“Winn and Wow are Wonderful!”
Review of Casa de Wow!!!

Casa de Wow!!!
Ranked #4 of 29 Ollantaytambo B&B and Inns
Morristown, Tennessee
“Winn and Wow are Wonderful!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This guesthouse, and this town, are, without a doubt, my favorite place in Peru! Many reviewers said you won't want to leave, and in fact Winn has had many travelers extend their stay. We got to know our fellow house guests, more so than anywhere else we stayed, and it felt like we were all a family, albeit temporary. Winn arranged a horseback ride for us, the highlight of our trip! No big touristy group, we were delivered the Paseo horses right at the hostel door! And the guide was a delight! There are so many wonderful things to say about Ollanta and especially Winn, Wow, and Casa de Wow, and just nothing negative! If you get a chance, don't miss this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Mt.Shasta,CA
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Really the best place ever for a long or short term stay. So brilliantly designed with bold fun color and creative function. I felt like I was living in an amazing piece of art! Win is the greatest host EVER! She suggested a treck with a local guide to a less known temple/vista. Wither(Weedar) really provided an experience that I will never forget...the beauty of the hills and meeting with a local Quechua grandma as we headed back to town. This place is a gem! I'm so grateful!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KatHansen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

There are times when you arrive in a new hostal and you just feel immoderately relaxed - this was one of those times. Winn just exudes energy and cheerfulness and goes out of her way to make you feel at home. The rooms are great with the most beautiful beds I have ever seen (I wish I could've snuck one into my backpack), lovely attention to detail with art etc and clean bathrooms. There are also lovely extras like a comfortable homely lounge, kitchen, access to filtered water (nice to hear a 'feel free to fill your water bottle' for a change!) and delicious breakfast. I was so sad we only booked one night. The town and hostal deserved more time!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank CWandEW
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I absolutely loved staying at Casa de Wow! This place is quite charming and Winn was so welcoming. Our room was very clean and breakfast was great. We had hot water and found the sleeping accommodations comfortable We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go (including a walk to the train station) and were pleased with the suggestions of places to visit on the map we found in our room. I highly recommend this place and hope to visit again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Annapolis
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were at Casa de Wow for two nights. Our hosts were attentive and the lodgings were impeccable. The town of Ollantaytambo was without water and electricity because of a big storm and flood that hit the region a few days earlier. It didn't slow up the Casa de Wow operation which was carried out with aplomb. Winn and Wow were both out of town when we arrived, but the staff was very helpful.
So why did I rate the B&B so low?
After going to bed, we heard Wow's dog barking in the common area of the B&B. And barking, and barking and barking --most of the night. At some point, he was let outside, but still barked.
In the morning, we found out that no one from the management was in the hotel the night before -- only guests. They didn't know that the dog was inside, and he got panicky and barked (and barked and barked). We were promised that the dog would "visit with his mommy" down the street for night two.
You guessed it. At 1:30 AM the dog let out a muffled bark from the room below us, but loud enough to wake us up.
We left very early to catch the train. Arrangements were made for a taxi and a lovely "breakfast to go" was prepared for us.

The answer for Casa de Wow!!! is easy. It is either the guests or the dog. Be sure to ask about it.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, ask for a downstairs room, as it is a tight circular stairway to th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Robert M
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Oh my.... so sorry!! I was sick when I heard about this incident upon arriving home after my mini vacation in Cusco. I am sorry i failed to get in touch with y'all personally afterwards as well. At that time I had no idea LomoNegro (our beloved dog friend) had started having anxiety attacks - which seem to correlate to my absences. Now that we know he stays elsewhere if I am gone. Again please accept my apology - you definitely did not receive the normal Casa de Wow!!! experience which boost really good sleep.... y'all got jipped and for that we are happy to refund your payment....please contact me, Winn, at casadewow@gmail.com so we can arrange your refund. Again... so so sorry!!
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I arrived at Casa de Wow for a 1 week stay. I left a month later vowing to return as soon as possible. For me Casa de WOW was a much needed sanctuary filled with warm, welcoming people, great conversations, meditations and the best breakfasts ever. It was the perfect home base from which to hike and explore around town and travel throughout the sacred valley. The rooms at the front have a spectacular view of the ruins and the rooms at the back are large with skylights and private baths. The bed frames are constructed by Wow of tree branches and bring a wonderful rustic feel to the rooms while providing big comfy beds. There is a commons room filled with DVDs and a computer with internet should you decide to just "stay in". And should you decide to go out, Winn can always direct you to the best bars and restaurants in town. Get directions to the best rotisserie chicken in town. There were always interesting people coming and going from Casa de Wow, all willing to share interesting stories, travel tips and photos. For me my month at Casa de Wow was a healing experience but best of all it was just incredibly fun! I know it can be for you as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Great Northwest
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have travelled all over the world, to over 50 countries, and I can honestly say that Casa de Wow! is in the top 3 of hostels/guesthouses we've stayed at. Lovely host Winn gets all the details right- coziness, decor, amenities, hospitality, privacy, and friendliness.

Pluses:
-Free breakfast, with eggs (a rarity in Peru)
-Free filtered water for your canteen
-Free wi-fi
-If you go to Machu Picchu early, Winn will pack up your free breakfast for the train
-Excellent location above the river, right in town
-Excellent location from the train station
-Lovely decor (co-owner Wow handmade the beds & textiles)
-Very comfy beds
-Hot water!!
-Spotlessly clean
-Secure
-Super friendly, welcoming staff
-Use of kitchen if you want
-Cute "crow's nest" in the roof for sitting
-Brilliant use of natural light with skylights in the rooms
-Small and cozy
-Great recs for restaurants and tours

Minuses:
-None. Maybe the crow's nest could seat more than 2, but hey, there are skylights!

Hugely recommend. I would book before it gets mentioned in this year's Lonely Planet Peru edition (2013), and everyone else finds out about it!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple