“Weaving Village Tour”

Awamaki
Ranked #1 of 12 Tours in Ollantaytambo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Awamaki creates authentic tourism experiences that connect visitors to the Sacred Valley with the women and artisans in its Quechua communities. We offer village visits to meet our artisans, weaving lessons, language classes, craft workshops and fair trade shopping, all of which benefit Andean women entrepreneurs. As a non-profit, we provide rural women with economic opportunities and skills training so they can earn a living and provide for their families. Our artisans produce contemporary home, gift and accessory items using traditional Andean techniques and organic plant dyes. They welcome visitors to see their communities, learn about their craft, and support their businesses. We’re based in scenic, peaceful Ollantaytambo, centrally located in the Sacred Valley between Cusco and Machu Picchu. We are registered as a non-profit in Peru and a 501(c)(3) in the United States.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My mother and I visited the Patacancha Awamaki supported weaving village. What a wonderful experience! The tour covered blackstrap weaving, dying, designing, and selling of the product. Our Awamaki volunteer guide was well versed in the daily life, health and well-being of the local people and could answer all our questions. We are glad we went and took advantage of our guide's local knowledge of present day people.

6  Thank Destin A
"non profit"
"no pressure to buy"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I posted a topic on tripadvisor about where to do a homestay in Peru and someone recommended Awamaki to us. For $30 USD/night including 3 meals we did a local homestay in Ollantaytambo. My fiance and I were a bit hesitant at first (him way more than me) wondering how awkward it might be to sleep in someone elses home, especially since we really dont speak much Spanish at all. As soon as we met our homestay mom Tina, we immediately felt totally welcomed and at ease with her big kisses and hugs. We stayed at her home only about a block from the Awamaki office, and were given a private room with a locking door, super comfy and clean bed, heater, and even some English books on Machu Picchu and Peru. Her home was a traditional Peruvian home, including free roaming guinea pigs, chickens, dogs and cats. We had a great time playing with her grandson, and talking with her kids that speak a bit of English. We never felt awkward, or that our prescence was an imposition. The food was amazing, and better than we bought in town. I wished that we had a few more days to stay with her. Not only is it a genuine rewarding cultural experience to stay with a local family, but it also helps support the local family-a win win for everyone. I would highly recommend doing a homestay to anyone who wants a genuine local experience. I would have loved to have attended the weaving in Patacancha, hopefully next time!

10  Thank jessndenSouthernAZ
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We signed up for a woodworking workshop with Awamaki in December. There were four of us and we really enjoyed our carving time with Julio! It was one of the highlights of our Peru trip. Julio was enthusiastic and engaging. He talked about his growing up years as he learned the carving trade and about his ancestors and family. It was a window into another world. He introduced his parents and we toured his compound where his brothers do carpentry. I am a woodworker myself, although not a chip carver. I enjoyed the class very much and wished I could continue onto bigger projects. I didn't want it to end. I definitely recommend this workshop, especially if you have some woodworking background.

4  Thank kgrimm3678
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visited the weaving cooperative in Patacancha. We were driven up from Ollantaytambo to Patacancha. An American volunteer accompanied us on the trip and explained the spinning, dying and weaving processes as we watched some of the ladies of the village spin and weave. This is an excellent opportunity to meet some of the Quechua people of the high Andes, in their environment, and experience first-hand how they create their textiles. Equally important, this is an opportunity to purchase directly from the workers, ensuring that they retain all the profits from their hard work. An excellent trip for those who want to gain insight into indigenous cultures, while helping to preserve their way of life.
The trip up took about 45 minutes, as I recall. We stayed at the cooperative for about 1 1/2 hours, then ate a sack lunch (provided by Awamaki) and watched the school children do tumbling exercises on a couple of mattresses for the PE class on the school yard. For our return trip, we arranged to ride mountain bikes back down to the valley. The bikes came up on the roof of the car, and our guide came up in the car with us, and waited while we were at the weaving cooperative. The ride down took around 1.5-2 hours, since we stopped along the way to take pictures.

5  Thank Ahhboo
See more reviews
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This tour was one of the highlights of our trip to Peru. Going high up into the Andes and having the chance to meet some lady weavers was really interesting, even though I couldn't communicate with them because they only speak Quechua. We bought some pieces and I enjoyed learning about the special symbols on each piece of weaving and how unique they are. Also how the dyes are made and we even tried our hand at spinning the wool. Boy, were we bad! The drive up to this village is also very scenic, keep your cameras out! Well worth the price. We also took the cooking class that Awamaki offers, I hope they discontinue that because the woman who runs it, who also runs Pachamama restaurant, is not friendly and it wasn't fun, especially for the $40 it cost. But definitely go to the weaving village, you won't regret it. Oh and I will mention that even though it's a high altitude, there's really no walking involved so we were okay.

3  Thank marlajfish