T
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I am so pleased I chose this hotel for my one night stay in Ollantaytambo and only wished I could have stayed there longer. I had a large room (104) which had a sit out terrace with amazing views of the ruins and comforting sound of the rapids in the river by the hotel. The bed was comfortable and the shower better than others I had experienced on my trip, with shower gel and shampoo provided.

I received a warm welcome from Carlos, who was helpful and courteous throughout my short stay and who gave good restaurant recommendations. My Spanish is limited but he spoke perfect English. The hotel is ideally located, right on the river, views across to the ruins and a 2 minute walk to the main square (if that is important to you). The hotel itself is charming with a nice internal courtyard. The hotel is opposite the road that leads to the train station - no more than a 10 minute walk.

A good breakfast is served on the 2nd floor in a room overlooking the ruins. Wifi was available.

In hindsight I wished I had stayed longer in Ollantaytambo after the hustle and bustle of Cusco. It would make a good base and certainly a nice place to stop and chill for a few days - especially with a room at the Sol with a terrace and chair overlooking the ruins.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel (and Ollantaytambo).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo