K'uychi Punku Hostal
$29
$49
Ccapac Inka Ollanta(Ollantaytambo)
$60
All reviewseggsbreadlovely courtyardmachu picchutwo nightssacred valleyruinspillowscollectivoperutaxitraindriver
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The location of the hostel is fantastic, it's right next to the ruins and the market. It was a short walk from the train station, around 10 minutes. The staff were welcoming and friendly, they were happy to answer our questions about restaurants etc. (even with limited English). The rooms were cosy and clean, with lots of Peruvian style blankets to keep warm. There was hot water and a good shower. We even had a view of the ruins from our room window.
Breakfast was fantastic, after weeks of bread and jam for breakfast, we had scrambled eggs, fresh juice, coffee, plus bread and jam. This was a real treat on our travels!
It's so close to the ruins that you can get up early and explore the ruins before all the tourist buses arrive. The ruins ticket is for 24hrs, so you could visit 2 days if possible. A real find for the price, very good value for money!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FranglaisNomadique
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Excellent location, just outside the market and close to the ruins, we didn't have any problems with noise and found the beds to be comfortable and warm. The breakfast was okay, we didn't get any cooked option.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ironian
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I chose this place out of lonely planet for the " 2m thick Inca walls " and the family hotel feel. I got that and more. Hot shower with good water pressure, pleasant room with a view and a courtyard full of flowers, cacti and stone artifacts that were fun to study. They stored my bag, sent out my laundry and remembered who I was when I came back while I was In Machu Picchu. They arranged and set the price ( ten soles less than I haggled for at the airport but I'm only an average haggler )for a taxi to Cusco for me and walked me out to the taxi. A town with a huge turnaround rate like Ollanta can easily become jaded with poor service but this family remains friendly and helpful.
I felt bad that at 04 15 in the morning, with no flashlight, on my way to the train I had to wake them up because it was pitch dark in the lobby and I couldn't get out. They should leave a little night light on to keep everybody happy. Also, grandma doesn't know how to use the visa card machine. I had to use up my emergency dollars on check out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I live in Peru 2 years now. I have been to this hotel twice. Yes, it can get noisy in this hotel. It has a inner court yard and the noise gets to the rooms. But at night, when it is time to sleep, it is quiet. No street noise at least from our room. I know some rooms, you feel like you are taking a shower with the room next door but it is the beauty of Peruvian architecture (or lack of). There are the occasional disrepectful tourist chatting loud who disturbe you.

The owner is lovely, they really try their best to accomodate you. They want to give you good service and will try, which is a plus in Peru.

You can negociate your price and they are very reasonable and honest.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I guess it depends on the room you get. We were really happy with the one we got - we could even see part of the ruins from the window. It was an old Inca house which made it feel even more special. The family were friendly & helpful & I enjoyed the breakfast (I am difficult with my food but loved the scrambled eggs they provided). The hotel was just opposite the market stalls & the ruins.

• Stayed: December 2012