All reviews private garden inca ruins recommend hostal bread helpful with restaurant suggestions sacred valley eggs hot water machu picchu train station resident cat plastic bottles mp tickets warm blankets bed was comfortable the main square fresh fruit
Reviewed September 9, 2017

This place is a GEM.

The owner (Italian) the best service oriented person in Peru.

Here the facts:
- The entire Hostal is super CLEAN
- Beautiful landscape and views
- GREAT breakfast and please enjoy the organic Coffee
- Good sleeps....and Hot water....a joy
- great quiet location.....although the doors and windows are thin....if people are outside chatting it could be bothersome
- the receptionist (sorry forgot name) from Uruguay...very friendly and helpful

We will be back.....Grazie......Michael and Alexandra (Puerto Rico)

Room Tip: All of them....
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2017

We stayed here after one night after our day at Machu Picchu, and it was wonderful. We stayed in the garden view room. We could see the Ollantayambo ruins from our room. The rooms were built in the Incan living city section, and our room appeared to be a part of that structure. Big, hot shower and comfy bed. No TV but that's okay! Great safe, location. Helpful, friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2017

After climbing some stairs off the side of the road, we were pleasantly surprised by the picturesque gardens at Hostal Iskay. We had a superior room with private garden with views of the Ollantaytambo ruins which was incredibly comfortable and exactly what we needed after long days of hiking. The staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast was pretty good as well (their homemade carrot jam was top notch). The wifi was a bit patchy at times, but that was perhaps the only downside. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2017

I spend a couple of nights there by my self, nice room, small, neat with a very lovely view and good breakfast! For me it is a very good alternative to stay in Ollantaytambo, I will come back for sure in the future.

Room Tip: If you travel solo, the single room is really nice
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2017

I was expecting much more than what we actually received at Hotel Iskay. Following the advice of previous travelers, I booked the larger, isolated room rather than one of the smaller ones in the main house. At $75, it was very much high end for Peruvian standards, especially for a small hotel with limited amenities in a tiny town like Ollantaytambo. The other rooms in the hotel cost only $43, about 40% less. Did we really get that much more value?

Not at all! Our room was poorly equipped and extremely rustic. Only one tiny bar of soap. No heat, although an electric heater was provided to us upon request. Given the cold temperatures and single pane windows, the heater should have been set up in advance. There was only one night table, limited electric outlets, no closet, two hangers to hang up jackets on makeshift hooks, a monstrous spider in the corner that I had to remove, a runny toilet that I had to fix, and just enough hot water for a shower. The curtains on the windows were shabby, and there were none on the front door and nothing to cover the filthy skylights above the beds. So much for sleeping late in the morning.

Outside the room were the chairs described by previous TripAdvisor travelers facing what I admit was a beautiful view of the Inca ruins. But these chairs were for show only. They were simply unsuitable for humans. No comfort whatsoever, and no padding as shown in the TripAdvisor feature photo -- simply a series of wooden bars awkwardly aligned in the form of chairs yet less comfortable than a bed of nails. There was also someone’s bike locked to one of them. I wonder if it belonged to the front desk manager. Either way, this was not the “private” garden we anticipated.

Speaking of which, another aspect of the hotel that turned me off was the welcome or lack thereof. When we arrived, a stoic young man from Uruguay registered us and gave out the single key with as much joy and warmth as a police officer taking fingerprints. Every other hotel in Peru greeted us cordially except Hotel Iskay. I almost felt like we were a bother. My request for a later check-out was denied. So much for paying 70% more than the other guests!

Breakfast was complimentary but atrocious. There was lukewarm porridge that I couldn’t finish, ‘plain’ yogurt that was sweet, and coffee that was weaker than a wet noodle. Fortunately we were able to order eggs from the sad-looking maid.

In sum, Hotel Iskay was a disappointment. Yes, it was well located, quaint, and quiet, but at $75, it was a rip-off. If I were to return, I would definitely downsize and go with the room for $43 and then hope that some other person was on duty at the front desk that day.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple