“one of our favorite places ever.”
Review of Casa de Wow!!!

Casa de Wow!!!
Ranked #5 of 29 Ollantaytambo B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“one of our favorite places ever.”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We've traveled all over the world, and have stayed at many different hostels and hotels...and Casa De Wow!!! stands out as one of our favorites. The reason we loved it so much was their amazing service. From the moment we walked in, we felt like it was a home away from home. Winn was an absolutely wonderful host. The hotel is in a great location, just a bit off the center square, but easily within walking distance of everything. The hotel was super clean, and it had hearty-good breakfasts with eggs and locally made (yummy) bread....and free wi-fi, if you are plugged-in while traveling.

If you are looking for upscale accommodations, then you will want to stay somewhere else. But if you are looking for a comfortable place to stay where you can really get a "feel" for Ollantaytambo, then Casa de Wow!!! is where you should stay. We used the extensive book library, pummeled Winn with questions about the area (she knows a ton!), and got great recommendations about places to eat, and things to do. If you need anything while you are there...just ask! Winn will go out of her way to help you. We stayed 3 nights, and really wished we could have stayed longer...it was hard for us to leave.

*They also offer a great local guide/adventure service, where they will set you up with a guide who can take you to some incredible local places...we absolutely loved our guide, Wither (I hope I'm spelling his name right!).

Room Tip: some of the rooms are along a creek...and the sound at night is lovely!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thanks so much .... We loved having y'all! We'll let Wither know also that he got a great review too!
Great gratitude and hope y'all can come back some day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I was in Peru March 2011. My first stop was Ollantaytambo for the festival. I decided to stay at Casa de Wow because of all the great reviews. Well I was not disappointed! The Hostel was clean and spaciousl. The view from my room was amazing (I had the room with just one bunk bed). When I looked out of the window I had an amazing view of the mountains and the ruins, very beautiful.

The reason I decided to stay at this Hostel was because I was very limited in spanish and I read that Winn spoke english. I arrived and from the moment I got there I felt welcome. They were celebrating a friends birthday and even offered me a piece of cake. Winn took me out during the festivals to see the bull fights (no bulls were harmed) and meet some of her friends. Wow took a few of us into the ruins at night when there was a full moon. Both Winn and Wow went out of their way to ensure that I had an amazing time in Ollantaytambo. If I had any questions or needed any help with transportation Winn helped me.

If I am lucky enough to go back to Ollantaytambo I would stay at Casa de Wow again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
It was great fun hanging out with you... you landed at the right time to enjoy all kinds of special treats. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review... we are grateful. Hope you return someday!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Casa de Wow was truly a home away from home - a sharp contrast to large, impersonal hostels. The rooms were adorably quaint, and the common spaces were comfy. we met a slew of lovely people over breakfast and/or watching movies in the sala. Win, the owner, is a doll, catering to our every request. She knows everyone in town too, and gave us a ton of helpful referrals. I would consider coming back for a long stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thanks so much. Here's to seeing you for an extended stay sometime in the future!:-)
Ecuador
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Casa de Wow were very prompt in their email responses to me, they helpfully arranged a driver to pick me up after a big day on MP, and they do make a big effort to create a homely atmosphere around their kitchen table at breakfast. Unfortunately for me, the actual physical space was very un-wow. The house is perfect for hippie travellers and reminded me of fond times in cramped, communal living quarters. My mother is in her mid 60's however and the formidably tight spiral staircase, the only access to the bedrooms, is a deathtrap for those who are not slender, adolescent or a certfied Hatha yoga instructor. Let alone a person carrying baggage. It was the only experience in all of my mother's time in Peru that she recalls distastefully. We left the next day, paying twice for our mistake.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thanks for your feedback, as always we are grateful to hear from folk. Sorry we weren't the right fit.
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I stayed in Casa de Wow for three nights. My bed was comfortable and the room was inviting and quiet; the bathroom was clean; I found my bed comfortable. Wifi worked in the room. The people were gracious and helpful.

It was a unique and delightful environment that overlooked the ruins. I loved sitting on the bench outside the door day and night, watching the mountains and stars, nodding hello to passerbys, and listening to the creek that runs beneath. There's always some hot tea. Eggs and a locally made white bread are the standard for breakfast--along with good conversation, but there's a great yogurt at Heart's Cafe on the square (along with other great menu items).

I loved staying here. It is a homey, hip place. The water is heated by solar, so you must time your showers accordingly, and it is a narrow squeeze past the bedpost to the bathroom, sometimes laundry is hung inside--but I found all this rather charming.

Ollantaytambo is a wonderful town. I could have stayed much longer! And I would come back to Casa de Wow again and again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback.... and you are welcomed again and again!!
UK
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Good things: staff try to create a homely ambience and give helpful info; eggs and real coffee at breakfast; great location opposite ruins and a bit away from the bustle of the centre; unusual home made bunk beds.

Negatives: showers tepid at best and stone cold sometimes; organisation can be a bit chaotic; beds tend to impale you if you arent careful; room full of flies maybe attracted by odd smell we noticed (?maybe a dead critter since this is the countryside).

Quite a nice place which tends to attract people into 'spiritual' stuff so lots of discussions at breakfast which can be a bit cliquey if you aren't into ayahuasca and processing. If you are, this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2011
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group. I had to look up idiosyncratic just to make sure. :-) Thanks for your feedback. And yes, since Casa de Wow!!! is also our home, Wow and Winn, it is peculiar to us. And we enjoy sharing our home with others.

So you experienced two Ollantaytambo, or rural Peru, phenomenons during your stay. At the beginning of rainy season we have two semi annoying occurances.... as the rivers rise all the flies that have been nesting in the river banks take flight. So for a several week period we have a sudden increase of flies that come to visit looking for a new home.
The second phenomenon is that all the dried animal poop that has been sitting dormant during dry season gets reawakened with the rains and so our normally sweet little village becomes putrid for a short time. And so you got to experience these change of season oddities.
As for the showers - argh!.... we were having troubles with our hot water system and we are so sorry. And we are so pleased to say - that after having the technician out five times! we figured out the problem and all is well.
Thanks again for taking time to give feedback.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2011

We recently stayed 3 nights at Casa de Wow. He had high expectations based on the reviews and ended up being disappointed. A driver was supposed to pick us up at Cusco airport. This was arranged with Winn weeks out and confirmed right before our trip. After waiting for 45 minutes we called Winn and were told that "he must have spaced out" and to grab a taxi. We hardly saw Winn or Wow during our stay. The walls are very thin and the design of the building allows you to hear everything. Our sheets had rips in them. They did not empty our waste container in the bathroom once during our stay. I know that it is an inexpensive place, but these are pretty simple and basic items.

We were helped and provided with good service by Julie (a working house guest) and Ruth. Breakfast was also good. They arranged a driver to take us to Cusco with stops in Moray and Salinas and he was fantastic (cannot recall his name, but it begins with an H).

Overall we were not too impressed and would not stay her again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pugman24
casadewow, Owner at Casa de Wow!!!, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thanks so much for your feedback. And again, we were so sorry for the airport pickup not happening. This was our first time for this sort of goof and we were mortified. Wow and I have created a group called Ollantaytambo Organico - to promote a return to sustainable, organic agriculture here in the village as well as other permaculture practices - and the three days of your stay we were totally engage in a project for OO. We learned alot during this time, for our staff was also involved in the Organic project and we wont let that happen again. We were all abit overwhelmed. And unfortunately, this lead to you not receiving the level of service our guests normally experience. Again, we are very sorry. If you are ever back in the area, we would love for you to give us another chance with a free nights stay. Thanks again for the letting us know.