“Nice place”

K'uychi Punku Hostal
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I chose this place out of lonely planet for the " 2m thick Inca walls " and the family hotel feel. I got that and more. Hot shower with good water pressure, pleasant room with a view and a courtyard full of flowers, cacti and stone artifacts that were fun to study. They stored my bag, sent out my laundry and remembered who I was when I came back while I was In Machu Picchu. They arranged and set the price ( ten soles less than I haggled for at the airport but I'm only an average haggler )for a taxi to Cusco for me and walked me out to the taxi. A town with a huge turnaround rate like Ollanta can easily become jaded with poor service but this family remains friendly and helpful.
I felt bad that at 04 15 in the morning, with no flashlight, on my way to the train I had to wake them up because it was pitch dark in the lobby and I couldn't get out. They should leave a little night light on to keep everybody happy. Also, grandma doesn't know how to use the visa card machine. I had to use up my emergency dollars on check out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for K'uychi Punku Hostal

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I live in Peru 2 years now. I have been to this hotel twice. Yes, it can get noisy in this hotel. It has a inner court yard and the noise gets to the rooms. But at night, when it is time to sleep, it is quiet. No street noise at least from our room. I know some rooms, you feel like you are taking a shower with the room next door but it is the beauty of Peruvian architecture (or lack of). There are the occasional disrepectful tourist chatting loud who disturbe you.

The owner is lovely, they really try their best to accomodate you. They want to give you good service and will try, which is a plus in Peru.

You can negociate your price and they are very reasonable and honest.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I guess it depends on the room you get. We were really happy with the one we got - we could even see part of the ruins from the window. It was an old Inca house which made it feel even more special. The family were friendly & helpful & I enjoyed the breakfast (I am difficult with my food but loved the scrambled eggs they provided). The hotel was just opposite the market stalls & the ruins.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Prezzi bassi, sistemazioni confortevoli, una deliziosa famiglia ad accogliervi. E soprattutto la più incantevole receptionist che vi possa capitare di incontrare: Hermelinda, 12 anni, la mattina a scuola (dove è bravissima), pomeriggio e sera ad aiutare i genitori, risolvendo qualunque tipo di problema per gli ospiti. Colazione ottima: da non perdere il succo d'arancia appena fatto, mentre il capofamiglia va a comprare il pane caldo (anche se partite alle 5 del mattino per Machu Picchu). Se lo provate vi innamorate.

Outrageously low price for the most confortable accomodation. Who found bad rooms was definitely unlucky... You will feel really at home, surrounded by all the attentions and cuddles by the nice family who owns the hostel. And you will fall in love with the cute, little receptionist who welcomes you heartily, sweet Hermelinda (12 years old!!), who studies at school during the day and takes care of guests in the evening. Very good breakfast (fresh squeezed orange juice recommended). try it!

Room Tip: L'unico problema è che l'acqua calda va SEMPRE controllata prima di fare la doccia. Se ci so...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Parts of this hotel, including the breakfast area, were actually built by the Inkans (as was the whole pueblo) and have rock walls and exposed beams. I had a room in the newer section of the hostal on the second floor with a view of the ruins and the sunset. The room was clean and, while not fancy, totally adequate for my needs. The family that runs this place are some of the kindest and most accommodating people I've ever met. Breakfast was good - nothing fancy but they made you eggs if you wanted them. I liked the location and it was a value for the price.

Room Tip: I met some people who stayed in the front rooms and said they were noisy in the morning. My room in...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I thought this place was OK. The owner was super friendly and helpful. The room was fine and clean, although the bathroom was a little smelly. The location, though, is great and I thought the price was reasonable too.

They serve breakfast with bread and eggs and various drinks, including juice and coca tea. It's certainly no hotel, but there aren't exactly any hotels in Ollantaytambo, so this place seemed as good as any.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were slightly disappointed with this place. It was not cheap, in comparison with other, better accommodation we had elsewhere in the sacred valley. Our room was fine but slightly grubby and very cold. the worst thing was that there never seemed to be anyone around, and when we went out we just had to leave our key lying on the front desk which didnt seem hugely secure. water ran out totally for several hours on the first evening. its fine and the location is good, but not amazing atmosphere and poor value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple