“Good food for a good cause.”
Review of Hearts Cafe

Hearts Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Hearts Cafe is a Restaurant specialized in healthy home made food nutritious and ideal for the traveler. Prices are low and the meals are generous and well presented the service is personalized.Most workers are competent in basic English.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Located at the corner street between the town center and the way to the train, this restaurant had great food. My husband ordered the grilled trout with mashed potatoes and he swears by it - even my picky son tried it and he loved it. However, they did misunderstood his pizza order with just cheese and brought out a veggie pizza which of course we ended up packing it to go and my husband ate it later that night, so make sure you repeat and re-repeat your order to be clear. My son's second order was a grilled cheese sandwich, it is served in whole wheat home-made bread. It was good, but do not expect the American kids to love the cheese. He ate half of it, but I think that mostly from hunger (I later ate the other half and it was good; the white cheese does have a strong unfamiliar flavor though). I had an chicken avocado sandwich which was delicious, but it does come served by itself (no salad or potatoes with it).

Although you may be tempted to seat outside (like we did) I do not recommend it. The tables get super dusty from all the cars and buses going by and you have to keep your drink cover or you drink dust and flies.

After traveling to many local restaurants, I think this place is good but a bit overpriced. I guess since the profits go to a charity, you may just see it as a good deed. The local girl they had helping was not in a good mood and was somewhat rude, maybe it just wasn't her day. But another British lady that took our order was very nice.

There are newer reviews for Hearts Cafe

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Surprisingly the best coffee I had in Peru, fantastic food as well. Went there twice on the first day, couldn't get enough of it. Lots of vegetarian options and great prices too!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Hearts Cafe was recommended by the staff at Apu Lodge, and we were glad they mentioned this one.
The banana pancakes are worth the rave reviews and make this cafe a breakfast destination in the town. The omelets were very good as well. Service was quick and very friendly and the prices were very reasonable.

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

The food here is delicious and the profits help people in rural communities everyone's a winner, I ate here quite a few times as I worked just across the street and every meal was good! The set menu is very good value, also try the cookies! The chicken stir fry was one of my favourites along with the full breakfast!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great food, reasonable prices, great vegetarian selection, free wifi, comfy seating,and a totally worthy and inspiring charity. What more could you ask for? We wanted to branch out and try different restaurants but we kept finding ourselves back here. Wish I had one at home!