“Lovely, romantic restaurant.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Albergue Restaurant

El Albergue Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our restaurant and café are open to lodge guests and travelers alike. Café Mayu on the train station platform offers espresso coffee, tea, cookies, brownies, sandwiches and salads. Join us in the restaurant where you will find a full menu for breakfast lunch and dinner. We have created our menu using fresh organic ingredients from our garden and Sacred Valley offering a selection of Peruvian and European flavors. Alpaca steak, fresh salads, homemade fettuccine and fresh trout are a few items available on our menu.
Aurora, Colorado
“Lovely, romantic restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Our hotel staff recommended El Albergue to us. It was a bit tricky to get to: it faced out onto the tracks at the train station and we had to wait while a train from Aguas Calientes emptied out before we were allowed through onto the platform.

We were visiting during the rainy season so the restaurant was pretty quiet. The lighting and dark wood create a very romantic mood, I think. The restaurant prides itself on its use of local and organic produce (IIRC, they have their own little farm). My boyfriend had the alpaca burger (it was ok, but not the best alpaca on the trip); I had one of the specials - a creamy soup flavored with huacatay - and some chicken skewers. The chicken was delicious: tender and cooked to perfection; the soup was good, too. We also had happy hour Pisco Sours (buy one, get one free) so that was nice.

The only thing about this restaurant that was a negative was that it's a bit pricey for the town. Otherwise, it's very nice.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tlowens75

• Korean first
Raleigh
“Fantastic restaurant far away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I wish this restaurant was a little closer to home. Like maybe in the same hemisphere. Ambiance was great with the open kitchen. Smell was awesome. Food was outstanding. My 11 year old boy had alpaca steak which I tried and it was fantastic. It had an elderberry sauce with it which was one of my favorite sauces, ever! Some at the table didn't think the alpaca burger was that great and cited the mixture of alpaca and beef that caused some bites to be good and some not. I had a chicken dish which had Andean mint in it and the flavoring was just right. One of the best chicken dishes I've had. Price when converted back to USD was definitely in line for the quality and ambiance of the restaurant. Honestly, it was great value for the money. I wish I had more time while in Ollantaytambo to eat here more than once.

Visited March 2013
“An organic experience in an inca village”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Every thing prepared in this Resturant is grown in their very own back hard garden, you can explore the garden between 9am & 5pm. Even the flowers on the table is grown in the garden!
We are vegetarians for us the entrees was just a delight.
The back ground live music is perform by a blind Andean he played a string instrument and sang, the back ground music was not intrusive but beautiful and enjoyable.
I found the paintings ugly but once the food is on the table and the music playing in the back ground who is looking at the walls?!
The service is also great!! :)

Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
“Stayed an Extra Day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Who would want to stay at a train station? We did and it was one of the best choices we made. The train activity was minimal. The location fabulous! The food was terrific and the rooms lovely. The people at the front desk were very personable and helpful with dealing with plans that don't always turn out. We cut one day out of visiting Cusco to cover Ollantaytambo more in depth.

Odessa, Ukraine
“Ages Like a Fine Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I first came to Ollanta in 1985 and El Albergue has been part of my stays ever since. I think I have cycled through the current menu a few times and it never fails to please me. The Alpaca steak is amazing but the home grown vegetable salads are equally appetizing (for vegetarians). The rooms are immaculate and their is no issue with the train noise. What little there is makes it quaint. The Randall-Weeks family who owns and operates El Albergue are to be commended for maintaining and appropriately expanding their hotel to ensure a wonderful experience for their guests. I can honestly enthusiastically recommend El Albergue to anyone considering a visit to Ollanta or to Machu Picchu. For me it has become a spiritual home. I'm writing this review while sitting I the restaurant enjoying a Pisco sour and listening to the other guests have a truly wonderful time. This place does not disappoint.